The Student Room Group

motorbike won't start.. PLEASE HELP!

my honda cg won't start, it sort of ticks over slightly and splutters then makes this buzzing electric noise.. i'm kind of worried. i know its been cold and i keep it outside so the engine probably needs warming up so i've tried putting the choke on but its made no difference.

the thing is i rode it yesterday and it was competely fine! anyone got any advice?

Scroll to see replies

is your battery charged?
Original post by crimewaave
my honda cg won't start, it sort of ticks over slightly and splutters then makes this buzzing electric noise.. i'm kind of worried. i know its been cold and i keep it outside so the engine probably needs warming up so i've tried putting the choke on but its made no difference.

the thing is i rode it yesterday and it was competely fine! anyone got any advice?

Sounds like a dead battery to me.

Its exactly what my Honda Varadero 125 used to do when I was having a problem with the battery shorting out.
+ 1 for the battery, are you able to push start, or if you in north london i can come with jump leads....
(edited 13 years ago)
I vote for flat battery.

Try this, run along pushing the motorbike in 2nd gear with clutch in and ignition on, then jump on the bike and ditch the clutch at the same time and if that works then it was the battery.

I had to do that with my fazer for like a week once, a right bunch of effort...

Please come back and tell us if you've tried bumping it/charging it
Reply 6
My boyfriend had this problem with his bike the last few morning/evenings it's because of the coldness outside though so he lets it warm up then it's usually fine after 5 or so mins. Sometimes less. in buzzing electrical noise though.

But i'm no expert so i'll just agree with these guys about the battery as well.:p:
Original post by Enchanté
My boyfriend had this problem with his bike the last few morning/evenings it's because of the coldness outside though so he lets it warm up then it's usually fine after 5 or so mins. Sometimes less. in buzzing electrical noise though.

But i'm no expert so i'll just agree with these guys about the battery as well.:p:

Warm up- ie with the engine running? its getting it to catch thats the problem, i'm assuming he is putting the choke on.
Reply 8
Original post by Bathwiggle
Warm up- ie with the engine running? its getting it to catch thats the problem, i'm assuming he is putting the choke on.

Yeah he is, it took about 4 attempts last night when he was leaving mine though as it was freezing but it got going nicely in the end.
Original post by Enchanté
Yeah he is, it took about 4 attempts last night when he was leaving mine though as it was freezing but it got going nicely in the end.

Thats alright, my father is forever trying to start his bike without choke and wondering why it doesn't work
Reply 10
Battery, if that fails then look at the spark plug.
Reply 11
the battery isnt dead... and now when i turn it on it doesnt even splutter just makes this horrible clicky noise. weird.
how would i notice if anything is wrong with the spark plugs?
i dont even know where they are!
i miss my bike.
Reply 12
The clicky noise is likely to be the starter solenoid. The fact it makes a clicky noise is likely a good thing - the starter is working but it isn't turning the engine over. If you've been attempting to start the thing repeatedly it is likely that the battery isn't DEAD dead but does not have enough left to start the bike.

It sounds to me like the engine is simply very very cold. Have you previously been fine starting it on cold mornings? Have you actually started it on choke before? My bike doesn't like starting on choke at all - I solve this by, when I start it, revving the throttle and holding it open up to the revs it usually pulls while it's on choke. If the revs stay constant whilst holding the throttle open like this then put the choke on gently. If they drop off then be patient and keep it constant; if it dies try it again but don't be so hard revving it as you start it.

With some bikes, starting them in cold weather really is an art form.

Have you tried bump-starting it? Have you tried jumping it? (note: careful jumping off cars, never let them start their engine while your bike is connected, just start it off their cold battery - you can damage a bike's battery jumping off cars if you're not careful).

Don't go faffing with spark plugs if you don't know what you're doing. If it was running fine yesterday they're probably alright.
Along with 100% of the motorbiking soc here, maybe battery. This happened to mine. Also, check the electric cables to make sure they are supplying energy to the starting motor. Again, this happened to me :p:

And yea, don't touch the spark plug unless you knwo what your doing! I won't go near them.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Loz17
Along with 100% of the motorbiking soc here, maybe battery. This happened to mine. Also, check the electric cables to make sure they are supplying energy to the starting motor. Again, this happened to me :p:

And yea, don't touch the spark plug unless you knwo what your doing! I won't go near them.

You haven't had all of the motorbike soc here yet!

the battery isnt dead... and now when i turn it on it doesnt even splutter just makes this horrible clicky noise. weird.
how would i notice if anything is wrong with the spark plugs?
i dont even know where they are!
i miss my bike.

It might be dead enough not to start. Have you stuck it on charge?
I take it you've tried putting it into 2nd gear, pulling hte clutch in, someone pushing you as fast as possible, and letting out the clutch while pressing the starter button? (if you can't bump it alone, then this is the other way)

Have you noticed any problems with the running before now? i've never had my sparks suddenly start causing problems. And where do you store it?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by MHorman
I vote for flat battery.

Try this, run along pushing the motorbike in 2nd gear with clutch in and ignition on, then jump on the bike and ditch the clutch at the same time and if that works then it was the battery.

I had to do that with my fazer for like a week once, a right bunch of effort...

The starter motor on my Morris Minor decided to go on the way down to Cornwall for a week long camping trip to Lands End. Took the starter motor out and apart in the middle of the camp site (under the supervision of two other elderly campers arguing about whether a Beetle or a Morris Minor is better) and got it going for 5 seconds but then it died completely. Spent the entire holiday bump starting the car :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)

I meant the ones who were here :p:

OP if it is the battery, one day it will run no problem, and the next it just won't start.
Original post by Loz17
I meant the ones who were here :p:

OP if it is the battery, one day it will run no problem, and the next it just won't start.

ok... you'e been neglecting us! :frown:
Reply 18

It might be dead enough not to start. Have you stuck it on charge?
I take it you've tried putting it into 2nd gear, pulling hte clutch in, someone pushing you as fast as possible, and letting out the clutch while pressing the starter button? (if you can't bump it alone, then this is the other way)

Have you noticed any problems with the running before now? i've never had my sparks suddenly start causing problems. And where do you store it?

its the noise that is really strange! its hard to describe but like an electric sort of clicking sound that comes on when i press the electric start. i tried what you suggested though and started at the top of a hill and went down put it in 2nd, but sadly still nothing. apart from some odd looks from people around when pushing it up the hill!
i'm gonna take it to the garage or somewhere and hope that its not too expensive to fix cos the bike probably isnt worth it :frown:
time to take my test and get a new bike anyway i reckon!
its the noise that is really strange! its hard to describe but like an electric sort of clicking sound that comes on when i press the electric start. i tried what you suggested though and started at the top of a hill and went down put it in 2nd, but sadly still nothing. apart from some odd looks from people around when pushing it up the hill!
i'm gonna take it to the garage or somewhere and hope that its not too expensive to fix cos the bike probably isnt worth it :frown:
time to take my test and get a new bike anyway i reckon!

If it was gonna work you'd hear it choking then it'll splutter into life (i can start my bandit like this, but no the sv)

Doing your full test is always a good ida, so long as you don't want a fazer (just in before the lads say you want one)

You have put it onto charge yes???? if only cos the garage will laugh if you haven't. And you haven't run out of oil have you?

Where about are you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending