The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snap.Crackle.Pop.
Just got my accommodation offer :smile: GMS Lasdun Block, Premium Single, Catered: my first choice :smile:
Also, it says Floor 01, does that mean ground floor or one up?

Another GMSer, howdy! And it means one floor up.

:smile:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Celph Titled
Another GMSer, howdy! And it means one floor up.

:smile:

Hey :smile: Thanks, I didn't want to be on the ground floor! Which block are you in? If I remember correctly, Lasdun is the ugly lookin' one, but I'm sure it will be fine :biggrin:
Original post by rachhh31
I've chosen Leicester as my insurance (only recently because i was still waiting on a reply from Warwick - which is my firm), and it says that you can't apply for accommodation unless/until you've chosen it as your firm. I'm worried that if I don't get into my firm choice, I'll end up with accommodation at Leicester that I really don't want, because of a lack of spaces left after I get my results. I've read that lot of people put down all self-catered accommodation choices, but they ended up with catered anyway, which I really don't want to happen :s-smilie: !!

What's the availability of self-catered accomm. like after results? Is there any chance of applying for accomm. at both my firm and insurance just to be on the safe side??

At Leicester no there isn't. If it comes to it, you can just apply for city living? All of that is self-catered and there are tonnes of rooms there. You may get lucky and get one of the self-catered rooms if you apply pretty much on the day of results if you don't get into your firm but not into Leicester. Sooner the better as it is first come first served for room preferences.

Look on the bright side if you do get catered. You've got a room!
Reply 143
Does anyone here know how the application system works for conditional offer holders in terms of application processing?

I submitted my application in march when the system opened but the status of my application has remained 'submitted' and not been processed or confirmed at all. I understand they don't make an offer until the place is confirmed (offer conditons met), but I would have expected an application confirmation email or something?

I emailed them a week ago and still no response..... just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation.
Reply 144
Original post by goerigi
i submitted by application on the 11th march. i still havent had an allocation. is it because i have a conditional offer? or are they being slow?

Just out of interest, does your application status still say 'submitted' Or has it moved to being processed?
Hi,

I applied on the online accommodation service more than 10 days ago, and my application is still being "submitted", not being "processed" yet. Is it normal ?
Original post by ErasmusStudent
Hi,

I applied on the online accommodation service more than 10 days ago, and my application is still being "submitted", not being "processed" yet. Is it normal ?

Yes. Although if you are really worried give it a few days and then send them an email. I only say that as your username implies you'll be here for the one semester or year only.
Original post by goerigi
its still on submitted. leicester said it doesnt get processed until my offer is unconditional, aka august :/

Completely natural and the majority of applicants will be in the same position.

Also to be honest, I think they will have already lined up the room for you and just won't go any further until results are in.
Reply 148
Does anyone know if Leicester gives out lots of conditionals? Or if a lot of people get unconditionals, so the people with unconditionals get all the good accommodation?
Reply 149
Original post by medd
Does anyone know if Leicester gives out lots of conditionals? Or if a lot of people get unconditionals, so the people with unconditionals get all the good accommodation?

They give conditionals if your place is CONDITIONAL of results... they don't give them out for fun
Reply 150
Original post by lrs_17
They give conditionals if your place is CONDITIONAL of results... they don't give them out for fun

I bet they spin the wheel of fortune and depending on your luck you receive either rejection,unconditional or conditional offer ;P
Reply 151
Original post by lrs_17

that's not exactly what I meant, was just trying to figure out if they were similar to Scottish unis in that the majority of offers they give are unconditionals,

therefore these people will get their accomodation now (and get their first choices) so a lot of the accommodation has been allocated already, and the people with conditional offers have a smaller chance of getting the accommodation they want

OR

if Leicester mainly give out conditionals and therefore most people are in the same boat and don't get allocated accommodation until August, so this would mean you had a better chance of getting the accommodation you wanted
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 152
I would think that the majority would be conditional offers. Usually the only unconditional offers which are given out are to those students who have already made the grades and have taken a gap year etc.
Reply 153
Original post by QI Elf
I would think that the majority would be conditional offers. Usually the only unconditional offers which are given out are to those students who have already made the grades and have taken a gap year etc.

thanks
Reply 154
Original post by lrs_17
Just got my accommodation offer :biggrin:, I'm in JoFo
The Coppice Flr 1 Flat 14!!
Anyone else in there, or in JoFo at all?

Im also in The Coppice :smile: Flr 1 Flat 12! We are almost flatmates :smile:
Reply 155
Original post by britals

Yaaaay, awesome :biggrin:
Reply 156
Original post by goerigi

Original post by goerigi
its still on submitted. leicester said it doesnt get processed until my offer is unconditional, aka august :/

Hi! I'm glad I saw this, I started to panic when I saw people already had offers of accommodation!!! :smile:
Reply 157
Original post by britals

I'm in The Coppice too :smile: Flr 1 Flat 10!
This post is purely for people who, like I did last year, didn't apply until quite late.

Anyone telling you Mary Gee is awful, to be honest I wouldn't listen to them. I'm in a block with 9 other girls, and even though we've had quite a few disagreements over the kitchen (4 of us are clean, the rest.... definitely not) it isn't actually that bad here (maintenance issues aside.)

The kitchen is a little small for 10 people, but it's manageable, the rooms are of good sizes, there are shelves, a wardrobe, a bedside table, usually drawers in the desk (always a desk) - usually a separate comfy chair but I didn't get one for some reason - kick up!), the porter is an absolute nightmare but meh, the heating is a bit haywire (turns on/off at ridiculous hours), the carpet is annoying in that no matter how many times you hoover it, it never quite picks up all the dirt off the carpet, the bathrooms are of good sizes (there are two, one on the ground floor and one on the top floor) and you're lucky because you have a bath. Yes, a BATH. And really, I have the best housemates I could ever have wished for. It's not about the place you live, it's about the people you meet. :smile: (I realise I haven't made it sound all that great, but really, it is liveable - we've coped!)

I don't personally know why I ever thought I could afford John Foster in the first place; I know of at least a dozen people who have had to move out of JoFo halfway through the year due to money problems - and they've actually moved to Mary Gee. I paid £2975 for the whole year, and this has risen but not by much. It's still about £1000 cheaper than anywhere else - £1000 I couldn't do without.

Anyone please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I finished my exams on Friday so I am available right from now until October (well, September - I may have resits. :p:) I was exactly the same last year, bugging anyone with the word Leicester in their signatures :biggrin: People at Leicester always seem to be very friendly - and most would likely welcome PMs, so don't be afraid, we won't bite. :smile:

Also, another thing: I have pictures if anyone is paranoid about Mary Gee - you'll have to excuse my room being a tip but it's fine. I quite like my room. :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 159
Im a postgrad student in Opal Court Block B Floor 4. Anyone near me? x
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending