The Student Room Group

How to improve my grades in Scotland to get to Uni of Edinburgh

First off, I'm not sure whether I posted it in a right section so if any mod thinks it doesn't fit here feel free to move to a more suitable destination.

Basically, I want to start education at University of Edinburgh, Physics. However my grades are not good enough. I finished IB and I need at least 6 at Maths Higher Level (currently I have 6 at Standard Level) and Physics Higher Level at least 5 (currently 4) to meet the requirements of the Uni.

I am currently in Scotland. I came here a month ago to get a job and start saving up for my future studies.

What do you think I can do to meet UoE's requirements that will be least time and money consuming (cause even though I have got a lot of time before 2011/2012 starts I still need to work)?

Obviously I thought of retaking Physics IB exam and taking Math HL IB exam, which is so far the only option I know of. However this turns out to be quite costly. Moreover UoE seems to prefer different exams, like Scottish Highers.

So could you please give me a hand and instruct what is the best option in my case?

Is it possible to take Highers exams without actually attending to any High School? Just learning at home (I believe I have sufficient knowledge to pass such exams without much help from teachers, etc.)

Should I do some course that will convince UoE that my Maths and Physics is good enough?

Should I get into a college that would give right degree? If so, is it possible to enroll so I finish the course in May or June 2011? Also how much time would I have to devote to it? And how much would it cost?

Is there any option to pass some kind of UoE's exam to show them my current level in the subjects?

Basically what should I do to get into UoE in 2011/2012?

It turned out rather lengthy. Thanks to everyone who has read that and is willing to help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending