The Student Room Group

Am I scum?

It all started few nights ago when my mate and I stupidly decided to have a drunken bet on the Japan / England game. We were in no fit state to gamble and my mate ended up accidentally putting the money on Japan to win. To make matters worse, the idiot did it with his mum's credit card. :frown:

Now I managed to get out of it by leaving my mate in the lurch. He had a big bust up with his dad recently as well which ended up with my mate lamping his dad one and getting chucked out house. I know I should feel bad about it but to be honest I don't care, it was like a demon awoke in me.

It was when Japan went up 1 - nil. Suddenly something went off inside me and I felt better than I ever had in my life. What a rush. And ever since then I've been trying to regain the feeling. But it wouldn't come back. I had lost my smile.

My loan is long gone so I went and took out my overdraft. I am too scared to go into the likes of William Hill so I went down he local arcade instead. I went in with a considerable chuck of cash and before I knew what happened it had gone in flutter of flashing lights and screaming alarms. It was only when elderly caretaker came over at closing time, tapped me on the shoulder and said "Come on son, time to go" that I came back to my senses.

At this point I knew should have stopped...

But I needed to pay off the overdraft and like a miracle it was then my cousin told me about the Serbia / Poland derby. Kevin said Serbia were sure thing I knew I could get back all my loses and maybe even a little profit but the only thing stopping me was money. I needed it, anybody's. And I knew where to get it.

I had to get something from up in the roof space of my parent's house a fortnight ago and while I was up there I stumbled upon their Aladdin's cave! In the bottom of a box at the bottom of a pile were 3 envelopes of cash totalling £550. I let myself in and on my return to the attic I took £140 of. The rest of the money I left for the 12 or so visits I made over the course of the following 6 hours. I was fooling nobody and I knew I was going to bet the lot.

Serbia drew nil - nil...

I really don't know what to do now. My head is in a real dark, secluded place right now. I don't even care about my parent's money so much, they can afford it, but I know I need help. I need to find my smile again.

Scroll to see replies

What do you mean by that, bill-e?
Betting is the beginning to everyones downfall.

Unless you're a banker, of course.
Reply 3
Addicted to gambling.
Become a stock broker.. don't play petty games.
Reply 4
Honestly.....just get away from that world NOW! Because it will **** you up big time. You will never win....and if you do....you will not make profit in the long run.

The other week I won over $200 on Poker. I couldnt cash it out for 48 hours it said. So, I thought "ah, ill just try and build it up slowly and then cash out in 48 hours".......2 hours later........$200 GONE! I really could of done with that money too. Obviously for me its different because I didnt lose anything, I won it in a tournament that was free to enter. But this was enough to make me uninstall all poker software from my computer.....and forever!

Find something else, play a sport or learn the guitar or something.
Reply 5
Scum...Sub human scum
get some cheap alcohol and get wasted, then you'll have your smile back
Don't know if I would say scum, but stealing from your folks is pretty low. That money might have been for a holiday, or you and your siblings in the future.

At least you recognise that gambling is a mugs game. If you do have remorse and a shred of decency, work hard, earn enough money to clear your debt and make damn sure you replace all that money.

Your parents would be very disappointed in you if they knew.

Good luck.
can i come round yours sometime..since theres endless bits of money in your attic??
Sorry I couldn't read your post over the scum vibrations that overcame my laptop
in a word...

Yes.

Enjoy the guilt :biggrin:

But yeah, i dont know you, you shouldn't ask questions like that to random people anyway.
OK. I see how disgusted you all are at what I did. This confirms it. I'm scum. But I won't lay down, not this time. I am so sick of not being able to look my parents in the eye. I am going to put an end to this once and for all. Today I got £150 from my grandparents. I told them it was for rent and I'd pay them back but really I was going to use it to put towards paying off the overdraft.

I'm not going to do that.

I'm going to take that money, get another £200 from my parents and scrape together what I have left to get £500.

£500, 4 team accumulator, USA, South Africa, Slovakia and Romania. More than enough to pay back what I stole . This is it, once I win the money I'm going to walk right up to them, put the cash in their hands and tell them what I did. I know how disappointed they will be, how disappointed I am in myself. But I won't be scum any more.
Reply 12
Shady05
Scum...Sub human scum

Haha I only came into here to post that. :biggrin:
Smashthemirror
It all started few nights ago when my mate and I stupidly decided to have a drunken bet on the Japan / England game. We were in no fit state to gamble and my mate ended up accidentally putting the money on Japan to win. To make matters worse, the idiot did it with his mum's credit card. :frown:

Now I managed to get out of it by leaving my mate in the lurch. He had a big bust up with his dad recently as well which ended up with my mate lamping his dad one and getting chucked out house. I know I should feel bad about it but to be honest I don't care, it was like a demon awoke in me.

It was when Japan went up 1 - nil. Suddenly something went off inside me and I felt better than I ever had in my life. What a rush. And ever since then I've been trying to regain the feeling. But it wouldn't come back. I had lost my smile.

My loan is long gone so I went and took out my overdraft. I am too scared to go into the likes of William Hill so I went down he local arcade instead. I went in with a considerable chuck of cash and before I knew what happened it had gone in flutter of flashing lights and screaming alarms. It was only when elderly caretaker came over at closing time, tapped me on the shoulder and said "Come on son, time to go" that I came back to my senses.

At this point I knew should have stopped...

But I needed to pay off the overdraft and like a miracle it was then my cousin told me about the Serbia / Poland derby. Kevin said Serbia were sure thing I knew I could get back all my loses and maybe even a little profit but the only thing stopping me was money. I needed it, anybody's. And I knew where to get it.

I had to get something from up in the roof space of my parent's house a fortnight ago and while I was up there I stumbled upon their Aladdin's cave! In the bottom of a box at the bottom of a pile were 3 envelopes of cash totalling £550. I let myself in and on my return to the attic I took £140 of. The rest of the money I left for the 12 or so visits I made over the course of the following 6 hours. I was fooling nobody and I knew I was going to bet the lot.

Serbia drew nil - nil...

I really don't know what to do now. My head is in a real dark, secluded place right now. I don't even care about my parent's money so much, they can afford it, but I know I need help. I need to find my smile again.

STOP gambling, for a start.

I'm speaking from experience here: I've probably lost over £2000 this year and only won back about £800 in total. It's a fool's game. The bookies always win in the long run.

I suggest that the first thing you do is to resolve to never gamble again, followed by self-excluding yourself from any gambling websites you're a member of.

Next you should get a job - once you start earning money, the allure of gambling will subside, as you will have an income satisfying your desire for money. Start paying your overdraft off (unless it's interest-free, in which case you can leave it for now), and then start paying your parents back. If I were you, I'd wait till I had a job before telling my parents, since they will respect the fact that you've taken some initiative in going out and finding a reliable means of repaying them.
Smashthemirror
OK. I see how disgusted you all are at what I did. This confirms it. I'm scum. But I won't lay down, not this time. I am so sick of not being able to look my parents in the eye. I am going to put an end to this once and for all. Today I got £150 from my grandparents. I told them it was for rent and I'd pay them back but really I was going to use it to put towards paying off the overdraft.

I'm going to take that money, get another £200 from my parents and scrape together what I have left to get £500.

£500, 4 team accumulator, USA, South Africa, Slovakia and Romania. More than enough to pay back what I stole . This is it, once I win the money I'm going to walk right up to them, put the cash in their hands and tell them what I did. I know how disappointed they will be, how disappointed I am in myself. But I won't be scum any more.

Seriously DO NOTdo this! Please! I've been there many times before.

And that's a terrible accumulator btw...Slovakia is the only vaguely safe bet there...
Anonymous
Seriously DO NOTdo this! Please! I've been there many times before.

And that's a terrible accumulator btw...Slovakia is the only vaguely safe bet there...

Agreed, DO NOT DO THIS!

If you lose, and those are far from a safe bet, you'll be in a worse position than you are now. Gambling got you into this mess, it is not the way out of it.

Please reconsider.
Smashthemirror

I just checked the odds on those....you're looking to win over £10000, you aren't that much down surely? :s-smilie: .....can't see how that's possible unless you had massive savings before you started.....

Betting £500 at those odds is madness...betting on South Africa to beat Denmark is madness.....I strongly advise that if you are going to ignore everything anyone's gonna tell you, then you drop USA and SA from the accumulator...but my stronger advice is that you stop NOW.
Anonymous
I just checked the odds on those....you're looking to win over £10000, you aren't that much down surely? :s-smilie: .....can't see how that's possible unless you had massive savings before you started.....

Betting £500 at those odds is madness...betting on South Africa to beat Denmark is madness.....I strongly advise that if you are going to ignore everything anyone's gonna tell you, then you drop USA and SA from the accumulator...but my stronger advice is that you stop NOW.

It's a troll...

This is not true gambling behaviour. Gamblers initially gamble to win...once they lose, they gamble to recover their losses. No gambler would stake £500 at 20-1 odds, if they want to recover say £1000. Far more likely that they will go for small safe bets with a lot of money, or large, risky bets with less money. They don't even seek to make a large profit, until they win back their original amount.....
Shadowman786
I don't think you're genuine. I was going to give you advice, but the tone of your posts suggests you're having fun with what are deep psychological issues for many gamblers.

:troll:

Seriously mate how the **** would you know what's going on inside my head yeah?! I'm not here to prove myself to the likes of you. I know what I did was wrong and I'm just trying to make amends

I'll tell you something mate if you think you know so ******* much about me. On the way back from taking the money from my grandparents I was going over the bridge and thought to myself how much easier it would be to throw myself under a bus. How it would be better for everybody that way. But I'm not going to do that. I will get the money back tomorrow and I can sort all this out OK?! So keep your advice, I don't need it from the likes of you.
Shadowman786
It's a troll...

This is not true gambling behaviour. Gamblers initially gamble to win...once they lose, they gamble to recover their losses. No gambler would stake £500 at 20-1 odds, if they want to recover say £1000. Far more likely that they will go for small safe bets with a lot of money, or large, risky bets with less money. They don't even seek to make a large profit, until they win back their original amount.....

Hmm true, but he could just be being an idiot, and not recognising that 20-1 in this instance is just as unlikely as a single line bet at 20-1, because the highest single odds in the accumulator are only 5-2

Latest

Trending

Trending