The Student Room Group

Primary Education - Clearing.

Two of my choices came back unsucessful, the third that i had an interview was too unsucessful. I have two more interviews but if these are unsucessful can i go through clearing through primary education, as its an interview course|

If this is a no, could i do another course such as Physical Education if i havnt applied for that course at that university?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

clatkins1
Two of my choices came back unsucessful, the third that i had an interview was too unsucessful. I have two more interviews but if these are unsucessful can i go through clearing through primary education, as its an interview course|

If this is a no, could i do another course such as Physical Education if i havnt applied for that course at that university?

Thanks.

UCAS Extra would be a better route to go down since you'd have much more time for interviews etc, although they can ask for interviews for clearing places too. Extra is for people who are rejected from all of their choices or who choose to decline all their offers. It begins at the end of February and allows you to select one extra course/uni choice at a time to make an application until you get an offer that you want to accept. I would have thought that there is a good chance of primary education places being available in extra.

and yes, you could do a different course through either extra or clearing if you wished, although you would need to ask about submitting a new personal statement appropriate to the course if you wanted to do this.
Reply 2
Thank You, UCAS Extra looks worth looking at. :smile:

Do you know if there was may places through clearing last year?
clatkins1
Thank You, UCAS Extra looks worth looking at. :smile:

Do you know if there was may places through clearing last year?

I'm not sure... but there were very few decent places in clearing for anything last year since university places are so competitive right now. It's quite possible there will be some places in Extra though as I know there are still places for PGCEs.
Reply 4
Thank You.
Reply 5
it may also be wise to ask the uni's why you were unsucessful because primary ed is the kind of job where if you get rejected from that many uni's maybe it's not the course for you. I don't want to sounds mean but it's something i was warned about from all the uni's for that course which i applied to. All the best of luck though! x
Reply 6
I'd echo recommendations to ask why you were rejected - do you definitely meet the entry requirements (in terms of grades and work experience)?
clatkins1

Thanks.

Where have you applied? Where are your interviews for?
Last year there were definitely some Primary Education courses in Extra but not many-I remember looking before I got my offer!
Reply 8
Well when i applied i hadnt done any work experience because my CRB took so long to come through so thats possibly why i was unsucessful, okay i will have a look then possibly through extra, or even say i have started work experience. I applied for:
- Herts
- Middlesex - Interview soon
- Canterbury
- Anglia Ruskin
- Oxford Brookes - Interview soon

All primary education.
Good luck with the 2 interviews. Getting an interview is good, the courses are very competetive something I found out last year. I applied for 5 and only got 1 offer but it's turned out well in the end and I am sure it will for you too.
Reply 10
When I went for my Brighton interview we were told if you dont get in, apply through clearing if there are places as they would rather have someone they knew and had interviewed rather than a total unknown :smile:
I don't know if this applies to any of your Uni's but thought you might like to know.

But do take everyone elses advice before this as its probably the best option :_
Good luck
xx
natt5253
When I went for my Brighton interview we were told if you dont get in, apply through clearing if there are places as they would rather have someone they knew and had interviewed rather than a total unknown :smile:
I don't know if this applies to any of your Uni's but thought you might like to know.

But do take everyone elses advice before this as its probably the best option :_
Good luck
xx

They have to interview for teaching courses - if you applied to a new university through clearing they would still have to give you an interview before they offered you a place as no one can be given one without going through this stage, and it can't be by phone either.

So if it gets to clearing don't just stick to places you've already been rejected from if somewhere else seems better :smile:
Reply 12
ow :\ i had 3 interviews for social work and got declined from them all. i must have sucked that hard or they just didnt want me haha!
best of luck tho, theres always next year :smile:
Reply 13
That's what im thinking, there is always next year. Glad im not the only one!
Don't worry I got unsuccessful from Canterbury too but got offers from other places so don't worry there is always hope out there! also I had been doing a few days a week for a while at at primary school but not much.. If you don't have any experience in a school maybe you could think of any other times where you have come into contact with children?!?! (and use that as an example of your experience!) I got unsuccessful from Canterbury then went away and did loads of research into educational issues and looked up possible interview questions like 'What challenges do teachers face?' ...stuff like that which really paid off! I found its best to be prepared as possible beforehand so you make more of an impression! Good luck though!!!!!!! xx
Also have you thought about doing something like early childhood studies then a pgce???? that way you still get alot of experience in a class room because my friends sister is doing it and is really enjoying it! I was going to look that up in clearing because its similar to the primary education (and not all of them require interviews to get onto the course) as far as I know... :s-smilie: x
Amywoody2009
Also have you thought about doing something like early childhood studies then a pgce???? that way you still get alot of experience in a class room because my friends sister is doing it and is really enjoying it! I was going to look that up in clearing because its similar to the primary education (and not all of them require interviews to get onto the course) as far as I know... :s-smilie: x

This is good advice and the OP may get a childhood studies or education studies course offered to them instead of the primay education course they have applied to (Middlesex and Oxford Brookes both do early childhood studies and education studies), after they have been to interview. I got offered education studies when I applied without getting an interview but it can happen afterwards too. :smile:
clatkins1
Well when i applied i hadnt done any work experience because my CRB took so long to come through so thats possibly why i was unsucessful, okay i will have a look then possibly through extra, or even say i have started work experience. I applied for:
- Herts
- Middlesex - Interview soon
- Canterbury
- Anglia Ruskin
- Oxford Brookes - Interview soon

All primary education.

When are your two remaining interviews? They coming up soon now?
Don't you need at least 2 weeks work experience in a classroom to be considered for a primary education degree?
Reply 19
I had one Yesturday and waiting now. The other one is Thursday, but i really want the one yesturday i had. And i have had one weeks im doing the second at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending