The Student Room Group

Why are charity shop managers always such uptight, menopausal b****es?!

I found this in both cases when I went to apply to volunteer today at two separate shops. I was actually STUNNED at the manageress' rudeness, bitterness and coldness. When I approached her she gave me the most filthy look I think I've ever received.

She also acted very obnoxiously: she asked me when I could work, I said Mondays or Tuesdays were best for me, then she said "This Thursday then." She interrupted me, and snatched the form from me.

I regret giving her my number, but she can phone all she wants, I am not working there with a complete a***hole as a boss.

Anyway, so - shocked out of my mind - I went into a second one ( which I'd never planned to do ) and got the same crap there!!! She even had the cheek to say in a really patronising way "You do know you're not going to paid, right?" WTF

Don't these people REALISE that I was willing to give up MY time FOR FREE to work for them? Well they can go f*** themselves, that's what I say.

Have you ever found this? Any idea WHY these people are so uptight and rude?

I do already work in one and the manager is OK but that's only because I got a reference from someone I know who works there. I bet if I just turned up she'd be just as b*tchy. The only reason I wanted to apply to others is because I wanted to work closer to home, but stuff that.

:frown:

Scroll to see replies

My brother and a few friends did charity shop work for D of E, they said exactly the same thing!
Whenever I give in a bag of clothes or whatever they look at me as if I've just handed them a bag of dead rats :lolwut:

although my friend works in a charity chop and got a black bag full of nappies before, unused, but nappies nonetheless
Reply 3
Aww I have never had a problem. The manager at the last charity shop I volunteered at was amazing!
Reply 4
I find the best way to deal with bitches is to go and bitch about them on the internet.
Reply 5
Most of them are scamming bastards anyway.
Reply 6
Phalanges
I find the best way to deal with bitches is to go and bitch about them on the internet.

Oh very clever ¬¬
I went too ask to do some voluntary work and the woman wouldn't even look at me while I spoke to her she just moved around the shop picking up clothes. I tried another one and they just looked up and down at me and said no she might nick some of the shoes. LOL!!!!!!!!!
Reply 8
chronic_fatigue
I went too ask to do some voluntary work and the woman wouldn't even look at me while I spoke to her she just moved around the shop picking up clothes. I tried another one and they just looked up and down at me and said no she might nick some of the shoes. LOL!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious?! Ridiculous!!!
Reply 9
hah my mate is working at a charity shop he called me today "my boss is a total bitch!!"
Ha, I had a very similar experience when I volunteered at one of my local charity shops. The woman in charge there was cold, rude, frugal, patronising and...matriarchal? She gave me that kind of vibe anyway.

I wasn't able to find a paid job, so I volunteered there more in the hope that I could find something to do, rather than any altruistic inclination towards the type of work. So what do I get? She tells me she needs someone to stand near the door and observe the customers to make sure no one steals anything. And I stood there. For four hours. At the end of the shift I'd told her I'd had enough and what she wanted me to do was just too boring. The relief when I finally walked out of that shop was just...ambrosial. >_<

I know I'm an ass, but the lady constantly made me feel like I was doing bad, even though she literally just told me to stand in the corner. <_<
The ones next to my house are lovely and I know before I move out I'll be happy to donate anything and everything.

Their bins actually are next door to my flat and the tramps/bin divers always leave with bags of unwanted stuff. One guy actually illegally sells stuff outside the bankrupt mexican place so he can buy cans of K. :p:

Sad that they have discouraged you from volunteering though, doesn't serve as a great incentive. Guess they are just taking young people for granted as so many are unemployed :sad:
Best Superlative
Ha, I had a very similar experience when I volunteered at one of my local charity shops. The woman in charge there was cold, rude, frugal, patronising and...matriarchal? She gave me that kind of vibe anyway.

I wasn't able to find a paid job, so I volunteered there more in the hope that I could find something to do, rather than any altruistic inclination towards the type of work. So what do I get? She tells me she needs someone to stand near the door and observe the customers to make sure no one steals anything. And I stood there. For four hours. At the end of the shift I'd told her I'd had enough and what she wanted me to do was just too boring. The relief when I finally walked out of that shop was just...ambrosial. >_<

I know I'm an ass, but the lady constantly made me feel like I was doing bad, even though she literally just told me to stand in the corner. <_<

You have interesting taste in words.

I particularly liked 'ambrosial'....mmmmm Ambrosia. :sogood:
Hellz_Bellz!
Are you serious?! Ridiculous!!!

Yeah, my little sis was there too. She tried to whisper it to a co-worker but most people heard.

Best Superlative
She tells me she needs someone to stand near the door and observe the customers to make sure no one steals anything. And I stood there. For four hours. At the end of the shift I'd told her I'd had enough and what she wanted me to do was just too boring. The relief when I finally walked out of that shop was just...ambrosial. >_<

Hahaha, she just asked you to stand at the door?!? It's a charity shop for God's sake not Versace, who steals from charity shops?
Reply 14
I<3LAMP
You have interesting taste in words.

I particularly liked 'ambrosial'....mmmmm Ambrosia. :sogood:

:sogood: mmm, I'm off ta shops!

Ambrosia here I come
Reply 15
Best Superlative

Don't blame you for walking out. I don't understand how people like that are even allowed to run a shop whose purpose is to raise money to help people. Surely they want to ATTRACT customers, by being friendly and welcoming? Or do they think more customers are going to come if they stand by the door growling at everyone. It's just disgusting.
Reply 16
chronic_fatigue
It's a charity shop for God's sake not Versace, who steals from charity shops?

Actually, a lot of people to try and steal - at least at the charity shop I work at now. Dunno whether it has anything to do with the location ( South London..) but the till's been broken into twice in the last 6 months and one of the members of staff was threatened.

:/
Reply 17
The people who I volunteered with at my local Oxfam shop were really nice. The manageress was the mother of one of the kids in my maths class. She was lovely, even if I didn't see her often, and helped me with my v50 logbook and references for jobs. You must have been unlucky on both counts, I'm sorry.
Reply 18
chronic_fatigue
Hahaha, she just asked you to stand at the door?!? It's a charity shop for God's sake not Versace, who steals from charity shops?

I've volunteered in them before and they caught a serial charity-shop thief that day. Went over his house and found loads of missing items.
Hellz_Bellz!
Actually, a lot of people to try and steal - at least at the charity shop I work at now. Dunno whether it has anything to do with the location ( South London..) but the till's been broken into twice in the last 6 months and one of the members of staff was threatened.

:/

Yep South London, you in Peckham?
:smile:

For some reason that area is always being mentioned...my friend called the police last week as he heard gun shots from his window. Some bloke shot the windows of a nearby parked car.
:afraid:

Latest

Trending

Trending