The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Melton Hall Kitchen

Hey everybody,

i'm going to be staying at melton hall this year. just wanted to know a few things about the kitchen. i'm a vegetarian and i'm concerned about sharing the kitchen with non-vegetarians. do everybody (non vegetarians and vegetatians) share the same kitchen or are there different kitchens for each??

I understand i will be sharing the kitchen with 12 others. Hence the worry.

Would really appreciate if anyone can help.
Reply 1
I've not been into Melton Hall, but if it's anything like other self-catered postgrad accommodation I've seen in Nottingham, if you're sharing a kitchen with 12 other people, it's likely there'll be at least a couple of cookers, if not 3, and several fridges/freezers to share between you. It's extremely unlikely that you'll be given any special treatment as a veggie by the accommodation office - it'll be up to you to negotiate with whoever you end up sharing with that you'd prefer to keep a certain area meat-free, or not to use your utensils for meat etc. Bear in mind that by the time you're a postgrad, in most cases, people are prepared to be reasonably adult about these things.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks a lot alex-hs for replying.

Appreciate it.

I would love it if any Melton hall residents could help me out......
Reply 3
I very much doubt you'll be using a separate kitchen - it seems pointless to split people up by whether they're vegetarian or not.

What problems do you think you'll encounter? You'll be cooking for yourself, using your own food, your own utensils and eating off your own plates.
Reply 4
DarkWhite
I very much doubt you'll be using a separate kitchen - it seems pointless to split people up by whether they're vegetarian or not.

What problems do you think you'll encounter? You'll be cooking for yourself, using your own food, your own utensils and eating off your own plates.

Ah well the fact that there will be 12 people with whom i would be sharing one kitchen got me worried. Also whether the kitchen is large enough to accommodate everyone's food.....

Being a veggie I will surely be outnumbered by non vegetarians (the accommodation office told me that they haven't received any applicant who is vegetarian)..... I don't know whether I will be able to keep my food separately..... Whether everyone uses their own utensils or they meddle around with others.

Basically do veggies face difficulties in cooking, storing their food at melton hall?
Reply 5
ps_144
Ah well the fact that there will be 12 people with whom i would be sharing one kitchen got me worried. Also whether the kitchen is large enough to accommodate everyone's food.....

Being a veggie I will surely be outnumbered by non vegetarians (the accommodation office told me that they haven't received any applicant who is vegetarian)..... I don't know whether I will be able to keep my food separately..... Whether everyone uses their own utensils or they meddle around with others.

Basically do veggies face difficulties in cooking, storing their food at melton hall?

I haven't heard of any vegetarian having such a problem, Nottingham or elsewhere. Even more so with postgrads, people are generally quite mature about that sort of thing. Don't worry :smile:
Reply 6
DarkWhite
I haven't heard of any vegetarian having such a problem, Nottingham or elsewhere. Even more so with postgrads, people are generally quite mature about that sort of thing. Don't worry :smile:

Thanks a lot buddy.:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ps_144
Hey everybody,

i'm going to be staying at melton hall this year. just wanted to know a few things about the kitchen. i'm a vegetarian and i'm concerned about sharing the kitchen with non-vegetarians. do everybody (non vegetarians and vegetatians) share the same kitchen or are there different kitchens for each??

I understand i will be sharing the kitchen with 12 others. Hence the worry.

Would really appreciate if anyone can help.

hey there!
m a veggie too!!
would be staying at melton this year.. :smile:
m just writing in to ask u if u had any problems :P:P
so that i be prepared for them too :smile:

regards!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending