The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle vs London - Cost of living

Hello,

I've been wondering about the cost of living in Newcastle compared to London. I'm sure that the overall cost of living is significantly higher in London. However, if you take a part time job in London, there is a way higher chance that a) you will find the job easier / earlier compared to Newcastle, b) you will get a higher wage. So, aren't you going to save up more money in London than you would in Newcastle in the end?

Thank you!

Jay
No. The chance of finding jobs is a lot lower especially in this economic climate combined with the city's population. I live in London and applied for summer jobs where there were apparently 100 applicants for a single position in typical student jobs. Also chances are you are going to uni in central London which has no shortage of people applying to jobs and a large percentage of them will be more attractive to employers as they do not have the same commitments to doing a full time degree as you will. For part time jobs there won't be that much discrepancy in wages either. Most of the typical student jobs pay close to minimum per hour and you would be lucky to get a job that will pay more than £6 an hour. In short Newcastle is most definitley cheaper than London
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
If nothing else, the student nights I've been to in London have been a HELL of a lot more expensive. Where else can you get trebles for £2? A pint of skittles? a 4(?) bottle bouqet for £4? SINNERS!!!
Reply 3
ah sinners, how i love you

yeah newcastle is cheap as chips :smile: and there are student jobs around you just have to look for them, i think you are more likely to get one up in newcastle too because there are fewer unis, arent there like a million in london?!

Latest

Trending

Trending