The Student Room Group

(How and) can I appeal this rejection?

Newcastle rejected me for dentistry because they said they do not consider resit candidates...

Unfortunately we do not consider resit students for entry to the BDS course at Newcastle.

fair enough, this is one of their policies...

BUT

I rang them twice prior to applying and told them about my extenuating circumstances. I even sent them evidence. They said in this case, they will consider me....so I email them back after finding out why I had been rejected, explaining to them saying that you said you'l consider me due to extn circumstances. They then responded saying "You have been considered for a place and your difficult family circumstances were taken into account, but unfortunately your academic profile is weak overall at GCSE and AS level. These qualifications were taken prior to the commencement of your family difficulties and I'm afraid that your application simply isn't strong enough to compete with the large number of outstanding applications we have received."

Can I appeal this...my AS levels were AAB...and my GCSE's exceeded the requirements
Reply 1
sure try init.
No. They couldn't be clearer. In their opinion your exams were taken before your family problems so there is no mitigation is what they're saying.
Reply 3
There simply were candidates better than you so I dont know why you want to appeal the situation.
You exceeded the minimum but many others would have far exceeded the minimum. Technically you could apply to Oxbridge with 5 C's but you would be rejected because there are applicants who have performed better.
Reply 5
You have been considered for a place and your difficult family circumstances were taken into account, but unfortunately your academic profile is weak overall at GCSE and AS level. These qualifications were taken prior to the commencement of your family difficulties and I'm afraid that your application simply isn't strong enough to compete with the large number of outstanding applications we have received."

From that statement i think its pretty clear. there are loads of applicants who exceed the criteria but do not get a place, it sucks. The criteria are just a benchmark, they look at other stuff such as extracurricular activities etc, and make an overall decision on that.
You still have 3 other choices, hopefully you will get an offer from one of them, or you can try the graduate dentistry route like i did.
Reply 6
They probably have enough people that they definitely want to give offers to. Unfortunately I don't think appealing will affect their decision.
Reply 7
You could try but when I got rejected from glasgow after interview last year and had ext circs they said that whilst they sympathise with my situation theres nothing they can do - its like a job application and there is no formal appeal process either. However that was glasgow and newcastle might have a different policy - I'd give a try anyway you've got nothing to lose by it :smile:
Reply 8
Rejections are hard like :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending