The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ummmmmmmm talking about themselves all the time, lack of interest in the other person, lack of fun spirit...complaining about their problems all the time?
Reply 2
I think what makes someone boring, or at least appear so, is lack of common ground. If say, I were to talk about rowing to you for ages and ages and the technical ins and outs (which I could quite easily do), you'd find it incredibly boring, unless you were as into rowing as me then in which case you'd think it was really interesting (in the same way school/lectures are sometimes boring). I think what makes a person boring is someone whos not able to understand in certain situations, certain conversations are not socially appropriate as the other person will have no interest in them. I think an extension of this hypothesis would be to suggest autistic people are more likely to come across as boring, than people without autism. I dont know if this is true, but it would be of interest if anyone knows of a study. Ok, thats enough of that...
Reply 3
Anonymous
ummmmmmmm talking about themselves all the time, lack of interest in the other person, lack of fun spirit...complaining about their problems all the time?

I think this. The two most boring people I know either talk about themselves all the time or talk about other people's business. You can't get a word in edge ways.
iwwhty
I think this. The two most boring people I know either talk about themselves all the time or talk about other people's business. You can't get a word in edge ways.
Most people aren’t inherently boring, they just find it difficult to relate to other people to a point where they just sort of hook.
Talk about themselves only.
No common interest = awkward (sometimes).
Sheep - always agreeing.
No initiative.
Reply 6
not having any opinions/ideas/thoughts of their own and seeing things in a very one dimensional narrow-minded way whilst lacking any imagination.

i also find 'normal' people quite boring, y'know the type who have the stereotypical 'normal' upbringing/family/friends/life etc. but that's just a personal thing because i find it really hard to connect with them. :biggrin:
raisin.
not having any opinions/ideas/thoughts of their own and seeing things in a very one dimensional narrow-minded way whilst lacking any imagination.

i also find 'normal' people quite boring, y'know the type who have the stereotypical 'normal' upbringing/family/friends/life etc. but that's just a personal thing because i find it really hard to connect with them. :biggrin:

what was your upbringing like?
Reply 8
People who have no sense of humour are boring, but then again if they are too immature they can be well annoying.
Reply 9
Everyone's been describing me. :frown:
Reply 10
Someone I know decided to have a twenty minute conversation with me about sell by dates and how amazing it was that they were considering getting rid of them ...
Skoji
Everyone's been describing me. :frown:

Perhaps it's a hint to change
Reply 12
Anonymous
what was your upbringing like?

well i wouldn't consider it to be amazingly 'out of the ordinary' but at the same time it certainly wasn't stereotypically normal, so yeah.

my point was that i find it difficult to connect with people who have never experienced anything other than complete and utter pleasant normality, because they're often very narrow-minded and i find that boring. but as i said, that's just personal opinion, and on reading it back it does make me sound like a bit of a.. well. :rolleyes:

i know what i meant though.
Reply 13
raisin.
my point was that i find it difficult to connect with people who have never experienced anything other than complete and utter pleasant normality, because they're often very narrow-minded and i find that boring.

In other words you're into scat
All work and no play makes a person dull :P
falls_whisper
Talk about themselves only.
No common interest = awkward (sometimes).
Sheep - always agreeing.
No initiative.

This.

And also no sense of humour/doesn't smile at all makes someone VERY boring.
Reply 16
EmmaPeep
Someone I know decided to have a twenty minute conversation with me about sell by dates and how amazing it was that they were considering getting rid of them ...

One of my flatmates is like this. She talks non-stop about completely mundane things. Even when she realises no one cares, she carries on. It's so weird.

In fact, all of my flatmates are boring. They have no energy/strong emotion about anything and seem scared when I show any (they ask me if I'm ok). They hate parties and would rather just watch tv and do nothing. One of the girls says she likes going out but after about an hour wants to go home, and gets scared about people drinking even though she drinks a bit herself. :curious:
People who don't contribute to the conversation.my school friends are like this and i'm always the one to think of what to talk about.i guess we just don't have common interests but surely they could think of something?
Reply 18
martin101
I think what makes someone boring, or at least appear so, is lack of common ground. If say, I were to talk about rowing to you for ages and ages and the technical ins and outs (which I could quite easily do), you'd find it incredibly boring, unless you were as into rowing as me then in which case you'd think it was really interesting (in the same way school/lectures are sometimes boring). I think what makes a person boring is someone whos not able to understand in certain situations, certain conversations are not socially appropriate as the other person will have no interest in them. I think an extension of this hypothesis would be to suggest autistic people are more likely to come across as boring, than people without autism. I dont know if this is true, but it would be of interest if anyone knows of a study. Ok, thats enough of that...

Good reply.
It's looking all relative... =/
Reply 19
raisin.
well i wouldn't consider it to be amazingly 'out of the ordinary' but at the same time it certainly wasn't stereotypically normal, so yeah.

my point was that i find it difficult to connect with people who have never experienced anything other than complete and utter pleasant normality, because they're often very narrow-minded and i find that boring. but as i said, that's just personal opinion, and on reading it back it does make me sound like a bit of a.. well. :rolleyes:

i know what i meant though.

I do know what you're talking about!

But lately I've been thinking my own approach to people. How do you actually know whether people are normal or not? A 'normal' looking individual could have experienced lots of things, that they're not keen on talking about with people they aren't close to. So if you aren't close to them, you'd never know they had a secret.

The idea of normal really seems to become pointless in that sense. People could have their own little quirks, that they just aren't very expressive about initially.

Latest

Trending

Trending