The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wanischa
Thank you :smile:
Hope you have a nice bday next week as well.

I just read your first post properly...
I'm in pretty much similar situation.
I didn't get into uni.
Only just got my provisional license yesterday...

Gosh, I got my provisional over two years ago now, in anticipation that I thought I'd actually learn and pass quickly, lol, and I now feel like I've held on to it for waaay too long now :o:. Thanks though, and good luck :hugs:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Aw I'm sorry hun.. but hey you're only 19, you have so much more of your life ahead of you to make things better :smile:
Trust me things will get better
Reply 22
It all takes time to work out.

I am in my second year of Uni but only now do I feel ready to become a normal person. I found the first year so difficult in every social aspect there is, and the same went for College, but now in my second year I think I am ready to step it up and do what everyone else seemingly does so effortlessly.

Good luck to you, just keep in mind things will fall in to place at the right time when they're ready to fall. Call it fate, if you like.
Loads and loads of people feel like this, but it's wrong to. It's not like you have a checklist of things you have to do before you're 20. Ok, so there are some things you haven't done (like so many other people) but it doesn't mean you never will do them. Lots of people take their driving test several times. I'm 20 and I've never even had a driving lesson, ok?
I'm sure there have been loads of things that you've done in your teens that have been fun. The things that weren't so fun you will have learned from. If anything, getting older at this point in life can be a good thing as people tend to mellow out a bit and outgrow all the teenage angst and insecurity.
The main thing to remember is that you shouldn't do things just because they're deemed mature. Do them because you want to. No one will care about your lack of sexual experience and you're not obliged to share that with anyone anyway. Seriously, getting older is not boring. Life is only beginning for you! Loads of people didn't have the happiest of adolescences. In your twenties, you get taken more seriously by people and you're far less insecure. If you're cut up about your grades, maybe start a course at college or something, or an apprenticeship, or get a job and work your way up.
Aww :frown: Don't worry, just enjoy your birthday!

I'm 24 this birthday, so it could be worse.. you could be me!

You have lots to look forward to and experience, and growing up isn't so bad! :biggrin:
Climbontoyourseahorse
Loads and loads of people feel like this, but it's wrong to. It's not like you have a checklist of things you have to do before you're 20. Ok, so there are some things you haven't done (like so many other people) but it doesn't mean you never will do them. Lots of people take their driving test several times. I'm 20 and I've never even had a driving lesson, ok?
I'm sure there have been loads of things that you've done in your teens that have been fun. The things that weren't so fun you will have learned from. If anything, getting older at this point in life can be a good thing as people tend to mellow out a bit and outgrow all the teenage angst and insecurity.
The main thing to remember is that you shouldn't do things just because they're deemed mature. Do them because you want to. No one will care about your lack of sexual experience and you're not obliged to share that with anyone anyway. Seriously, getting older is not boring. Life is only beginning for you! Loads of people didn't have the happiest of adolescences. In your twenties, you get taken more seriously by people and you're far less insecure. If you're cut up about your grades, maybe start a course at college or something, or an apprenticeship, or get a job and work your way up.

Hey, thanks for the advice :smile:. I did leave sixth form this year for various reasons (was gonna do a third year but decided not to), and it felt like the right thing to do. I'm doing Business Admin at college right now, to improve my skills whilst I look for part time work and work experience. I'm also thinking of doing an Access course in the near future, though I'm still not totally sure if uni is for me. Decisons, decisions :eek3: . Hopefully things will get clearer in time though :o:
I'm 23 now. I didn't have my first boyfriend until I was 19 years old or have a prober snog etc... I didn't pass my driving test until this year.

Life goes though up and downs. After leaving university I felt down as I had to move away from place I loved after being unable to find work there. Even though I had a degree I had no control over my life I had to go where the work was. Just because you have degree and A-level doesn't mean that everything is great. You can have great life without a degree I know many people that do.
Justin Bieber
i am 16. my life is like a dream....i can go anywhere i want...i have enough money to go crazy!!! i like 16 cause im not too old like 19 and have regrets and stuff. sweeeet 16! im so lucky!

What in the world is wrong with you? stop trolling and go to sleep.
You're ONLY 19! So what you didn't get into uni first time round, I didn't. Plenty of people retake and reapply and in doing so find out what they really enjoy. Once you enter uni or whatever then you have a constant, something to work towards. You'll have new experiences, new friends (male and female) and you'll have a great time. I'm in a similar situation at you, try to be positive and honestly you have NOTHING to worry about, people do things in different ways and on different time-scales.

There is no "set path", everything will end up the way it should, trust me :smile:. At the end of the day, its all in your hands, you have the power. Ok, you failed your driving test. Book a new one. Retake modules or do whatever you need to do to get into uni/whatever. And its fine to have not "kissed" or "made out" with anyone - PLENTY people are like you just RELAX :biggrin:
Awww don't worry OP, I turned 19 last month, and like you, I had difficulty coming to terms with it, especially on the day. Now a month on, I couldn't care less, no point in being down because it's not like you change it :smile:
Wanischa
Thank you :smile:
Hope you have a nice bday next week as well.

I just read your first post properly...
I'm in pretty much similar situation.
I didn't get into uni.
Only just got my provisional license yesterday...

At least we are not the only ones starting to learn at 19 :p:
things will come together, dont put pressure on yourself :smile:
Reply 32
Boy-wise OP, you'd be surprised how quickly things change. I remember starting to question my relationship status when I was 18, I was single and had never been kissed. But sometimes things just...happen when you stop looking.

The important thing to remember is that yes, you may be stuck in a bit of a rut at the moment in school (I HAVE been there, it took me 2 extra years to complete my a-levels...and even then they SUCKED) but then something just clicked in my head, when I realised where I wanted to go in life. Now I look back on my experience with alevel results and think "Never again..." And that determination is going to push me through university.
I think taking some time out is an extremely smart thing to do, it's what I did (resitting aside) and I would have felt like I was going to uni for the sake of it...rather than learning.

ANYWAY, long story short - you might feel old at 18. But you still have plenty of time to put things right. I'm doing the same, and I'm 2 years older than you.
I've come across you a few times on here, and you seem to have a good head on your shoulders...put it to good use :smile:
dont be down! i like u cherrycherryboomboom.
it's easy to change all that stuff in a year... or at least make a start.
even if u don't, there's nothing wrong with it, my sister is 20 and never had a boyfriend, hasnt passed her driving test etc doesnt seem to bother her.
anyways, it's just a number and it's how you feel about these things inside. if you reeeally wanna lose your v or whatever you could do it easily, but no! you have dignity and self respect :smile:
good luuck and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Oh to be 19 again and have such small worries! I'm 3 and half years away from 30, and I still haven't learnt to drive or ever had a full time 'proper' job and am swimming in student debt.

My point being- you feel down about being nearly 20 and not having done things, but there's no time limit and imposing them upon yourself will only have a negative effect. Enjoy being 19 instead and all the good things that come with youth. Things such as having energy, not being continually harrassed by bills and being able to get out of a chair without saying 'ooff' to yourself each time :smile:
God, don't be so silly. 19 is nothing. I didn't do much with my teenage years but you have years to do whatever you want with the money and freedom to do so. I'm 21 tomorrow and I don't mind - I'm legal for everything :colone: And people who are going "boohoo I don't want to be 20" get a grip, why would you want to stay a teenager, it was CRAP!
Wow I'm in a very similar situation as OP.

Im 20, never had a gf/still virgin, left uni earlier this year. Still not exactly sure what to do with my life.
Reply 37
Botticello
I'm 21 tomorrow and I don't mind - I'm legal for everything :colone: And people who are going "boohoo I don't want to be 20" get a grip, why would you want to stay a teenager, it was CRAP!

erm... because it's even more crap :eek3:
Reply 38
New...Romantic
I sometimes feel a bit like this, like I spent my teenage years being good and sensible and now I wish I'd had a bit more fun. But all those things you listed can still be done, just cos you didn't do it before you were 19 or whatever doesn't matter. I'm 20 and can't drive. I still live at home (although only for three more weeks). At 18 I hadn't been kissed, never had a boyfriend blah blah and now two years later I'm moving in with him.

Getting older can be a positive thing. Think of all the things you have to look forward to, like going to uni and relationships. Being a teenager isn't that great tbh, I think being in your twenties will be much better. More freedom.

All of this.

OP, I used to feel like you. I think generally everyone is pushed into thinking that teenage years are the greatest, but it isn't the case for everyone. Personally, I like the freedom that being an adult brings, and my relationship with my family is better. I'm also more secure about myself. And I was reflecting today that I really like seeing how my friends have developed into mature adults, people I admire.

Indeed, I even felt at the end of uni that I hadn't enjoyed it enough, as it's meant to be the time of your life - but I think I might actually prefer "proper" adulthood. I know my brother did!

P.S. Despite the above, 19 was one of my favourite years of my life!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
CherryCherryBoomBoom
I left my school sixth form in the summer, but I go to a new college now, doing something else. Also looking for a part time job, which I've been epically failing at as well :sigh:. I haven't taken my driving test yet either, still need lots of lessons.

so how comes you're doing another year of A-levels? (presumbly you've already done year 12 + 13 in your old sixth form)

also, did your sixth form not allow you to go back and study?

Latest

Trending

Trending