The Student Room Group

EU students and bank accounts/cell phone services upon arrival

I know it's really early, but i'm sick at home and really bored so i'll ask anyway.

If I am not mistaken, international students are helped out with setting up bank accounts and UK cell phone services when they arrive, as they arrive a couple of days prior to the start of freshers week. How does all this work out for EU students? Is there time for setting up bank accounts in the hustle and bustle of freshers week or is it recommended to arrive a day earlier or so to fix these things?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You'll have plenty of time to do that, I wouldn't worry about it. Just remember to bring all your documentation. It's far easier setting up an account from someone from the EU than outside.
Also, in terms of mobile phones, you can get a phone on pay as you go in abotu 10 minutes. If your family live in the EU (as mine do) I recommend using 3G as they have a skype application on their mobiles which I often use to call home when I'm out and about.
Reply 2
FlyingIsis
I recommend using 3G as they have a skype application on their mobiles which I often use to call home when I'm out and about.
Sorry, I just wanted to point out that you mean Three, not 3G (which refers to some kind of mobile phone related technology).
Reply 3
Supermerp
Sorry, I just wanted to point out that you mean Three, not 3G (which refers to some kind of mobile phone related technology).

Yes that is exactly what I mean. Well spotted :p:
Reply 4
Is it absolutely necessary to get a British bank account (I'm from Norway, btw)? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
Reply 5
EWS
Is it absolutely necessary to get a British bank account (I'm from Norway, btw)? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

You're going to be in Cambridge for three (or four) years and I take it you will want to withdraw some cash at times, pay for stuff in stores, wire over money for various events etc. If you do this with your home card they will charge a certain percentage every time you do use your card abroad.
Reply 6
Is that percentage incurred due to currency exchange, or is there some hidden fee that's just there for no good reason? Anyway, what's a good (and preferrably somewhat ethical) British bank for (international) students?
EWS
Is that percentage incurred due to currency exchange, or is there some hidden fee that's just there for no good reason? Anyway, what's a good (and preferrably somewhat ethical) British bank for (international) students?

As I understand it as EU students we can get standard free accounts at just about every bank so that's quite useful, but there won't be any overdraft facilities. Don't get an international account as you don't need to and they cost about 90 GBP/year. EDIT: Oh sorry, I see you're not from the EU. I don't know of any free accounts for internationals, sorry.

As for just using your card from home - well I found that my MasterCard doesn't work with tube terminals for some odd reason and Maestro (which my bank uses for debit cards) only works on select ATMs, but doesn't have any extra charges.

The other disadvantage is that foreign checks may not be accepted and every time you want to pay something you'd have to wire transfer money, which is expensive and I don't know if it would be excepted in place of a direct debit/standing order everywhere.
Reply 8
EWS

Oh, silly me, forgot that Norway isn't EU/EEA. Nevertheless, I believe the fees are valid for all banks when using the "home card" abroad. I'm pretty sure you'll both have to prop up a currency exchange percentage and a bunch of hidden fees for using your card abroad.

I personally think it's well worth it to get a British bank account as it will make your life easier.
Reply 9
Norway is in the EEA (but not the EU), but does that make a difference?
Reply 10
EWS

Wow, shame on me, seriously. Honestly, I don't know.
Reply 11
EWS

Best go to a bank and ask :smile:.

Here's a tip, take advantage of International Freshers Week and go to the bank as soon as possible. Even with the headstart, chances are that they'll book you in for an appointment later in the week, so get it done as soon as possible.
Reply 12
Hi, does anyone know what phone carrier has the best coverage in Cambridge? What phone service provider would you recommend?
Reply 13
EU, EEA and Switzerland are the same here. Free movement, home fees, right to tuition fee loan.

Which bank is best for students? I have a Santander-group account here in Spain, but don't know if that makes any difference.
Reply 14
I'm currently on 3, I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with the network in Cambridge. If it's **** I want to switch networks, so could you also recommend me one that has good signal/coverage. Thanks.
Reply 15
It's OK, although the signal tends to be somewhat weaker in my experience than O2. Further away from the city you might end up on the non-3G network, but you should still have something.
Reply 16
Not Vodafone. They're having loads of problems with the signal in Cambridge at the moment and have had such problems before. From what I can remember, T Mobile was fine.
i'm on three and have had perfect coverage, no problems whatsoever.

well one or two in certain places, but nobody gets signal there
i can confirm orange is average.
Reply 19
Crazy_emz
Not Vodafone. They're having loads of problems with the signal in Cambridge at the moment and have had such problems before. From what I can remember, T Mobile was fine.

Eh? Do elaborate please, I'm on Vodafone at the moment. :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending