The Student Room Group

Discuss your 2010-11 UCAS decisions *HERE*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Omio
I would really like to make a firm choice on Oxford, but I have serious difficulties about funding my studies. I applied for a scholarship at Oxford and the outcome won't come until early May. Besides, 2 of my offers are unconditional and 2 are conditional on proof of my A-levels, which I have already sent them and thus fulfilled the conditions.

I am trying to ensure that the UCAS deadline doesn't pass before I receive my scholarship outcome.

The UCAS website says:

Since it says "unless you live outside the EU", it might indicate that my deadline is 7 June, instead of 5 May (the usual deadline for UK students).

I would appreciate if you could confirm that my deadline is 7 June.

Thanks.

My mistake then. Your deadline is as displayed on track, -that is the official one.
Reply 481
Original post by Omio
I would really like to make a firm choice on Oxford, but I have serious difficulties about funding my studies. I applied for a scholarship at Oxford and the outcome won't come until early May. Besides, 2 of my offers are unconditional and 2 are conditional on proof of my A-levels, which I have already sent them and thus fulfilled the conditions.

I am trying to ensure that the UCAS deadline doesn't pass before I receive my scholarship outcome.

The UCAS website says:

Since it says "unless you live outside the EU", it might indicate that my deadline is 7 June, instead of 5 May (the usual deadline for UK students).

Thanks.

If you are living in Europe [the continent] , it will be same as the UK students. If outside Europe [America, Africa, Asia etc] then it will be on 7 June.
Reply 482
Original post by viola146
Ring them to clarify.

Original post by ShottaYB
so i apply to University College Birmingham and i just got a Conditional, but on the entry requirements before you apply they ask for C in Maths and English..but i aint got a C maths and im not even re taking it...but they wrote nothing about it on the Conditions..just said i need 200 points..so would they ask for it later or they just didnt care...because tbh i expect to get decline from them.
It may be that they have decided to accept something else in your academic record as equivalent to that GCSE. If a GCSE requirement is not specified in your offer, once you've accepted it as your Firm or Insurance they can't insist on a new condition come Results Day. However, if they realise they've made a mistake they can amend the offer - or withdraw it - before you accept it as your Firm or Insurance. I'd be inclined to let sleeping dogs lie, myself.
Reply 483
Original post by Omio

Thanks.
If that's what it says on Track, it is.
Reply 484
Applied for Geography and have offers at Manchester, Durham, Sheffield and Southampton.

I'm definitely firming Durham (AAA) but I'm completely torn between Manchester (AAB) and Sheffield (also AAB) for my insurance!

The courses are pretty similar. But with Manchester, I feel that it might be a bit big and loads of people go there from my school (which I don't know if I should try and avoid or not). Whereas for Sheffield, it's a lot more manageable (a lot smaller) and no one from my school ever goes there really! Although, Manchester seems to get much better rep than Sheffield!

Although, in terms of the actual departments themselves, Manchester's department is newer and bigger with new labs and other facilities etc. And in Sheffield, the department seems a bit more like..tired and on the edge compared to all the shiny new buildings that other departments have nearer to the centre. Although, overall, student satisfaction is higher for Sheffield than Manchester (by a margin but I don't know whether to take that into account!).

Also, the research areas for Sheffield seem to suit my favourite areas of geography more than Manchester's (however Manchester still researches in this area - glaciology ) so i don't know how much to factor that in...

The nightlife factor doesn't really bother me so much (after all, I am putting Durham down as my firm :wink: ) because, overall, any city packed with students will have a decent nightlife on the whole I guess.

Any advice?
Reply 485
Original post by Nayberay
Sadly not, they are both asking for AAB.

So only one can go down as my firm. :frown:

Have you decided yet?

Personally I think Birmingham and the area is a complete ****hole, the only "decent/different" looking thing about it is the Bullring and some good nights out. But Manchester seems to have a lot more to offer. As I said personal opinion, I do seriously dislike Birmingham (and the accent).

Look at the course modules, the finances and maybe things to do in the area.
Reply 486
Original post by Hnk2401
Any advice?
Don't rush it; see Firm and Insurance Choices.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Danzii
Have you decided yet?

Personally I think Birmingham and the area is a complete ****hole, the only "decent/different" looking thing about it is the Bullring and some good nights out. But Manchester seems to have a lot more to offer. As I said personal opinion, I do seriously dislike Birmingham (and the accent).

Look at the course modules, the finances and maybe things to do in the area.

Hey :smile:

Nope still aint decided yet. :frown:

Going down to an Open Day for both on the 2nd for Manchester and the 9th for Bham.

I'm gonna have a look at modules today, finance wise: Manchester give me nothing, Bham give me like £2.2/3k if I get in and get AAB. :eek3:

Plus I hope to get a job, my current job which I love (for the benefits lol, the job is actually overlong, but then I suppose thats retail for you) said they might be able to relocate me if I go Manchester but they haven't got a store in Bham. :frown:

Ahhhh
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 488
Bristol V Manchester V Durham. For physics and/with philosophy. Ideas anyone? going to open days at both manc and bristol so that will help me decide, havn't yet heard from durham.:confused:
Reply 489
Hey, I'm currently in second year and just got a conditional offer from Heriot Watt Uni for a transfer to 3rd year in September. The condition is 65% in second year... In my first semester i got 63% now. Does anyone know if HWU is really strict about that or if there is any chance to get in even if i dont get enough % in second semester to achieve 65% in total?
Reply 490
Original post by tesi-s
Hey, I'm currently in second year and just got a conditional offer from Heriot Watt Uni for a transfer to 3rd year in September. The condition is 65% in second year... In my first semester i got 63% now. Does anyone know if HWU is really strict about that or if there is any chance to get in even if i dont get enough % in second semester to achieve 65% in total?
This is an unusual scenario so I doubt if anyone will know for sure one way or the other. If the uni has set the bar at 65% that is usually what they mean, but in the event that you didn't achieve it they might look in more detail at your profile and still decide to take you. Your best bet is make sure you do achieve the level required.
Im having a panic about where to firm and have run out of money to go to anymore post offer open days (should manage bristol cuz its fairly close) and now very worried about what to do :frown:
Reply 492
I've got conditional from Aberdeen Uni for Marine and Coastal Resources Management :smile: And still waiting for 2 others :smile:
Reply 493
Original post by Shaazz
I have had two letters from Birmingham uni saying I have an offer from them, but my problem is that the offer still hasn't shown up on Track. I received the actual offer letter (with conditions and everything) yesterday, but it was sent the 26th of January (I dont live in the UK), so surely Track should be updated by now? I'm reeeally nervous, thinking they might have changed their mind or something.

See, with me, it's the exact opposite, and it's really unnerving. :s-smilie:

No letter whatsoever, no acknowledgement, but track updated about a week ago saying I had an offer for english & CW.

A week later, still no letter. Absolutely no contact at all. Not even an email.

I don't get it.

Also, don't worry. I got notified of an offer from Leicester by post, and it took two weeks to update on track.
Reply 494
Original post by Blemish
See, with me, it's the exact opposite, and it's really unnerving. :s-smilie:

No letter whatsoever, no acknowledgement, but track updated about a week ago saying I had an offer for english & CW.

A week later, still no letter. Absolutely no contact at all. Not even an email.

I don't get it.

Also, don't worry. I got notified of an offer from Leicester by post, and it took two weeks to update on track.

That has happened to me as well, don't worry! Last year I applied to City University and I did not get one letter or e-mail from them. Absolutely nothing. It was as if I hadn't applied for their course at all. I got an offer as well, but nothing about Open Days, accommodation etc..Then I made them my insurance choice, still nothing. I ended up not going (not because of their lack of contact obviously:tongue:) but really, don't worry. It might even take a few weeks until they contact you.
Although my offer from Bham was sent the 26th of January (it's on Track now btw:smile:) it took about 4 weeks for them, after my offer, to send me e-mails about accommodation etc.
So don't be worried, they'll send you so many e-mails eventually that you'll be fed up! :wink:
Reply 495
Basically applied for Journalism, hoping to get an offer from Sheffield (unsuccessful last year). Unfortunately was unsuccessful again, and having weighed up my options, I think that if I were to do a Journalism course, I'd want it to be a top one. The rest of my offers aren't great and I comfortably exceeded the entry requirements.

So thinking about switching to a Politics course - got my A in my ABB in the subject - and think it would still allow me the option to go into Journalism if I wanted. So hoping there's a good number of courses available through Extra. It's a risk, but one worth taking, and I hope that I should get into a course better and more appropriate than my current offers.

My only concern really is I'm not sure how likely you are to get on a course that is available through Extra. If it's available, and I match the entry requirements, do I have a reasonably good chance, or will I still need to be an exceptional candidate/is it still so competitive?

Just got to wait until Friday I guess before doing anything.
Reply 496
Applied to Sheffield and SOAS for Japanese + Linguistics. And at Manchester, Oxford Brookes and Newcastle for English and Japanese.

Newcastle was the only uni I really wanted to go to and they rejected me yesterday. So now I have to decide between good Japanese but no English at SOAS or Sheffield, poor English and Japanese at Manchester or Poor Japanese but good English at Brookes.

I'm thinking Brookes is the best course-wise, but it's also not a very prestigious university at all. Eugh.
Got a conditional from Aberdeen for BBBB this year. I wasn't even considering them until I got the offer (didn't think I'd get one at all), but now I quite fancy it.
Reply 498
Got rejected from Durham for geology. Not that bothered at first as I've got an unconditional offer from my first choice (Imperial), but a little surprised. Was a little upset knowing that someone had looked at my application and decided that they didn't like me as well as knowing that they give an offer to most earth science applicants. Oh well.
Reply 499
first post :smile:

Im thinking about going to the University of Wales Trinity St David (Lampeter). Im just really worried about social life there. Because its so small and i would like the chance to make some great m8s at uni. I dont go to clubs alot but love going to gigs. Does anyone know about Lampeter and would reccomend it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending