The Student Room Group

Work with glandular fever

I thought I had tonsillitis for 4 weeks before I saw a different doctor who told me it's actually glandular fever. I've been feeling really rough and it's obviously contagious, but he never said I should take time off work? I only work weekends anyway as I'm at uni.
Anyone had glandular fever, did you still work? Last weekend I worked it was the worst I've ever felt! Should I ring the doctors and ask for a note? Or man up lol.
If you're feeling exhausted, and unable to carry on with work, then yes you should ask for a sick note.

I was diagnosed with Glandualar Fever quite a long time ago, and during that time I had to take off around two months of school, due to the severity of the symptoms.
Reply 2
You're probably not contagious any more; besides, it's not as easily passed on as something like a cold, as you don't generally cough and sneeze with it-you'd only likely pass it on by sharing drinks/cutlery etc.

If you feel well enough to go to work, then go, if you don't, then don't and get a note from your doctor.

It can last anything from weeks to months as well; when I had it, it was a good six months before I was really feeling much better and a good year after that before every cold I got wasn't knocking me back again. It can be a horrible thing to have, and if you don't feel up to things then the best thing to do is get plenty of rest and take it easy.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest