The Student Room Group

Weight and Self Control

In the "fat bashing" thread I noticed a perpetual bleat of "like, fat people have no respect for themselves or their loved ones, and they are just big because they have no will power" :rolleyes:

Well now.How bloody f*cking sanctimonious- do the pompous twits who maintain this honestly expect me and other reasonable people to believe that they are faultless?

Yeah some people with a weight problem might indulge in comfort eating. And yeah, if they had a steely will they would be able to stop. But for f*ck sake, were only human.

Some peoples weakness might be food, somebody else might go a bit too hard on the booze or mess up their exams repeatedly cos theyre stoned, or engage in random-stranger sex a bit too much and wish they could stop. We all do things that feel pleasurable especially when were stressed or feel like is treating us like crap.

So why take the moral high ground when it comes to over eating? We ALL make mistakes, and yeah it can seem like it takes a long time to break a destructive cycle, but coming from the angle "ooh yes, with a bit of self discipline these fat people could be thin just like me!" doesnt help anyone

Wake up. Being thin doesnt mean your life is perfect. Im a normal weight and life still isnt like a Hollywood movie!

:endofrant:

Scroll to see replies

here here!! i agree. weight isnt all to do with self control..if at all really, its probably mostly genetic and some have to take medication which puts on weight.
being thin doesnt make ur life perfect, ur rite there, some of my friends who are stick thin are the most self conscious and depressed people i know about how they look but then ive got friends who are on the larger side and are the most confident, beautiful people ive ever met and so happy with who they are so y should they change because somebody else says they r not respecting their family because they are overweight....what aload of *****.
Strong way of putting it, but I don't think people really mean to offend. It's probably just that not having ever experienced an eating problem themselves, they have no idea what it's like, I'm not sayin I do either, just that a lot of people can come across as insensitive simply because they don't understand.

I'm sure any criticism is meant in a constructive manner... It's not easy being fat or thin, life's just not far for some people whatever size they are! However, I totally agree with what you have to say, and that quality of life does not depend on size.

*finishes being pacifier* :biggrin:
Reply 3
I agree completely. If you're genetically heavy (i.e. if one or both parents are heavy), then you have to actively work HARD to lose that weight - and unless you've had to do it yourself you just won't know what that means. Similarly, if you're genetically skinny you can be just as self-conscious and have to work to be a normal weight.
Everybody likes to eat because it's pleasurable, so denying yourself that is very very difficult.
Just because you're lucky enough to have been born with a recommended BMI doesn't mean you have any right to look down.
Ah I take back everything I said about constructive criticism and all that jazz :eek: some people are just being vindictive about their weight...and to be honest, how to we know that they're not 10 stone overweight when they're sitting in front of a computer at the other side of the country :p:
EDIT: Just realised this sounds random, I hadn't read the last page or two of the fatty thread, I now have :smile:
Reply 5
parties-r-us!
here here!! i agree. weight isnt all to do with self control..if at all really, its probably mostly genetic and some have to take medication which puts on weight.
being thin doesnt make ur life perfect, ur rite there, some of my friends who are stick thin are the most self conscious and depressed people i know about how they look but then ive got friends who are on the larger side and are the most confident, beautiful people ive ever met and so happy with who they are so y should they change because somebody else says they r not respecting their family because they are overweight....what aload of *****.

no offense but you can blame being overweight on your health- this is only in a minority oof cases...
people need to take responsibility for themselves and society in general...instead on blaming it on family history or whatever they should be exercising and eating a healthy diet!
Reply 6
Nicely said saoirse, and I'm really glad other people see how unnecessary the fat bashing is.
Cleas001 I wish you'd just post elsewhere - we all know your opinion and yes it is offensive whether you say 'no offense' or not.
It's none of your business how other people eat and it doesnt affect you - so back off.
i'm not fat but just eatin ben and jerrys from the tub so currently goin up a dress size!
Reply 8
Nothing wrong with pigging out know and agian, but when people are like "ohhh nooo my cat ranm away" *out comes the ice cream and pringles* then that is a problem, and yes maybe that is unfair on themselves and their significant others, but at the end of the day its their choice, as long as they dont moan about it all the time I have no problem.

on another note

OMG I would die if my cat ran away **cuddles little kitty very tightly**
Perfectly said Saoirse! I quite agree!

As to lilsk8achic666, what a lot of people said in that thread was nothing less than insulting, and if they didnt realise that, then there are issues with them. I think that if people having nothing constructive to say or ask, then they should just be quiet. I think that the whole thread idea was a little on the touchy side anyway as it was quite obviously going to turn out the offensive way it did
I'm fairly overweight, but I don't blame anyone else/thing for it, I know exactly how and where I go wrong, and I intent to buy a gym pass when I go to uni on Saturday and work my ass off to correct it.

However, being 6' 6" helps, my mate just says I look "big" and not overweight, so I guess thats a bonus!
Reply 11
I also cant believe the nazi attitude of restricting medical treatment!! I mean WTF?!!!
saoirse
I also cant believe the nazi attitude of restricting medical treatment!! I mean WTF?!!!

who said restricting medical treatment?
Reply 13
cleas001
no offense but you can blame being overweight on your health- this is only in a minority oof cases...
people need to take responsibility for themselves and society in general...instead on blaming it on family history or whatever they should be exercising and eating a healthy diet!

That is totally true but remember even when eating healthily and exercising some people find it very hard to shift weight... and on the other end of the scale you have people like a friend of mine who eats almost constantly and remains skinny.
I suppose metabolism counts for a lot.
If you have an eating disorder you have no control (yourself) of what you eat/do not eat etc
Reply 15
I completely and utterly disagree with you. A bit of self discipline will help most of these people as I have seen on TV programmes about helping fat people, one of them lost 2 stone in 2 months.
Obviously a blanket statement like "all fat people bring it on themselves" is missleading because a small minority of these fat people have physical conditions like hyperglycemia but they should not be interpreted as fact as they clearly intend to mean most fat people.

Also your statement about moral high ground, I bet most people in this thread haven't done any of those self-harming activities as I know I haven't and none of my friends have.

I am just as hard on fat people (that do not have medical conditions affecting their weight) as I am on smokers, and I think most people should be too or they are hypocrites.

Also there was no need to resort to name calling, "pompous twits" is very insulting and some of those people might be hurt by you calling them that.
Especially considering you know there is a good chance they are going to read this thread.
Lauren Hart
As to lilsk8achic666, what a lot of people said in that thread was nothing less than insulting, and if they didnt realise that, then there are issues with them.

I realise that, after having read the last page or two of the thread that I hadn't read when I posted my FIRST message in this thread, I did however post a SECOND time apologizing for my first message and taking back what I said. :cool: ]

I ttoally agree that there is absolutely NO NEED to be vindictive about other people's weight!
Reply 17
lilsk8rchik69r1337sp34k4t3hw1n

I realise that, after having read the last page or two of the thread that I hadn't read when I posted my FIRST message in this thread, I did however post a SECOND time apologizing for my first message and taking back what I said.

I ttoally agree that there is absolutely NO NEED to be vindictive about other people's weight!

Whose being vindictive?

The comments in the other thread were clearly just constructive criticism. I would like to see your argument to prove otherwise. Although I haven't read all the posts in that thread so you could prove me wrong yet!

Also feel free to flame me because I think fat people are ugly, and no I am not being vindictive it is just my point of view.
you're entitled to your opinion, some people's opinions were put rather more forcefully that necessary, that is my opinion, I don't need to justify it to you, and there is no need for "lilsk8rchik69r1337sp34k4t3hw1n" that is there? Grow up man *leaves*
Reply 19
lilsk8achic666
you're entitled to your opinion, some people's opinions were put rather more forcefully that necessary, that is my opinion, I don't need to justify it to you, and there is no need for "lilsk8rchik69r1337sp34k4t3hw1n" that is there? Grow up man *leaves*

Sorry no offense I just really like 1337 sp34k and thought it would be fun to add some humour to the thread. Oh well humour is lost on the internet..

I hope you don't agree with the thread starters assessment that the people who hold the differing opinion are "pompous twits".

Latest

Trending

Trending