The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I learned in an old Astra a bit and then in a Peugeot 207, which was quite good, I didn't only like it that the brakes were usually too sensitive.
Reply 41
Took lessons in my insructors clio, and practiced in my peugeot 306. At the time i preferred the clio to drive, because it was a diesel, and easier to drive...but now im used to my 306 its great to drive, the clutch just took some getting used to
Reply 42
SuperStarr1
I'm learning in the Fiat 500 .. its not bad. Love it for maneuvers! :smile:

agreed
Reply 43
Walter Ego
There's room in this world for everyone, even idiots :yes:

Yes, and people that are ignorant to the point that they class people with differing opinions as idiots. :yes:

In all seriousness, I am still getting used to the mini, I could grow to love it :P. I also think that it might be because i am too worried that I might scratch it or something, lol. :woo:
I learnt in a Hyundai Getz, it seemed alright, but I really knew no better.
Reply 45
balface
Im learning in a Peugeot 308cc convertible, which is awesome if a little unconventional. I felt so swish zooming around in it with the roof down yesterday when the weather was beautiful.
I haven't had many lessons, but I really like it. It's super smooth and gliides along. The only niggle is that the brakes are super sensitive.

Once I have a few more lessons, I will be insured on my mum's toyota celica, which I am not looking forward to. It's quite a long, low car and I'm a tiny person! I have to have cushions when I drive!

ahh a Celica :sexface:
Reply 46
Audi A3.

It's pretty cool car, but no idea how it relates to other cars. Easier to drive than my parents' old mercedes. But that may be because I only drove that right at the start to learn the basics.
Reply 47
While I was learning to drive it was a Ford Focus, so much more power than my Corsa...
i learnt in a nice new mini cooper

now currently using my dads old van - massive change!
Learning in a diesel Corsa, my instructor got a new one about half way through me learning to drive, exactly the same car though. Only difference is the old one needed more effort to get it in second gear, new is much smoother.
The only thing i dont like about it is the noise when at higher speeds, i occasionally go on a bypass on driving lessons, would not like a long motorway journey in it.

Also practice in my dads car, a Citroen C5 diesel estate, 2002. Much bigger car. The only thing i don't like about it is the bite is very close to the top of the clutch, feels weird to me. I have no problems with the heavier steering of the bigger car. Its brakes are much less sharp than my instructors Corsa, first time i drove it was a bit scary, took a corner faster than usual due to less good brakes, went quite wide, combined with heavier car and steering it was worrying.
Learning in a diesel - Toyota yaris. I quite like it :smile:
Reply 51
Well i started my lessons in a 2006 Ford Fiesta...then he changed the car to a 2009 model,I prefered the 2006 more....just seemed better.

Now ive changed instructor though,Im going to be learning in a Mini cooper,The new one :smile:
Reply 52
I've learnt in two cars so far. Before changing their contract to Fiat, BSM had Vauxhall Corsas and Astras. My Mum had a '09 1.4 TD Corsa which was FANTASTIC. Good level of torque at the bottom end of the rev range meant that most manouvres could be done on the bite point. The driving position was well set-up and everything was in a good place which meant you didn't really have to stretch. The acceleration on the TD Corsa was pretty swift and travelling at 70 was a doddle.

However, BSM's contract with Vauxhall ran out last year and they've now replaced instructor cars with Fiat 500s. Now I like 500s, I think they're nice little machines but I wasn't sure about them being used as learner vehicles. Turns out I was wrong, I love it even more. The one my Mum currently has is a 1.3 petrol. Given that the 500 was never meant for anything more than urban/town driving, it's no suprise that it lacks the top end power to get it up to A-road speed. Having said that, once it does, it'll pootle on fairly happily. The driving position is slightly better (the gear stick is higher up which makes changing gear easier IMO) but you do need to use the throttle far more when doing most manouvres. First gear ratio is crap which means you have to change to second pretty swiftly.

On the whole, I preferred the Corsa but I'd be more than happy to continue using the Fiat.

That could Top Gear material I reckon.
Reply 53
I learnt in a Renault Modus 1.5 dCi, and it was a hateful little thing.

Since then have driven for a decent length of time a Ford Fiesta Mk6, Fiat Punto, Toyota Auris, Ford Galaxy and of course my MGB.

Punto - Nippy even with a tiny little 1.2 engine, light steering, light clutch and forgiving brakes.
Fiesta - A more direct drive than the Punto, a bit more powerful too with it's 1.4 engine. Snappy gearshift.
Auris - Pretty comfortable over longer distances, but fairly dull to drive. Didn't like the throttle response (sloooow pickup) but had a bit of pace if you floored it. Six gear too, which was nice.
Galaxy - Was quite nice being high up, and not a bad amount of power from the 2.3 engine, but it's still an MPV however you slice it.
MGB - Sounds ace, rifle-bolt gearshift, direct steering, instant throttle response. Huge fun if not especially fast.
Modus - Over-servoed brakes were way too responsive, engine was sluggish, rubbery gearshift, felt inherently unstable when cornering at speed.

HTH :smile:
My instructor has a Volvo C30 and he used to have a Ford Focus. I prefer the C30 to the Focus as it's easier to drive.

My parents have a Kia Rio which I sometimes practise in, and it's even easier to drive than the C30 as the gas and brake pedals are more sensitive and the biting point is easier to feel. However the car is much lower-end than my instructor's cars, so the hand controls do feel a bit cheap! No air conditioning or electric windows in the Kia either.
Walter Ego
Started in a Corsa. HATED IT !!! As did my instructor, so he changed it for a Skoda Fabia vRS. OMG :eek: The mid-range acceleration was brutal compared to the pathetic Corsa, and everything else, steering, brakes, handling etc were all massively better. I loved it so much I got one, and mine now has much more power too :biggrin: Wouldn't have minded learning in a Mini as they are great cars, and Suzuki Swifts are very goo too.

Lucky thing!!

I'm currently learning in a Hyundai i10. Took some getting used to the throttle though, I was either giving it too much or not enough. I'm practising in a 2001 Suzuki Swift, which is a lot easier to drive, so I'm gonna take my test in that.
I've passed now, but I was learning in a 1.9l diesel VW Golf. I really liked the car when I was learning in it, although it was a bit big to do manoeuvres in. I now drive a 1.0l petrol Peugeot 107, and really struggled after I passed to get used to the car. I hadn't been taught to use gas when pulling away or when doing manoeuvres or anything, which I can't get away with in my little car, so in hindsight, it wasn't a great car to learn in! But I didn't drive another car until after I passed, so I had no real idea about how difficult the change would be until after!
'08 suzuki swift, I like it , but have nothing else to compare it to. Wish the colour was different.
Ford fiesta Zetec. Love it. :smile: That's my instructors not mine. I don't have a car. :sad:
Reply 59
Renault Clio

Latest

Trending

Trending