The Student Room Group

single people - do you think you will still be single this time next year?

Scroll to see replies

Probably, knowing me. :L
Reply 81
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Um no. After i've got my degree, and then a job, i'll be quite happy to have a family. So until that point, i'm not really fussed about relationships. They cause nout else but hassle anyway.

Yeah this is pretty true. My last girlfriend I had when starting university. Okay it was "only" first year but I could tell it was going to be hassle that I didn't need (I don't mean to sound like a dick when I say that) but it was made worse when I get a call up from her when I'm revising for one of my failed exams, saying she's just crashed her car, a car she was driving uninsured and without a license... despite me warning her a number of times not to do it. She was unhurt so that was the important thing!
Probably. I've been single for about 10 months, happy with it for now but would hopefully meet someone next year. I'm hardly attractive or normal though :lol:
Reply 83
I will be single for at least the next 10 years
There is someone atm who likes me but I'm not sure if the feelings are mutual just now. I'll just have to see if my feelings blossom so it's half and half. But I have to say that this would be my first relationship, so I don't know how I would respond. I'm quite distant when a potential relationship approaches, so I'm ore likely going to muck it up lol.
Reply 85
Yeah, probably. I'm not out yet, so getting a boyfriend's a little tricky.
Judging by the last 21 years of my life...yep. Unless something goes terribly right once I permanently move back to British soil...
Reply 87
I should say I'm mostly happy being single, although I feel like female company in my life is lacking. People are like "Oh, go to Uni, pick up girls and have relationships lol lol lol" - it's too delicate a point in your life to take the risk, if you ask me. Get your degree, get a job and then think about a partner. Degrees are a lot of work and shape your entire future - don't put it at risk for some temporary fling with somebody you hardly know, especially when you're broke and pushed for time as most students are.

If I had £1 for every time a university relationship crashed and burned like the Hindenburg with fallout like Chernobyl; or if somebody's degree and studying suffered because of relationship related worries or distractions (e.g. a breakup); or for every time somebody said "My boyfriend is being unfair" or "My girlfriend got really angry" then I could probably work for a few years and retire comfortably aged 30.

Finding life partners at university no longer happens. Even finding life partners at all rarely happens these days - the average length of a marriage is 7 years and even now I'm seeing my parents' friends getting divorced after 30 years of marriage, so there are no guarantees whatsoever. I know plenty of people who have had endless amounts of sex and relationships, and they all say to me that it's not worth it and being single is the way to go. I'm prepared to take advice from people with that amount of experience.

Original post by Yawn11
but as this is a site dedicated to weirdos

:rofl3: but I agree in principle.
Original post by shinytoy
wow thats great, now i dont feel so bad!

tbh i only meet one person every say 3 years that i REALLY like. apart from that its the peer pressure of mates saying 'omg youve been single for ages, just date him, nobodys perfect, your too picky' that makes me date loadsa dudes.

really you only need to find one good one to make your spouse. i dont get people who go from one relationship to another. do they just fall in love really easily or something? are they desperate or not very selective? or very insecure hat they cant stand to be single?

Yeah, I've met 3 girls I can honestly say I really would have liked to be with. One worked for two years, another was already taken and who am I to break that apart and the third may still happen, though I'm not sure if I want to go there psuedo-again.

My sis goes from relationship to relationship. I think it's a mix of lonesomeness and a lack of self confidence tbh. Still, if it makes her happy.
Reply 89
Sometimes people just need to relax. Everyday I see lots of bored people on the train from college. Yet they don't try to talk to people around them, they just sit in their iPhones. People need to be more communicative, then things will improve.
Reply 90
Original post by ch0llima

Finding life partners at university no longer happens.

What about the future king of Britain and his fiancee? They got acquainted at university.
Reply 91
why???

Just don't it will. Nobody has ever shown any interest in me and that probably won't change until some major in my life happens.
Reply 92
hi folk

for those of you who are single, over 18, averagely attractive and fairly normal, do you think you will still be single this time next year? the year after?

im attractive but very very [picky and for religious reasons, i dont see the point in dating a guy i wouldnt marry. so as a result, i have very few boyfr's and alot of first dates that go nowhere. ive only had one good bf in the last 7 years (we were together 1 year) and have been single since we broke up 18 mos ago. i expect to date about 6-8 new guys this year, but expect to still be single this time next year since i like very few dudes.

what about you and why? also, state if you are a guy or a femme

This sounds exactly like me...lool
Reply 93
no. being single for 18 years and always will be. i love being sinlge :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 94
Yes, and I think the fact that I realise this is very positive. It saves disappointment for 2011 and I can think about other things more important, such as the decline in quality of shop made potato salad.
yeah, it'll be the same old story
Reply 96
Original post by Ilora-Danon
I honestly didn't think I would be single this christmas. I wasn't last christmas. But what can ya do eh.

Erm, in terms of next christmas, I'd love to be back in a long term relationship with marriage in mind somewhere along the line. I'm not going to have more than a handful of partners in my life, I'd rather be alone than with someone who isn't perfect for me. Just the way I am.

yeh, i know what you mean - i was with my gf last new year, but the horrible thing was, we were upset of each other exactly on Christmas and new Year and eventually broke up some time later...

you know there is a saying - however you meet Christmas or New Year, you will spend the whole year the same way. thats how its happened with me this year. i was in stress on the New Year and the whole year just ruined. so far the worst year in my life. the worst.

i hope itll change, i really do for the coming year...
I'd like to think I wouldn't be...you never can tell though...unless Dr Who calls :ahee:

I'd like to be un-singleised before xmas...but you never know if they're gonna reject. :sadnod:
yes
Reply 99
Probably. I haven't been single for the past two years, gone from one long relationship to another. I'm single now and need to make the most of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending