The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Profesh
This should aid in dispelling any confusion. 'AS' modules can be re-sat in order to improve A2 attainment, but will not alter one's 'cashed-in' AS grade which is a qualification, by and of itself.

So cashing in and accepting/decling grades are two different things?
Reply 21
Mata
I'm not a fan of resits either. I hope all universities are aware of people's resits.

re sits are absolutely disgusting and singlehandedly devaluing A levels. If only the r*tard education authority c*nts would realise this. Any monkey can get an A if he or she resits a module enough.
Reply 22
darth_vader05
So cashing in and accepting/decling grades are two different things?

You may either cash-in or decline your grades; but I'm unsure as to what 'declaring' them entails, exactly. Presumably grades that are 'cashed-in' cannot be altered by way of re-sits, although 'AS' modules may nevertheless be re-sat in contribution to one's A2 mark; hence Niccolo's two acquaintances were able to re-sit, although their AS grades would not have appreciated as a result.
Reply 23
Niccolo
re sits are absolutely disgusting and singlehandedly devaluing A levels. If only the r*tard education authority c*nts would realise this. Any monkey can get an A if he or she resits a module enough.

Somewhat extreme, but I do think that imposing a ceiling on the number of re-sits per module would be wise. One should really suffice.
Reply 24
Niccolo

Well, that wasn't my thought process *exactly*. But yes, I do think resits devalue A levels, and if a person resits then they should have to put it on their UCAS form. And I agree with Profesh that one resit should suffice.

But then I wonder, would I think this if I actually needed to resit?
I think having to revise for the resit module in addition to the non resits is punishment enough. They aren't just things that you can do without substantial effort.

That said, I had to resit module 1 chemistry so perhaps that's made my opinions biased :P
Reply 26
if i declined an AS grade, is that put in as pending on UCAS??

kes
Reply 27
Profesh
Somewhat extreme, but I do think that imposing a ceiling on the number of re-sits per module would be wise. One should really suffice.

I do not believe that the problem lies with the number of resits allowed per say, rather the period of time elapsed before one is allowed to retake a module. I say a two year minimum before the repetition of any particular unit is allowed should be introduced. That would sort the bastards out. Let's see how eager they are to re-sit their french and spanish modules until they can't fail to get an A (owing to the fact that they are gaining progressively more vocab, AS consequently becomes a piece of piss) if it means they have to go to uni a year late! It really is ridiculous. Failing that, all universities should be alerted to the fact that a particular candidate is resitting, to sort the wheat from the chaff, as it were.
Reply 28
I'm sure that a lot of people from my school told the universities they were applying to that the were planning to resit some modules, either in their PS or it was mentioned in the teacher's reference. Now that I think about it, my application probably included information about my resits. It didn't seem to do us any harm, perhaps some universities are more forgiving about them than you seem to be?
Correct me if i'm wrong, but no one has actually said what cashing in is yet, or what you have to do to "cash-in" your grades. Sorry if i'm being a bit thick but nobody at my school has mentioned anything to do with this and i am a bit confused! :confused:
Reply 30
amie
I'm sure that a lot of people from my school told the universities they were applying to that the were planning to resit some modules, either in their PS or it was mentioned in the teacher's reference. Now that I think about it, my application probably included information about my resits. It didn't seem to do us any harm, perhaps some universities are more forgiving about them than you seem to be?

Yes, they are. That is the problem exactly.
hey i put my AS grades down on my ucas form then got a rite earful when i showed it to my teacher to check. apparently as my grades aren't cetificated (forgive me, i'm not 100% sure what that means) then i was committing an act of fraud! so i've been told to take them off, or risk having my application declared invalid.
Reply 32
hannahbanna
hey i put my AS grades down on my ucas form then got a rite earful when i showed it to my teacher to check. apparently as my grades aren't cetificated (forgive me, i'm not 100% sure what that means) then i was committing an act of fraud! so i've been told to take them off, or risk having my application declared invalid.

Sounds odd - after all universities decide whether to accept people on results day - these results aren't certified are they?

I recommend talking to someone more senior than your teacher, if it's anything like my school, some teachers know it all really well and some don't have a clue.
Reply 33
If one receives straight A's in their AS results, wouldn't it be advantageous to them if they declare their results on UCAS?
jam_boy
If one receives straight A's in their AS results, wouldn't it be advantageous to them if they declare their results on UCAS?

Yes

Also if that person wants a good laugh they could declare any subjects they are dropping as an A-Level and it will be an E. Dont know what looks better though (A for As level or E for A level)
Reply 35
Niccolo
Yes, they are. That is the problem exactly.

Well, my utterly unclear point was that even if people were forced to tell universities that they're resitting as you suggest, it won't actually "sort the wheat from the chaff" in a lot of cases.
Reply 36
amie
Well, my utterly unclear point was that even if people were forced to tell universities that they're resitting as you suggest, it won't actually "sort the wheat from the chaff" in a lot of cases.

It will in the case of universities that are either very elite and competitive (Oxbridge, UCL, LSE) or the ones that are not quite as good but anal as fook (Durham, Bristol). If some bastard of average intelligence has got nearly all As/A*s at GCSE because they worked hard when they were a sprog, but crappy AS levels which they plan to resit (but the unis dont know about), then it would be deeply unfair if they were admittied (on the basis of this) at the expense of someone with lesser gcse grades because they were having fun when they were a kid a kid but brilliant AS levels (which incidently are also harder) as this same person decided to knuckle down when they hit 16/17.
Evangeline
I've put all my AS grades into UCAS as completed (AAAB) and I've put in all my future A2 exams as pending. I'm carrying on all four subjects.

Is that correct? And I'm retaking the B grade AS; does that affect anything? Do I still put it down on the form, even though it's probably going to go up to an A?

If you've declined it you cant put the B down. If you havent you cant get your AS grade up. Also, You MUST put down the Alevels you are continuing and put them down as pending. MUST MUST MUST. Or they'll think you've stopped them at AS.
Reply 38
Niccolo
It will in the case of universities that are either very elite and competitive (Oxbridge, UCL, LSE) or the ones that are not quite as good but anal as fook (Durham, Bristol). If some bastard of average intelligence has got nearly all As/A*s at GCSE because they worked hard when they were a sprog, but crappy AS levels which they plan to resit (but the unis dont know about), then it would be deeply unfair if they were admittied (on the basis of this) at the expense of someone with lesser gcse grades because they were having fun when they were a kid a kid but brilliant AS levels (which incidently are also harder) as this same person decided to knuckle down when they hit 16/17.

I agree.

Personally I love resits though :redface:
Reply 39
amie
I agree.

Personally I love resits though :redface:

lol fair enough, I suppose that it would be ridiculous not to if you have the chance to better your grades 'off the radar' as it were...have you ever considered (if you are a fairly motivated person that is) that if my proposals were in place, ie no resits for 2 years after the first one, you might end up with much better grades the first time round though (as more is hinging on it)??

Latest

Trending

Trending