The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

I am in your boat, how long do you think you'd need to complete a short course in say French?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
Good luck getting into UCL and I hope this failure of your school not making languages compulsory doesn't diminish your chances.

I do agree with what others are saying - it's stupid that languages are not compulsory. I personally didn't like my french lessons and often found them difficult and this meant I had to put a lot of effort in to do as well as I need to and in the end I felt quite happy I had actually achieved something. I found at GCSE the subjects I initially hated the most, I got the most satisfaction from doing well in. I think languages are very important and we are far behind other countries in terms of being bilingual at least and just because speak English doesn't give us the right to say "we don't need to learn foreign languages". Really we should be taught languages more rigorously from a young age IMO. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
sign up for one now, put it as pending on your UCAS and take it in june. you'll get a predicted grade so it should count.
a GCSE language could be done in 20 hours IMO if you worked properly for those 20.
Reply 23
You could get a GCSE grade C if you started now from scratch. Go for it!

But I thought this rule was for 2012 onwards as it says in the same paragraph you quoted: " For 2012 entry, UCL will require a GCSE Modern Language at grade C or above for all of its programmes."

But if you're doing AS level now, is that not 2011 entry or are you planning on deferred entry?
Reply 24
Hylean
It was a sad day when the GCSE language requirement was done away with.

This

Saying that I did Spanish, French and Mandarin and gained A*s in all 3 :biggrin:
PJ991
You could get a GCSE grade C if you started now from scratch. Go for it!

But I thought this rule was for 2012 onwards as it says in the same paragraph you quoted: " For 2012 entry, UCL will require a GCSE Modern Language at grade C or above for all of its programmes."

But if you're doing AS level now, is that not 2011 entry or are you planning on deferred entry?

If you are doing AS now is it 2011 or 2012 entry?
Reply 26
lifesabeach
If you are doing AS now is it 2011 or 2012 entry?

probably 2012.
Original post by RubiesandSparkles
Same with me! I don't have a MFL GCSE. I did a different language GCSE instead. My school doesn't even offer a MFL. (Weird, I know!) I'm not applying to Uni yet, but anyway. :P

Wait...Isn't that the same thing? :s-smilie:
Original post by Dominicque
Wait...Isn't that the same thing? :s-smilie:

Well from what I've heard (might be wrong), an MFL means languages such as French, German, Spanish and so on. I did an Urdu GCSE. So I'm not sure if that counts, tbh.
Reply 29
MFL means "modern foreign language". It's in contrast to Latin, Greek and any other 'dead' languages you can think of. However, most people who take Urdu GCSE tend to be native speakers anyway, so I'm not sure if UCL would consider it as an MFL if you're a native speaker/were brought up in an Urdu speaking household.

Latest

Trending

Trending