The Student Room Group

Week 1 Of Uni And Not Enjoying It

I've been here for exactly one week now. I've never lived away from home before, which made it hard anyway, but now I feel like I don't fit in. Everyone loves to go out partying everynight, which I don't enjoy doing and I feel I have little in common with my flat mates.

Today was the first lecture on my course and everyone was sitting in pairs, or groups and I sat next to a couple of girls, behind a group and just felt alienated. I spent the whole two hours feeling really left out.

I'm really considering leaving and reapplying next year, but with not brilliant alevel grades, I'm worried I won't get a place anywhere next year... what do I do? How long should I wait before I consider giving up? How long is the cooling off period before I would have to pay the years fees?
(edited 13 years ago)
What makes you think you'll like the 1st week of next year enough to want to stay on, if you quit now? Just give it time.
Reply 2
stick it out - alot of people calm down alot after freshers and the first couple of weeks of lessons. you're bound to find someone in a similar situation as yourself and you may make new friends as a result :smile:
Reply 3
Give it time, I'm scared of this happening for me at the moment, especially since I'm new to the city. But at least other people are new right?
Reply 4
Hang In There! Give It Time!
Least your lectures have started, i got 2 weeks of freshers and im already tired!
Don't judge the university experience on freshers week. Ultimately, it is one week of ~115.

The real experience comes during your term time, when you're properly stuck into lectures and coursework. You're judging it on a very unique part of the degree which is not representative of the rest of the duration. Give it time. Let yourself get settled into a routine, learn the ropes so to say.

University isn't all about freshers week.
Find a club or society that sounds interesting and join it. That way you'll meet people with the same interests as you.
Reply 8
Some people hate freshers then grow to love uni. I was the opposite, but hey, different strokes :smile:
Reply 9
All I've been told in the last few weeks is how university is nothing like Freshers week. You'll find that once the courses really get started, people will stop going out as much, and when you get more involved in societies and things, you'll meet new people there. They're the people you actually have something in common with. And you've only had one day of lectures - there's nothing stopping you developing friendships with people on your course over the coming weeks. Moving somewhere new where you know nobody is going to be tough - but you're likely to gain a lot of from the experience and independence. Don't give up on it yet - give yourself some time. There are still loads of opportunities!
as said before freshers is nothing like the reality of uni
only a few people manage to maintain going out constantly all year
the first 2 weeks of uni is always the hardest but once everyone settles down and begins working you will find it becomes much more enjoyable as it feels a lot more homely

and after a few weeks back at home you will regret your choice to leave :smile:
Reply 11
With lecture, last year I just went up to someone and said 'do you mind if i sit here' and made a few coments about the hall ect and that worked nicely -we were very good friends :smile:. The thing is everyone makes out it's easy but it takes effort especially if your naturally introverted, and everyones in the same position!

Latest

Trending

Trending