The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
From what I know Biomed is a broader based subject than neuro, and studying Biomed I know that I can go onto medicine afterwards if I choose to. However you really need somebody from neuro to comment as well so you can see what it's all about as I don't know what prospects are available for neuro :smile:
Reply 3
The first 3 years of medicine is similar to biomedical science course. This means that if you decide to enter medicine as graduate, you can expect a lot of repetition from your earlier studies of biomed and hence comparatively easier then having studied neuroscience (the difference is not that great and you would hardly notice it).

From what I heard, biomedical science is not that extremely hard as long as you attend your class/seminars/laboratory practicals. So there is a lot of practicals involved in biomed as in medicine while i'm not sure about neuroscience.

If medicine is your goal, it doesnt matter which one you take as long as you get 1st or 2:1 for it. In term of employment prospects i think it's neuroscience (I'm saying that because there a lot of biomed graduates competing for graduate entry to medicine and jobs at NHS)
Reply 4
At the moment biomedical science is more concrete, whereas neuroscience is still shooting into the great unknown. For that reason it's easier and more fun to do biomedical science right now. But don't take my word for it, find some dissertations for examples from both fields and compare them. They'd give you a better understanding of what sort of concepts you'd be dealing with and what you might expect from lab. Read a bunch.
Neuroscience is clearly the superior option.

monkeyDace
The first 3 years of medicine is similar to biomedical science course.

I doubt it, to be honest.
Reply 6
There's Only One Way To Find Out..............................

Fight!
Reply 7
GodspeedGehenna

I doubt it.

Apparently it is from what I have heard from my lecturers, in some cases depending on modules studied it's possible to move onto medicine i.e. join in third year or something instead of starting from the beginning.

Another thing that matters for Biomed though however is the accreditation, the Biomed course I am on has NHS accreditation therefore I can apply for work in the NHS whereas if the course didn't have this I cannot work in the NHS. Certainly worth looking at.
Reply 8
GodspeedGehenna

I doubt it, to be honest.

To prove my point look at St George's uni website and look at biomedical science course click on course structure which gives the following details

Modules

Year 1: (120 credits total) all modules compulsory

Semester 1

Clinical Science 1/Interprofessional Foundation Programme (shared with MBBS students)
Cellular & Molecular Biology 1
Biomedical Skills & Technologies 1
Semester 2

Clinical Science 2 (shared with MBBS students)
Cellular & Molecular Biology 2
Biomedical Skills & Technologies 2

Year 2: (120 credits total) all modules compulsory

Semester 3

Clinical Science 3 (shared with MBBS students)
Therapeutics & Investigation 1
Biomedical Skills & Technologies 3

Semester 4

Clinical Science 4 (shared with MBBS students)
Therapeutics & Investigation 2
Biomedical Skills & Technologies 4
Reply 9
hmm i thought too many people are doing biomedical science so unis dnt like them as such, how about physiology is it any good for medicine/dentistry or postgraduate study
Slash_GNR
Apparently it is from what I have heard from my lecturers, in some cases depending on modules studied it's possible to move onto medicine i.e. join in third year or something instead of starting from the beginning.

Another thing that matters for Biomed though however is the accreditation, the Biomed course I am on has NHS accreditation therefore I can apply for work in the NHS whereas if the course didn't have this I cannot work in the NHS. Certainly worth looking at.

how hard is biomedical science, i heard 44% of people are employed after 6months of graduation and the rest out of work or do msc or phd ,what are you planning to do ?thnks
But i thought if you take biomed, during your 3rd year they'll let you choose a major(e.g. neuroscience, immunology, virology, etc)? :s-smilie:
SPJC
There's Only One Way To Find Out..............................

Fight!

Hahaha. nice.

OP biomed>neuroscience :yep:.
Well, actually I guess it depends on the university, some have very high employment rates post-graduation, especially if you do a year in industry, and as has been mentioned before many people go on to do medicine, dentistry veterinary medicine or even law- they seem to be the most popular in terms of further study.
Oh and accounting too :smile:
Reply 13
As a Biomed Student, I suggest you go for neuroscience.

If you want to go into med. then biomed would be better... other wise neuroscience is awesome lol
4TSR
As a Biomed Student, I suggest you go for neuroscience.

If you want to go into med. then biomed would be better... other wise neuroscience is awesome lol

In terms of workload and busy-ness, neuroscience or biomed? :o:

And is there any reason why you'd suggest neuroscience(apart from it being awesome)? :p:
Reply 15
Neuroscience Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulez
monkeyDace
To prove my point look at St George's uni website and look at biomedical science course click on course structure which gives the following details

Modules

Year 1: (120 credits total) all modules compulsory

Semester 1

Clinical Science 1/Interprofessional Foundation Programme (shared with MBBS students)
Cellular & Molecular Biology 1
Biomedical Skills & Technologies 1
Semester 2

Clinical Science 2 (shared with MBBS students)
Cellular & Molecular Biology 2
Biomedical Skills & Technologies 2

Year 2: (120 credits total) all modules compulsory

Semester 3

Clinical Science 3 (shared with MBBS students)
Therapeutics & Investigation 1
Biomedical Skills & Technologies 3

Semester 4

Clinical Science 4 (shared with MBBS students)
Therapeutics & Investigation 2
Biomedical Skills & Technologies 4

Having 4 shared modules in the first two years doesn't particularly equate to 'first three years identical'.
Reply 17
godspeed gehenna :smile:
Reply 18
ACatCalledMeow
In terms of workload and busy-ness, neuroscience or biomed? :o:

And is there any reason why you'd suggest neuroscience(apart from it being awesome)? :p:

Biomedical is too general, whereas Neuroscience is a bit more specific.

In biomed you pretty much do everything lol neuroscience included... basic neuroscience + basic biochemistry + basic physics and maths so you dont feel like a "proper" scientist lol.
4TSR
Biomedical is too general, whereas Neuroscience is a bit more specific.

In biomed you pretty much do everything lol neuroscience included... basic neuroscience + basic biochemistry + basic physics and maths so you dont feel like a "proper" scientist lol.

Hmm.. Which one's more interesting? :biggrin:

If i were to do neuroscience, should i take Bsc or Msci? :hmmm: Oh, if i were to further my studies to masters/phd, i'd be a neuroscientist , right? :biggrin:

Sorry, OP for asking so many questions on your thread. :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending