The Student Room Group

Making friends in an underground culture

So my interests are pretty non mainstream - im into rockabilly, rock n roll, the 50s, doo wop, jiving, classic cars, etc.

Thing is none of my friends are into the same thing and i want to get out more to gigs and clubs to meet more people my age who are.

There are a couple of local gigs on tomoro (i havent decided which to go to yet) but im worried that i wont meet anyone there or wont be able to integrate myself into the crowd :frown:

What to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Bump after 10 mins, that's stopped me posting my constructive reply.
Lexi99
So my interests are pretty non mainstream - im into rockabilly, rock n roll, the 50s, doo wop, jiving, classic cars, etc.

Thing is none of my friends are into the same thing and i want to get out more to gigs and clubs to meet more people my age who are.

There are a couple of local gigs on tomoro (i havent decided which to go to yet) but im worried that i wont meet anyone there or wont be able to integrate myself into the crowd :frown:

What to do?

Do what I do - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1cLOIxsQ8
Reply 4
Well you should know that on here posts get wiped off the homepage after about 5 minutes anyway
Lexi99
Bump

Give it time, this forum does move quickly, but it is also busy enough to attract a fair amount who will potentially reply. :smile:

I think it really depends upon how high your confidence is. Sharing interests with others is, naturally, rather a good precursor for getting along and hopefully making friends with them, but this cannot happen unless you have the confidence to approach them and make yourself known. As I can't say for certain how easy you find it to approach strangers and get to know them, my advice to you would be to approach the gigs tomorrow with an open mind and see what happens. You might not enjoy the experience of being with a lot of strangers, in which case, nobody will force you to go again. It will, however, give you a very good opportunity to meet new people, so going should be worth the effort if you feel able to and could be the start of some new friendships.
You have to be willing to get out of your comfort zone and be sociable. Your interests aren't that 'out there' so you shouldn't find it that hard.

And wait before bumping :h:
You could do this:

Reply 8
underground culture of boo wop

hahahahaha brilliant

lets get down with kids

let me take you down, way down, to the underground, but there'll be none of that polava goin on that you were talkin about, but you might like it, now just swallow this little tablet and i'll let you see what i mean.
Reply 9
theronkinator
Bump after 10 mins, that's stopped me posting my constructive reply.

:yep:
Have you searched for forums related to your interests? Then you'd meet people going to the same gigs as you, and you can arrange to meet up. :smile:

Go to the gigs and strike up a conversation with the promoters or organisers? Then I'm sure they can introduce you to others.
Reply 11
Go on your own??? Will meet like minded peeps at the venues surely??
Reply 12
Give it a try, you don't have anything to lose.
Reply 13
Hmmm yea thanks everyone, its just hard to get the motivation to go, when its just you and you wont be letting a friend down. One of the bands is quite big so i reckon there'll be quite a few people there.

Think this will be a case of keep going and making myself seen. I know a few people just not that well so i could maybe strike up a conversation with them
Jive Bunny is a god......he just smashes all your favourite songs into 5 minutes of madness.
Reply 15
We're gonna build a whole new world for ourselves. Look, they clap eyes on us and we're dead, right? So we gotta make a new life where they'll never find us. You know where? Underground. You should see it down there - hundreds of miles of drains - sweet and clean now after the rain, dark, quiet, safe. We can build houses and everything, start again from scratch. And what's so bad about living underground, eh? It's not been so great living up here, if you want my opinion.
as a side note if people are going to listen to jive bunny get hawaii five o version

it's the best song ever made.....it made me overly happy when I first it....
Be grateful for the friends you already have and the fact that you are different to them. Are you going to Uni or moving away soon? If so you'll be able to meet loads of new people who are more like you.
Reply 18
Hugh-Jackman
as a side note if people are going to listen to jive bunny get hawaii five o version

it's the best song ever made.....it made me overly happy when I first it....

Like you were going to anyway :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Anonymous
Be grateful for the friends you already have and the fact that you are different to them. Are you going to Uni or moving away soon? If so you'll be able to meet loads of new people who are more like you.

Am neary in my third year of uni and honestly, finding peope my age who are into the same things is quite rare unless you know where to look

Latest

Trending

Trending