The Student Room Group

Caring for new tattoos

I just got my first tattoo yesterday, and I was busy admiring it when the guy was telling me how to look after it properly, and there seems to be so many things that people reccomend, and i havent really got any further than not getting it wet and putting savlon on it, i was wandering if anyone has any reccomendations for how to look after it more so it comes out better and I don't have to go and get it recoloured.
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
I thought you had to be 18 to get a tattoo?!

I don't have any, but from what I've heard if you keep the dry and clean then they'll be ok :smile: Sorry I couldn't be much help hun!
Reply 3
what if you change your mind, and want to remove it ? costly isnt it ?
Reply 4
Try to keep it dry and covered up for the next day or two. I found getting some adhesive dressings helped as it drew out a lot of the excess fluid and gunk which will prevent you getting any infections.

If you do get some dressings, remember to get some micropore tape too!!

Something like in the link is really good. Depepnding on the size and where on your body that tattoo is then ensure you have a waterproof dressing over the tattoo whilst showering etc for the first few days.

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1009410&classificationid=1036070&slmRefer=000

Make sure you change the dressings regularly too. And enjoy your new tattoo!!! :wink: I am still pondering on what to get done for my second one :biggrin:
Reply 5
mynameis

Well that's why you have to be certain about getting a tattoo, understanding that it will be there for life unless you want to go throguh laser treatment for removal!!!. You have to decide on the location of it, design, do you want it somewhere visible or somewhere you can cover it up for occasions.

It's not something you rush into doing. I have no regrets about getting my tattoo and plan on getting a second one done :biggrin: .
Reply 6
dashboardphotos
I just got my first tattoo yesterday, and I was busy admiring it when the guy was telling me how to look after it properly, and there seems to be so many things that people reccomend, and i havent really got any further than not getting it wet and putting savlon on it, i was wandering if anyone has any reccomendations for how to look after it more so it comes out better and I don't have to go and get it recoloured.
Thanks!

Ummm it is a criminal offence to tattoo anyone under the age of 18, except for medical reasons.

Marcus
Reply 7
mynameis

That wasn't the question.
you're an idiot, and i don't care if i get neg repped for this.
Reply 8
niamhster
Try to keep it dry and covered up for the next day or two. I found getting some adhesive dressings helped as it drew out a lot of the excess fluid and gunk which will prevent you getting any infections.

If you do get some dressings, remember to get some micropore tape too!!

Something like in the link is really good. Depepnding on the size and where on your body that tattoo is then ensure you have a waterproof dressing over the tattoo whilst showering etc for the first few days.

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1009410&classificationid=1036070&slmRefer=000

Make sure you change the dressings regularly too. And enjoy your new tattoo!!! :wink: I am still pondering on what to get done for my second one :biggrin:

Exactly what she said, plus don't scratch it however much it itches!!
If you pick or scratch it whilst it is still healing, you will pick off the ink and end up with a patchy tattoo.

On a side note, I personally didn't use it for mine, but one of my friends who has many tattoos swears by haemorrhoid cream (I just couldn't bring myself to do it!) :biggrin:
Reply 9
My nextdoor neighbour has just had her 2nd tattoo and it's quite a big one on her back. She wore a dressing for about a week on it and changed it daily. It peels a bit so she used cocoa butter gently around the edge with a cotton bud and kept it very clean and moisturised the edges all the time..she was probably over fussy with it!
Reply 10
my mates always put vasaline on theirs when they first had it done.
My one's really quite small so i've not had much trouble with it (although i think i might get it recoloured) and i was advised to keep it constantly moisturised until it healed up :smile:
Reply 12
Just keep slapping on the savlon! I got one done in December, whast yours of?

I hate it when people, on the very mention of the word tattoo have to be negative about it :mad: I love mine and Im gonna get another one very soon, prob in the next few weeks :biggrin:
marcusfox
Ummm it is a criminal offence to tattoo anyone under the age of 18, except for medical reasons.

Marcus

except for medical reasons....:confused:
in the short term keep it bandaged up if you have clothes but do give it time to plenty of time to breath at other times.
long term make sure you ALWAYS put plenty of sun cream on when you have it out in the sun.
Reply 15
vaseline it frequently.
Reply 16
Jamie
except for medical reasons....:confused:

You took the thoughts right out of my head!
What medical reasons could there be for getting a tattoo?
Wow thanks for all the replies!! Has been much help. I've bought some of those boots things and am making sure to keep it dry. For the person who asked what/where it is its a nautical star at the top of my back between my shouder blades, which is good in a way cos it means i can't pick it, but also annoying cos i have to get my sister to look after it, i had her gaffa taping cling film onto it. I was going to use vaseline as a few people have reccoemnded but i heard that it can soak up the ink or something and i didnt wanna take any risks, im not up for paying to get it redone so soon afterwards. I know lots of people are sceptical about tattoos with regrets and stuff but i know that right now i really wanted it doing, the star i got tattood means "follow your dreams" which is how i try and live my life, plus i think it looks damn cool, and i think i'll end up living a really really boring life if i constantly worry about what i might regret in ten years time, and i'm completly comfortable with the fact that it'll be there for the rest of my life, even when im all wrinkly and grose. And the age thing, i'm 18 in two weeks and i was going to get it done on my birthday but i figuired i wanted it nice and healed by then so i got it done now.
dashboardphotos
...And the age thing, i'm 18 in two weeks and i was going to get it done on my birthday but i figuired i wanted it nice and healed by then so i got it done now.

It doesn't make it any less illegal.

Marcus
BellaCat
You took the thoughts right out of my head!
What medical reasons could there be for getting a tattoo?

Medical tattoos are commonly used to delineate permanent landmarks for radiation therapy, information for medical professionals on blood type, allergies and diabetes.

Marcus

Latest

Trending

Trending