The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hubert Poo

Lloris. Ah. Most likely possibility imo. I would be quite, quite happy to go into next season with him as a single purchase provided we retained the rest of the squad.

Especially since Wenger gets first refusal on every frenchmen in the world.

There's more to being a goalkeeper then just stopping shots. They've got to organise and orchestrate the defence both in normal play and at set pieces. Without a strong character in goal you get a nervous defence, some of the contemptful looks Gallas gives almunia are frightening. That's why I'm kinda glad we didn't go in for Given, he's a shotstopper but doesn't really own the penalty area.

Kevmeister
I'd wager that he'd probably scare Vermaelen too, tbh. :yep:

Nothing scares the Verminator.
Reply 1141
Why is everyone saying Diaby is dead? Seriously, don't even suggest it. Just a niggle, surely?
Kevmeister
Neuer is pretty damn good. Imagine a strong German accent shouting at Clichy for most of the afternoon, that'd make him **** his pants, tbpfh. There'd be none of this 'lets shake hands because you did your job' nonsense, he'd just shout at them to get back into position. I'd wager that he'd probably scare Vermaelen too, tbh. :yep:

**** it, bring in Oliver Kahn.
Louis1991
Obviously there are many other factors but a good, reliable keeper is essential to a title winning team.

Indeed. A world class keeper is a bonus but having a reliable, consistant keeper who doesn't (often) make mistakes and who can a build a solid back five with his defence is key to having any real consistency.
Louis1991
Valdes isn't as bad as people make out, tbh.

Agreed. He was better than Dida from 2006 onwards really. Who is the most average goalkeeper to be in a successful top European side?
Kevmeister
Neuer is pretty damn good. Imagine a strong German accent shouting at Clichy for most of the afternoon, that'd make him **** his pants, tbpfh. There'd be none of this 'lets shake hands because you did your job' nonsense, he'd just shout at them to get back into position. I'd wager that he'd probably scare Vermaelen too, tbh. :yep:

A particularly vocal keeper is something I think we'd benefit hugely from. Someone very communicative. What I would give for a Schmeichel. :frown:

NDGAARONDI
Are you sure? I'm not sure how much of an attempt Arsenal did, if at all, with Given. He would have had a great chance to win the CL if he went to Arsenal. I know everyone needs to make a living and most of us love money, though this is often surpressed, but after you've earned a fair bit honours have even more importance than more money surely?

Lloris speaks the right language. :p:

My gut feeling is that for whatever reason Arsene was interested but wavered. Whether that was economic or ability dependent I just don't know, but one thing I think we can be sure of is Arsene would absolutely not risk a Melo/Robinho/Baptista type of situation with the keeper - though we're generally excellent at under the radar deals, I have a teeny tiny suspicion that one of the reasons may have been that when hearing City might be interested Arsene pulled out fearing that getting rejected would simply be far too dangerous. Given may very well have, in seeing his options, plumped for us. But that's not the point. The point is risk assessment - replacing a keeper is the most tricky one to handle. It's not something you can generally go back on very easily if at all if any deal were to fall through and rumours within the game got a head of steam. Arsene's a clever man, and generally tries to be honest with his players. But at the right moment ffs. :p:

One of the reasons that got me interested on the Sorensen thing was Arsene's reaction - I strongly suspect he was looking at replacing him last summer and in this recent window but without the opportunity of a "clean kill", so to speak, decided to wait.

As such, I would genuinely be shocked if Almunia is here next season.

And yes, Lloris does. :p:
marcusmerehay
He is a player who definitely deserves a trophy though. Hasn't he only won an Inter-Toto Cup or something?

Yep. Compare his honours list with Wes Brown. Oh dear. :facepalm2:
marcusmerehay
I think Given was more than aware he only has 3 or 4 years left in him and would much rather have a nice pension to live off than be bothered about trophies.

He is a player who definitely deserves a trophy though. Hasn't he only won an Inter-Toto Cup or something?

He did win the First Division title with Sunderland.

He's also amassed 102 caps for Ireland.
voodoomagic
They've got to organise and orchestrate the defence both in normal play and at set pieces. Without a strong character in goal you get a nervous defence, some of the contemptful looks Gallas gives almunia are frightening.

Precisely.

Don't think I'm the one going for shot stoppers here. :p: It's a Wengerian trait which I believe, unusually for him, is something of a relic as to how the Premier League's successful keepers used to be typecast.
The thing is just a few minutes before the backpass happened, the exact same thing happened with Sagna and Fabianski and we luckily got away with it because of good play from Sagna. He had a go at Fabianski and told him to make himself clear but then the same thing happened again and we got punished. If Fabianski is going to be successful he needs to be more authoritative.
Reply 1150
Hubert Poo
Precisely.

Don't think I'm the one going for shot stoppers here. :p: It's a Wengerian trait which I believe, unusually for him, is something of a relic as to how the Premier League's successful keepers used to be typecast.
I actually think that it's more contemporary, the notion of a goalkeeper's primary use to be stopping shots... and it is widespread.

I can think of very few goallies indeed who are capable of exceeding mediocrity in areas other than shot-stopping.

Most keepers in the league seem almost designed for the purpose of being able to make hollywood saves, but fail to organise and lack decision making abilities: see Gomes, Robinson, Fabianski, Jaaskalainen, Myhill, Given, Reina and a few others for such trait imbalance.

The days of Seaman's and Schmeichel's are kinda gone tbfh.
I always said Lehman was severely underrated. He was part of a defence that went a whole season unbeaten, and neither Lauren, Toure or Cole were great when it came to organising. Almunia has had more than enough time to his prove his worth, he's been at the club for six years now. Fabianski is too young and experienced. I still think he is a very very good backup against 16 of the other 19 teams in the prem, which should be just about good enough for Wenger to believe in him now. Someone like Friedel/Sorenson would do a decent job for us, however I am not suggesting we sign them.
RobbieC
I actually think that it's more contemporary, the notion of a goalkeeper's primary use to be stopping shots... and it is widespread.

I can think of very few goallies indeed who are capable of exceeding mediocrity in areas other than shot-stopping.

Most keepers in the league seem almost designed for the purpose of being able to make hollywood saves, but fail to organise and lack decision making abilities: see Gomes, Robinson, Fabianski, Jaaskalainen, Myhill, Given, Reina and a few others for such trait imbalance.

The days of Seaman's and Schmeichel's are kinda gone tbfh.

I think Given is more than just hollywood saves tbh. He's like a poor mans Cassillas, but still worldclass. Reina I feel is overrated though.
i agree with this about a keeper organising the defence- he can see where they need to be more than they can. Lloris would be an excellent choice i feel (despite FM preaching his expensiveness)- as well as Neuer. There is also the other German, Rene Adler, who is equally good as Neuer, and slighty more experienced. There are also the more experienced frenchmen, such as Steve Mandanda, Sebastian Frey and Cedric Carrasso. I agree with the analysis of Akinfeev- expensive, hollywood save type, who can only be beaten, it seems, from corners and high IFKs; both of which is where we are naturally weak defensively anyway- DO NOT WANT.
Then, there is Sergio Asenjo of Atletico Madrid- young, mouldable with undeniable natural ability; but expensive and naturally not as mature.

there is an abundance of worthwhile goalkeepers out there; Bogdan Lobont, Leo Franco, Guillermo Ochoa, hell, maybe even Peter Shilton may decide to come back again! :P

i do hate one particular news- rumour about 4-5 years ago i remember. torturing my naive, teenage mind into thinking Wenger was close to signing Gianluigi Buffon. :P
Campbell a maybe for sunday

Heard on 5live that Gallas will be out for a fortnight as well.

Silvestre ftw..
I'd rather have Kyle Bartley there.
Isometrix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHolIsV0ZGg

even in real!

Lloris would cost too much for Arsenal i feel..

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
He is amazing.
Lehman scared toure ffs. We need someone like that again
Ochoa is on the cover of US fifa 09, he's amazing :coma:
That Mexican GK is alright, too bad he's probably a drug lord.
Out of interest, how many Arsenal fans would consider Toure, Vieira and Adebayor Arsenal rejects?

Latest