The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Mentally Ill
To those of you at Cambridge,
Are there any good stables up there ?

Errr, I don't know personally about good stables because I'm not a horsey person, but one of my friends very much is and I could perhaps ask her if she knows any when she comes back next tuesday?
She ended up going to the polo society because it allowed her to ride horses cheaper than the riding society apparently. As far as I can tell from meeting them the polo consists of a) posh people who know nothing of how to look after horses b) horse nuts who do all the work but aren't necessarily posh.
That or the riding club may be of interest.
The vet school lets people ride their horses sometimes, I think you have to get lessons unless you can pass their test (which allows you to ride the thoroughbreds or something).

The only person I've met who brought their own horse to cam also brought their car so they could get out to the stables, that's possibly something you'd need to consider if you were bringing your own. You'd need a permit from the motor vehicle proctor and the college if you were to keep it on university land.

I feel I know far too much considering I'm not interested in horses, but I fear that I don't necessarily know that much to be of serious help to you.

Mentally Ill
And would I be in a minority if I didn't row?

No.
You can try it, but the majority don't row.

Mentally Ill
And what sports do you Cambridge people get up to? (apart from Rowing and Rugby)

err well the cusu (cambridge uni student union) list indicates we do just about everything!
http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/socindex.cgi?category=Sport

Football, cricket and hockey are apparently quite big, but I only play Badminton.

On a college level there is normally, at least, played: Football, rugby, badminton, tennis, cricket, rowing, la crosse, squash and of course table football.

Alaric.
Reply 2
Alaric you are so helpful. Please ask your friend if you can.

Polo society sounds good. I am far from posh but I'll have a go (Or is that a prerequisite?) lol.
Reply 3
Mentally Ill
Polo society sounds good. I am far from posh but I'll have a go (Or is that a prerequisite?) lol.

give being posh a go? or polo?...or maybe both? (just j/k :tongue:)
Reply 4
grey faerie
give being posh a go? or polo?...or maybe both? (just j/k :tongue:)

Oh, I thought the two were inseperable.........I thought the polo society was code name for the posh society, or was it the toff society?
Reply 5
Yes when I went to the vet school they said that some people had taken there horses along. I would email the vet school and ask, or if not Dr Nicola Holdstock at Clare did a lot with horses when I went and so you could possibly ask her.
Reply 6
Mentally Ill
Alaric you are so helpful. Please ask your friend if you can.

Will do, though she isn't back until next tues so if I don't get back to you drop me a PM reminding me :tongue:

Mentally Ill

Well put it this way, I've seen the fallout of their annual black tie dinner and there were a hell of a lot of what I would regard as posh people getting very much more drunk in the river bar (poshest bar in cam probably). A lot of them no longer actually go though, because they've left uni but they remain members for the dinner or something. The actual people you'd be riding with all seem generally nice pleasant people, as I say some posh, some not.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a go (unless you fall off the manic horses), my friend seems to really love it, though I'm not convinced she can actually hit the ball!

Both the riding and the polo societies will have stalls at the immensely claustrophobic freshers fair I expect, so you can always decide that then!

Alaric.

Alaric.

Latest

Trending

Trending