The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5720
Clubber Lang
I am pretty sure Puyol is capable of merking Arsenal with some GSL.

Who are Arsenal gonna GEL with anyway, Walcott?
SOL GEL.

In GEL news, I had a pizza express dessert coffee, called a Cafe GELato :facepalm2:

I could scarcely believe me luck :awesome:
Reply 5721
RobbieC
And I'm liking you more and more as a member... you're very welcome in this soc, and I apologise if I ever misjudged you for being a Bolton fan.

:top2: np, all in good humour
Reply 5722
n1r4v
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/02/23/stuttgart-1-1-barcelona-gross-gets-things-right-but-stuttgart-dont-make-it-count-when-they-were-in-top/
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/17/barcelona-4-0-stuttgart-messi-guardiola-4-2-4/

Thought that sounded familiar :tongue::

However, I'm confident Wenger will play the 4-3-3 / 4-1-4-1 formation and if you look at that excellent diagram, the two wide midfielders (most probably Arshavin + another wide player) would be retained, just as Hleb and Gebhart were unantagonised in the tie. Meanwhile, the midfield triumvirate of Fabregas, Song and most probably Diaby will occupy Barca's midfield. So I think the 4-1-4-1 Wenger usually uses will retain the benefits of 4-4-2, but it will also provide added strength in midfield (something that is obviously crucial against the likes of the near-insurmountable Barca midfield)

However, I completely agree with you in your empirical comments; theory doesn't equate to practice and Barca's only shortcomings this season has been when the opposition have "played their own game" with high intensity to breaking point. I think Wenger will watch the games where Barca have struggled and try and to exploit them in that sense, but those games haven't necessarily been the theoretically / tactically "optimal" solution. I guess we'll have to wait and see :yes:

Yep, ******* brilliant site tbh. Thought I'd cut it in, plagiarism tbf :teehee: but it got the message I hope.
Reply 5723
n1r4v

However, I completely agree with you in your empirical comments; theory doesn't equate to practice and Barca's only shortcomings this season has been when the opposition have "played their own game" with high intensity to breaking point. I think Wenger will watch the games where Barca have struggled and try and to exploit them in that sense, but those games haven't necessarily been the theoretically / tactically "optimal" solution. I guess we'll have to wait and see :yes:

Agreedm even the teams that have beat Barca and done it very well tire at the end of it and almost lose it.

An interesting stat.

-Barcelona under Pep Guardiola have never lost by more than one goal.

Arsenal really have to play this well.
The best thing about getting Barca is that they should try and play football properly, which will benefit us, but also we're massive underdogs. We normally are very anxious against Chelsea and United because we're under pressure to get a result and that inhibits our play, but against Barca we won't be expected to progress. I think this will help us and we have more than enough quality to punish them plus motivation shouldn't be a problem.

As for West Ham tomorrow, we should get the win but we sometimes find it difficult against them so we can't take it for granted. Need Bendtner to keep this scoring run going, and I want to see Theo start because he's been playing well recently and I think he'd test West Ham's defence.
I'm seriously wondering where/if Nasri will play. If we go with a 4-3-3 it will most likely be Cesc/Song/Diaby, with Arshavin/Eboue or Walcott/Bendtner up front.
sandeep90
I'm seriously wondering where/if Nasri will play. If we go with a 4-3-3 it will most likely be Cesc/Song/Diaby, with Arshavin/Eboue or Walcott/Bendtner up front.

He'd come on for Diaby or Rosicky/Walcott, unless Wenger decides to play him alongside Cesc, who knows?
Reply 5727
Team for WHam?

I reckon Wenger will go for:

Almunia
Sagna-Campbell-Vermaelen-Clichy
Song-Diaby
Fabregas
Nasri-Bendtner-Arshavin

Wenger won't risk starting Rosicky I don't think. Eduardo is in desperate need of some game time now that he seems to be behind Bendtner in the pecking order.

Anyone seen the Champion's League leading goal scorers? I swear when it flashed up briefly on SSN this morning it said that Bendtner was 2nd with four goals! :teehee:
Stalin
He'd come on for Diaby or Rosicky/Walcott, unless Wenger decides to play him alongside Cesc, who knows?

Who would you play along with Arshavin and Bendtner in the forward trident Stalin, Rosicky or Eboue?

I would personally go for Eboue.
West Ham are absolutely ****, you should be beating them 5-0. Spectors one of the worst right backs in your league, whoever your left midfielder is will have a field day.
cfc1992
West Ham are absolutely ****, you should be beating them 5-0. Spectors one of the worst right backs in your league, whoever your left midfielder is will have a field day.

To be honest, bar your late surge against them they actually played quite well against you and I was expecting a draw. Nevertheless we should have a comfortable win tomorrow.
sandeep90
Who would you play along with Arshavin and Bendtner in the forward trident Stalin, Rosicky or Eboue?

I would personally go for Eboue.

Almunia
Sagna Campbell Vermaelen Clichy/Eboue
Song
Diaby Cesc
Rosicky Bendtner Arshavin

Rosicky Bendtner Arshavin to start with, expect to see Walcott or even Nasri replacing Rosicky at some point.

I think the question is Clichy or Eboue rather than Arshavin or Eboue, can Clichy handle Messi or would Eboue do a better job. Remember the first game is at home, so do we press forward to get ourselves flowing, creating chances and ultimatley, finishing them or do we maximise our defence in order to avoid conceding a goal at home?
geoff_yin
Team for WHam?

I reckon Wenger will go for:

Almunia
Sagna-Campbell-Vermaelen-Clichy
Song-Diaby
Fabregas
Nasri-Bendtner-Arshavin

Wenger won't risk starting Rosicky I don't think. Eduardo is in desperate need of some game time now that he seems to be behind Bendtner in the pecking order.

Anyone seen the Champion's League leading goal scorers? I swear when it flashed up briefly on SSN this morning it said that Bendtner was 2nd with four goals! :teehee:

Bendtner must be played in order to gain anything prior to the Barcelona game. Moreover, playing Eduardo is a huge risk, considering that we must win our remaining games, keeping the pressure on the other two and hoping that other teams do us favours, especially Liverpool and Man City, who also, must grab as many points as they can.

I doubt we'll see Rosicky at all tomorrow, Walcott could start though instead of Nasri. Other than that, I can't see Wenger playing Diaby as a DM, but I understand your point.

This is the first time I've actually heard the full version of the Champions League theme, pretty good song...
Stalin
Almunia
Sagna Campbell Vermaelen Clichy/Eboue
Song
Diaby Cesc
Rosicky Bendtner Arshavin

Rosicky Bendtner Arshavin to start with, expect to see Walcott or even Nasri replacing Rosicky at some point.

I think the question is Clichy or Eboue rather than Arshavin or Eboue, can Clichy handle Messi or would Eboue do a better job. Remember the first game is at home, so do we press forward to get ourselves flowing, creating chances and ultimatley, finishing them or do we maximise our defence in order to avoid conceding a goal at home?

I think you may be right about Clichy tbh, I can't see him containing Messi at all.

But would Eboue be able to slot in at LB just like that? Could be a risk experimenting in a tie like this.
Reply 5735
cfc1992

Arshavin. :cool:
sandeep90
I think you may be right about Clichy tbh, I can't see him containing Messi at all.

But would Eboue be able to slot in at LB just like that? Could be a risk experimenting in a tie like this.

Messi rarely goes past his man, but prefers to cut inside, thus rendering a very left footed player almost useless. Eboue at LB is actually a very good shout, but only if he's given specific instructions. The only concern I'd have, if I were a Gooner, is Eboue's effectiveness going forward from LB.
sandeep90

Which is why it might be wiser using him tomorrow at LB and then against Birmingham, with that being said it would humiliate Clichy completely, possibly destroying any confidence get gained during his spell back from injury, would Eboue do a better job than Clichy at LB, I don't work with the players everyday, so I couldn't possibly tell you.
Reply 5738
Eboue to do a Bosingwa?
Clichy will play left back and I'm confident with his pace he could contain Messi as he has done to Ronaldo on several occassions. The important part will be that he will have to inhibit his play, which I believe he can do. Instead of bombing forward all the time, he will just have to sit back a bit more and be very selective as of when to get forward.

Latest