The Student Room Group

Paramedic Practice/Science-2011 Entry

Hello everyone!

Where is everyone applying for?

I've gone for UCLAN, Sheffield Hallam, LJMU, Edge Hill and Staffordshire

How many of you have C1 entitlement on your license?

What voluntary work do you have?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll post in here too :smile:

Hi everyone, I'm applying for a Paramedic course for next september. I'm going for Worcester, Edge Hill, Staffordshire and Sheffield.

I hope get onto one of the courses next year as I really want to be a paramedic! My qualifications aren't fantastic, I only got C's in English Literature and Technology, along with high marks in ICT which was a GNVQ. I also have a BTEC National Diploma in Performing Arts with a triple grade of Merit, Pass, Pass, also I have a NVQ2 and a VTCT level 3 certificate and diploma. I've done alot of things! :biggrin:

I'm currently at Learn Direct doing my maths and english courses, which is level 2 and equivlant to GCSE A*-C apparently. I have phoned a few unis and they said they would accept these qualifications in place of GCSEs.

I also have care experience, working with mental health (which I love) and also next month I will doing a First Aid course. I passed my driving test a few months as well.

So are my hopes looking bleak? I really want to get in next, it sounds like a fantastic thing to do and an amazing job. I have posted my personal statement in the PS help forum so I'm awaiting some advice. I also need to get a reference from my current employer.

So yeah from now and until jan, I will be worrying constantly about this. If I don't get in, I will be heartbroken, and I'll try again next year but I'm not sure I can wait that long

Any help and advice would great please x :smile:
Reply 2
Yay! I'm pleased this thread has been started, the original paramedic science thread has got so long.

I'm applying to Brighton, Surrey, Herts, Plymouth and Greenwich, all for the BSc (Hons) courses.

I've got grades AABa and I'm back at college this year to do an A level in Biology. In terms of work experience, I joined the Red Cross a few months ago for first aid training, I volunteer at an activity centre for disabled people and I'm volunteering at Vitalise in Essex for a week. I also did Ten Tors 4 times and have visited my local ambulance station to talk to paramedics. At the moment it feels like every single day is directed towards getting a place, and yet I still feel so unprepared!

I don't have C1 entitlement yet. I'm thinking about doing my C1 training and test sometime next Easter. I read somewhere that it's very important that you mention you can drive on your personal statement...anyone know how true that is?

Good luck to everyone applying this year!
Reply 3
I'm applying at UCLAN, Sheff Hallam, LJM, Edgehill and Northampton.

I got 4C's at AS, predicted BBB and am applying for provisional C1 entitlement at the moment.

Work experience-wise I've had some in hospital departments, had a chat at local ambulance station and am trying to organise an observational shift at a neighbouring ambulance service.

Keeping my fingers crossed!
pip91uk
Yay! I'm pleased this thread has been started, the original paramedic science thread has got so long.

I'm applying to Brighton, Surrey, Herts, Plymouth and Greenwich, all for the BSc (Hons) courses.

I've got grades AABa and I'm back at college this year to do an A level in Biology. In terms of work experience, I joined the Red Cross a few months ago for first aid training, I volunteer at an activity centre for disabled people and I'm volunteering at Vitalise in Essex for a week. I also did Ten Tors 4 times and have visited my local ambulance station to talk to paramedics. At the moment it feels like every single day is directed towards getting a place, and yet I still feel so unprepared!

I don't have C1 entitlement yet. I'm thinking about doing my C1 training and test sometime next Easter. I read somewhere that it's very important that you mention you can drive on your personal statement...anyone know how true that is?

Good luck to everyone applying this year!

They tend to ask about driving at interview, I didn't mention it, and still had a provisional at the time of my herts interview and still got in :smile:
Reply 5
chriscpritchard
They tend to ask about driving at interview, I didn't mention it, and still had a provisional at the time of my herts interview and still got in :smile:

Oh good. Thank you :smile:
This course is so popular!! I really don't mind where I go as long as I get a place somewhere :biggrin: I'm fast tracking human biology to improve my chances, that is dedication!

Voluntary work hasn't been able to happen because I've been a cripple for most of the year! So I need to get a move on with that. Is St Johns or Red Cross better?

