The Student Room Group
I think any competently designed course will have a maths/stats module, but nothing beyond A-level. My personal opinion is that maths and particularly physics teach you to think in a certain way which improves your problem solving abilities...

They arent requirements for any biochem courses i looked at, but they're certainly desirable subjects... :p:
Well I'm hoping to apply for Chemistry and I know that Maths modules are generally taught in the first year (or at least some point in the course), I would have personally thought it much more useful for you to have done AS maths at least since it would cover the basics of advanced statistics and differentiation/integration which would be very useful in the field of biochemistry. I wouldn't, however, say that Maths is an essential requirement and it isn't a major part of the course though some understand of statistics/graph interpretation would very useful for you to study in your own time.

I shouldn't worry about it too much, good luck on getting in :smile:
Reply 3
i've applied for 2010 biochemistry. i don't do maths, but i do a2 physics, as well as biology and chemistry.
the places i applied for don't require maths, but if you don't have it then they want physics: they just want proof of your maths skills because gcse is too basic, i suppose.
Reply 4
I knew absolutely nada about physics when I did biomedical, which at our uni was quite similar to the biochem syllabus in the 1st year. There was also only one maths module I think as well, the same as ours, and it was mostly stats and basic stuff geared towards the calculations you would need to use in lab work, so you should probably know a lot of this from chemistry anyway. It's pretty easy stuff and I to be honest was way below what I had done at A level.
Reply 5
foxyamy
I knew absolutely nada about physics when I did biomedical, which at our uni was quite similar to the biochem syllabus in the 1st year. There was also only one maths module I think as well, the same as ours, and it was mostly stats and basic stuff geared towards the calculations you would need to use in lab work, so you should probably know a lot of this from chemistry anyway. It's pretty easy stuff and I to be honest was way below what I had done at A level.

Which uni did you go to? I'm thinking about trying for Oxford because I'm predicted all As (which I'm never going to get in Physics), but the MSc courses at Birmingham & Sheffield look really good; lots of modules on genetics, which is the most interesting part, and they only see Biology & Chemistry as necessary subjects.
Reply 6
BlueSheep32
Which uni did you go to? I'm thinking about trying for Oxford because I'm predicted all As (which I'm never going to get in Physics), but the MSc courses at Birmingham & Sheffield look really good; lots of modules on genetics, which is the most interesting part, and they only see Biology & Chemistry as necessary subjects.

I only went to Lincoln - probably not something to aspire to if you're gonna get all As! If I were you I would totally go for Oxford with those predicted grades.
Reply 7
foxyamy
I only went to Lincoln - probably not something to aspire to if you're gonna get all As! If I were you I would totally go for Oxford with those predicted grades.

Thanks :smile:. I just went to a meeting about trying for Oxbridge today, am I scared!
math is not too advanced. more statistical. imperial college lists out biophysics as one of the modules in biochem but the entire physics A-Levels is not necessary. Neverthless one of math or physics is preferred as imperial is a competitive place and receives applications from excellent candidates. I got an offer with bio, chem and math (A for bio and chem, B for math.)
Reply 9
I emailed the Imperial admissions tutor about it, and he said that they do prefer Chemistry, Biology & Maths, but he also said that good grades are important, so I will still stand a good chance if I drop Physics and get really good grades in my other subjects (I think I've done pretty badly in Physics, the January exam went horribly!).

Latest

Trending

Trending