The Student Room Group

Lunch in Cambridge

Hi :h:

Some family friends are coming over from the States for a holiday to London, but have asked to meet up for a day in Cambridge. I've been a few times before so they've asked me to sort out travel and the likes, but they've asked specifically for a relatively informal pub-style lunch. I think they're looking for something 'English' :rolleyes:
Just wondering if anybody could give me a few suggestions? It needs to be in the main centre ideally. Maybe somewhere by the river? Or somewhere pleasant to eat at? Doesn't have to be dirt-cheap, but equally not somewhere very expensive.

Sorry this is in the University forum, but I had no idea where else I could get a response!

Ta!
Reply 1
Browns, Tatties, Copper Kettle immediately spring to mind.

You can always try McD's if nothing else.
Reply 2
The cornish pasty shop by the market!
Reply 3
The cornish pasty shop by the market!
Reply 4
Pub crawl until you find somewhere nice. :smile:
Reply 5
You're gonna need a time machine to give them the experience they're expecting.
Reply 6
becbec :)

They've asked specifically for a relatively informal pub-style lunch. I think they're looking for something 'English' :rolleyes:
Just wondering if anybody could give me a few suggestions? It needs to be in the main centre ideally. Maybe somewhere by the river? Or somewhere pleasant to eat at? Doesn't have to be dirt-cheap, but equally not somewhere very expensive.

If you want an actual pub, I like The Anchor on Silver Street. That's right by the river and even has a punt renting place opposite. I think it's run by a company but it's still nice there.
Reply 7
The Granta had a good pub lunch when I was there under similar circumstances a couple of years ago. Its a bit out of town, but you can sit outside by the river if its a nice day.
Granta
The Anchor
The Eagle
Browns
The Punter
It's not a pub, but Tatties is amazing. Just by Market square if I remember correctly.

It does the best jacket potatoes I've ever tasted, with a big choice of accompaniments. It does do other stuff too, but I can't remember what because the memory of the potatoes just eclipse it all. :smile:

It's not expensive and very convenient for the centre.
Mrs Cullen
It's not a pub, but Tatties is amazing. Just by Market square if I remember correctly.

It does the best jacket potatoes I've ever tasted, with a big choice of accompaniments. It does do other stuff too, but I can't remember what because the memory of the potatoes just eclipse it all. :smile:

It's not expensive and very convenient for the centre.

I'd suggest tatties but the one that's on Sussex Street next to Sidney Sussex I find much better!
Food at granta/anchor is much better than eagle. If your planning on punting anchors probably the best shout
Reply 12
Thanks for all your suggestions!
becbec :)
Hi :h:

Some family friends are coming over from the States for a holiday to London, but have asked to meet up for a day in Cambridge. I've been a few times before so they've asked me to sort out travel and the likes, but they've asked specifically for a relatively informal pub-style lunch. I think they're looking for something 'English' :rolleyes:

Sorry this is in the University forum, but I had no idea where else I could get a response!

Ta!

The Free Press
The Anchor
Reply 14

Chop house ain't bad, if a little pricey.

Latest

Trending

Trending