& I'm applying to West of England, Greenwich, LJMU and haven't decided on the other two.

Been driving for over a year now and I'm gonna try and do my C1 before Christmas, but it'll probably be Easter :biggrin:
bananacake14
This course is so popular!! I really don't mind where I go as long as I get a place somewhere :biggrin: I'm fast tracking human biology to improve my chances, that is dedication!

Voluntary work hasn't been able to happen because I've been a cripple for most of the year! So I need to get a move on with that. Is St Johns or Red Cross better?

& I'm applying to West of England, Greenwich, LJMU and haven't decided on the other two.

Been driving for over a year now and I'm gonna try and do my C1 before Christmas, but it'll probably be Easter :biggrin:

SJA vs RC - it doesn't matter, some people on the course don't even have any prior experience :smile:
Reply 8
bananacake14

Personally I volunteer with the Red Cross. From what I've heard SJA and BRC are quite similar standards for first aid training, but Red Cross provides more variety of opportunities. They run loads of courses including driving, and different sorts of services like medical equipment loan. I've found them really informative and helpful with my uni application.
Reply 9
Can anyone help? In the Personal details part of UCAS, in the student support section, I selected fee code 2, and now it wants name of the authority? What do I do? I'm applying for 4/5 different unis for paramedic courses, what option do I select?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
pip91uk
Personally I volunteer with the Red Cross. From what I've heard SJA and BRC are quite similar standards for first aid training, but Red Cross provides more variety of opportunities. They run loads of courses including driving, and different sorts of services like medical equipment loan. I've found them really informative and helpful with my uni application.

SJA also provide driving training, equipment loan is a county thing

depending on what part of the country you are will depend on what you get to do, BRC in my area are non existant, whearas SJA are thriving.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm applying to LJMU, UClan, Stafford, Edge Hill, Plymouth and Swansea.

Experience wise I have B,C,D at A level, and am studying Human Biology and Introduction to Counselling with the Open Uni. I have my C1. I'm an Emergency Transport Attendant with SJA so I'm used to driving ambulances and spend half my time either in the med centre of my local race track or on NWAS support shifts. I'm also my units 'welcome' person for new members and I'm applying for the position of County Staff Officer Logistics.

In the last two days I've had job interviews for care work and trainee dispenser in a pharmacy, fingers crossed I'll get one of them.
S.L
Can anyone help? In the Personal details part of UCAS, in the student support section, I selected fee code 2, and now it wants name of the authority? What do I do? I'm applying for 4/5 different unis for paramedic courses, what option do I select?

The local one to you, for me it was "Essex"
Reply 13
chriscpritchard
The local one to you, for me it was "Essex"

Thanks, although I live in Kent and am applying for unis in Staffordshire, worcester, sheffield etc. So do I put "Kent"? How does that work? :eek:
S.L
Thanks, although I live in Kent and am applying for unis in Staffordshire, worcester, sheffield etc. So do I put "Kent"? How does that work? :eek:

Yes, you put kent, since they are the LEA local to you
Reply 15
chriscpritchard
Yes, you put kent, since they are the LEA local to you

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Happy_Holidays
I'm applying to LJMU, UClan, Stafford, Edge Hill, Plymouth and Swansea.

Experience wise I have B,C,D at A level, and am studying Human Biology and Introduction to Counselling with the Open Uni. I have my C1. I'm an Emergency Transport Attendant with SJA so I'm used to driving ambulances and spend half my time either in the med centre of my local race track or on NWAS support shifts. I'm also my units 'welcome' person for new members and I'm applying for the position of County Staff Officer Logistics.

In the last two days I've had job interviews for care work and trainee dispenser in a pharmacy, fingers crossed I'll get one of them.

I'm thinking about applying to Swansea as well, I rung up and they said you can only apply directly with an application pack and not through UCAS.

Have you the application pack, what does it consist of?
I haven't got the application yet but have one on the way over.
Reply 18
Happy_Holidays
I haven't got the application yet but have one on the way over.

Ok, I'm ringing up tomorrow and hopefully will speak to the course leader. I rung but got no answer so hopefully will have better luck! I met the entry requirements, except I don't have a C grade in Science! Will that be much of a problem?
Do you think you have to have some sort of experience to get a place?

Quick Reply

Latest