The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, I don't think it's foolish, though I know a lot of people would say ''don't do a masters unless you know what you want to do with it". But the way I see it is: even if you 'know' what you want to do with it nothing is guaranteed. If you can afford it then I don't see why not, it might open new doors to you. Just remember to get work experience along the way.
Reply 2
What is the overall plan? If there is one?

Have you considered alternatives like doing some travelling and voluntary work for a year?
Studying for the sake of it is as good a reason as any (perhaps the best reason of all). I can't imagine it'll do your CV any harm either.
Don't believe it'd be a waste. Earth Sciences appears to be a reasonably technical and quantitative degree anyhow. The skills, though not necessarily the knowledge, you gained should be easily transferable and desirable to a wide variety of companies especially once proven at the postgrad level (granted the recruitment looks at CVs first rather than auto-filter). It could help if you had a similar science background at BSc level. It'd be useful to research on the industries the alumni go into. It may open doors and alternatives that weren't open to you had you not taken it, or at the very least make you more competitive. There are of course no guarantees, but if you can afford the risk it could be a positive experience for you regardless of serious career-track commitment.
Reply 5
somethingbeautiful
No, I don't think it's foolish, though I know a lot of people would say ''don't do a masters unless you know what you want to do with it". But the way I see it is: even if you 'know' what you want to do with it nothing is guaranteed. If you can afford it then I don't see why not, it might open new doors to you. Just remember to get work experience along the way.

right right right
duke5
Hi there,
With the job market dried up, I'm thinking (in fact almost convinced) of studying for a one year Masters. The subject isn't in particular demand (e.g. engineering, maths, etc), but it's in earth sciences.

It will cost around £4500, which I can pay.

Is it foolish to just do a masters degree that doesn't lead to a specific job? Am I wasting my money, etc..

Any advice welcome

well i would say doing one year masters isnt a good idea if you have no job experience..try getting into a program that has placement period adjusted in your masters.that would give you edge over the others.
Reply 7
taking the opportunity, i want to ask that is it reasonable to do phd in stretch from the point when you do you bsc.. like in stretch little work in between
Reply 8
duke5
Hi there,
With the job market dried up, I'm thinking (in fact almost convinced) of studying for a one year Masters. The subject isn't in particular demand (e.g. engineering, maths, etc), but it's in earth sciences.

Is it foolish to just do a masters degree that doesn't lead to a specific job? Am I wasting my money, etc..

Any advice welcome

earth sciences is good ... try to do a masters course in geology or petroleum exploration u can get employment in petroleum companies in exploration dept... it is good
Reply 9
You get to graduate twice:woo:
Reply 10
If everyone and his cat has an undergrad degree (no matter how unskilled they are at the subject - we all know these people) then surely an MA will put you above the rest? Every little bit helps.
Reply 11
KB_NI
If everyone and his cat has an undergrad degree (no matter how unskilled they are at the subject - we all know these people) then surely an MA will put you above the rest? Every little bit helps.

This is a common misconception. Some employers care, some employers simply do not. You need to research your career ideas to understand the impact that a MA will have in your target industry. Always worth going to careers and recruitment fairs and asking recruitment staff directly so then you can direct your time and money to maximum effect.
Reply 12
Don't do it, you hardly sound convinced.
duke5
Hi there,

Any advice welcome

Which one of the Earth Sciences is it? Certain Earth Sciences are fields where it definitely IS an advantage to have a masters, eg Exploration Geophysics or Structural Geology. Masters in those areas are good investments. Also Engineering Geology.
Reply 14
MagicNMedicine
Which one of the Earth Sciences is it? Certain Earth Sciences are fields where it definitely IS an advantage to have a masters, eg Exploration Geophysics or Structural Geology. Masters in those areas are good investments. Also Engineering Geology.

Hi there,

Sadly nothing that technical. environmental studies..
Environmental studies could be one of the next big things.
duke5
Hi there,

As a title it isn't giving much away. What does it equip you to be? Is it a bin man or the next director of Friends of the Earth?
Would anyone rmend doing a Masters even if they don't actually want a job? I.e. study for a hobby? This reason would presumably not help my personal statement application would it?
Reply 18
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Would anyone rmend doing a Masters even if they don't actually want a job? I.e. study for a hobby? This reason would presumably not help my personal statement application would it?

It is perfectly fine to do that as long as you are willing to bare the financial consequences.
duke5
Hi there,

Even within that field there are some more applied than others. If you can do an Environmental Consultancy course then your job prospects are good because that is a growing field and there aren't many places that do it. Leeds does it and the grads from that course all seem to do well.

Latest

Trending

Trending