The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you lot all need meds to do your driving test surely that means you werent ready. I dont think its normal to feel that bad about it, it really isnt that bad.
Reply 21
Original post by PunkyFish-x
Aww! :frown: I've had the same feeling every test I went for until I passed.
Is this your first test? thinking about the test use to make me sick to the stomach and I would cry days before the test because of the fear of it. Some people use rescue remedy or have taken kalms which have calmed them down for the test but for me these did not work so instead I went to my GP and was given a beta blocker. I failed a good few tests due to nerves but on my last test I took the beta blocker which took all my nerves away and managed to pass. Although I would only recommend a beta blocker if you have taken your test and failed a good few times.

Make sure you have an early night and get some sleep. Even if you can't sleep just try! in the morning have a good meal before the test. I was even told by a friend that eating a banana can help reduce nerves but I don't know whether this works!. During the hour up to the run up of the test and the test itself make sure you take deep breaths and try and concentrate as hard as you can. Make sure you don't break the speed limit and if you find yourself in the wrong lane then carry on in that lane unless you can change lanes safely. On the maneuver just take it slow and carry out effective observations and whilst doing a maneuver you see a car then make sure you stop.

A friend of mine tried to pretend she was just on a normal driving lesson on her test which worked for her because she passed in the end you also don't have to be a perfect driver to pass the test as long as you show you are safe then you will be fine. I also took my driving insturtcor with me on my test which helped with my nerves. Even if you fail then the driving instructor will know what and where you failed on and can then sort those issues out before the next test.

I know this is harder said than done but try and not let it get to you. If you fail its not the end of the world you can just retake it until you do pass. Don't worry about it you will be fine! :smile:
Good luck and all the best! :smile:

Yes this is the first time I'm taking my test. I've heard about people taking beta blockers before their test and I'm probably going to end up having to do this! I just know I'm going to fail tomorrow and it's really getting me down because it's such a waste of money but I know I'm never going to feel good about it and I have to take the test some time. I wish I could just go back in time and never start learning to drive - it's too much stress for me! I'm probably not going to be able to sleep or eat in the morning but I'll just have to try.

Thanks for all the advice! :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by bubble11
That's a crappy thing to fail you on. Hitting the kerb because you're nervous doesn't make you a dangerous driver!
It does if there's a pedestrian on the pavement.

Anyway, how did you do? Was it as bad as you thought?
Reply 23
Original post by Advisor
It does if there's a pedestrian on the pavement.

Anyway, how did you do? Was it as bad as you thought?

It really wasn't as bad as I thought, thanks :smile:

I failed though :rolleyes: lol

I got five minors, which I was really happy with because I was going into it thinking I'd be given a huge list of things I did wrong! But I got one serious because I turned right at the end of a one way street using the left lane. I didn't even realise we had been on a one way street until he told me this at the end :rolleyes:

But at least I won't be as much of a nervous wreck next time I take my test :biggrin: I really was shaking and panicking this morning!
Reply 24
Original post by bubble11
It really wasn't as bad as I thought, thanks :smile:
That's comforting for others to read. The driving test isn't an inquisition; it's just a very basic test of your competence on the road. Did the examiner help you to relax?

You were worrying about the independent driving part. How did you cope with the directions being so nervous?

I didn't even realise we had been on a one way street until he told me this at the end :rolleyes:
Ouch. That's what the traffic signs and road markings are there for. Still, I'm sure you'll keep a sharp look out for these next time. :smile:
Reply 25
Any moron can pass a driving test. What are you worried about anyhow?
Reply 26
Original post by Advisor
That's comforting for others to read. The driving test isn't an inquisition; it's just a very basic test of your competence on the road. Did the examiner help you to relax?

You were worrying about the independent driving part. How did you cope with the directions being so nervous?

Ouch. That's what the traffic signs and road markings are there for. Still, I'm sure you'll keep a sharp look out for these next time. :smile:

The examiner did help me to relax. He was nice, he made conversation, asked me about Christmas and holidays and stuff like that and it did make me feel a lot more calm.

The independent driving was actually really easy. I thought I was going to be told a certain direction to follow - like him just saying follow the signs for Bury or something - and I'd be on my own just looking out for all the signs for one place. But actually he was telling me a new direction after every couple of signs so it still kind of felt like I was constantly being guided.
Reply 27
Lmao....this is so funny! My exact situation right now. I'm having mines today. Wish me luck guys***
Original post by KellyWab
Lmao....this is so funny! My exact situation right now. I'm having mines today. Wish me luck guys***

Ooh how did you do???
Hi all got my test in just over a week can’t seem to grasp the reversing while looking back. This will be my first test I really need that freedom to come sooner rather than later any tips on passing please 😀
Original post by CaptMag123
Ooh how did you do???

Good luck
Hi!
the first time is always nerve wrecking. if you wernt nervous you wouldn't be normal. I think you need to lower your expectations, don't make it as big as it is. basically, do not care as much. imagine it's your driving instructor sitting next to you rather than the examiner. I'm a pretty confident driver, but exams or tests always get me flustered. So I actually failed 3 times and it was the nerves that got the best of me. lastly, don't tell your friends or family your test date. That way the disappointment isn't bigger than it should be.

have a little pep talk just before. tell yourself, you've got this. you are in control of the car not the other way round. your driving instructor wouldn't send you to a test if he/she didn't think you were ready. A mistake is only as big as how you recover from it!

Good luck and I wish you all the best!
Original post by cyber1995
Hi!
the first time is always nerve wrecking. if you wernt nervous you wouldn't be normal. I think you need to lower your expectations, don't make it as big as it is. basically, do not care as much. imagine it's your driving instructor sitting next to you rather than the examiner. I'm a pretty confident driver, but exams or tests always get me flustered. So I actually failed 3 times and it was the nerves that got the best of me. lastly, don't tell your friends or family your test date. That way the disappointment isn't bigger than it should be.

have a little pep talk just before. tell yourself, you've got this. you are in control of the car not the other way round. your driving instructor wouldn't send you to a test if he/she didn't think you were ready. A mistake is only as big as how you recover from it!

Good luck and I wish you all the best!

Thankyou
You can always take it again, don't worry. I failed 3 times. At the first and second attempt I was anxious af, third one I wasn't worried for at all and would have passed if my examiner wasn't racist. So chill, you can always try again : )
Reply 34
I’m taking my 4th driving test tomorrow afternoon. 1st test I let my nerves get the best of me and actually started crying.2nd test, 9 minors would of passed but made a stupid mistake I’d never actually made before.3rd test was my best and I was convinced I passed. 3 minors and failed because I didn’t overtake a car. Actually got out the car and slammed the door on the poor guy, I was just so frustrated and annoyed. But hoping for the best tomorrow, my poor car has been sat in the garage for months so praying I’ll finally be able to insure it and get it out onto the road.
Original post by chlxem
I’m taking my 4th driving test tomorrow afternoon. 1st test I let my nerves get the best of me and actually started crying.2nd test, 9 minors would of passed but made a stupid mistake I’d never actually made before.3rd test was my best and I was convinced I passed. 3 minors and failed because I didn’t overtake a car. Actually got out the car and slammed the door on the poor guy, I was just so frustrated and annoyed. But hoping for the best tomorrow, my poor car has been sat in the garage for months so praying I’ll finally be able to insure it and get it out onto the road.

Hi there! This thread is from 2010!

Please check thread dates in future. If you'd like to discuss anything about learning to drive, then you can do so here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=534 :yy:

Latest

Trending

Trending