The Student Room Group

Do you need a car at Uni?

Basically when i was taking all the accommodation tours at each uni i visited, they all said you won't need a car.

Now is this the case or is it an attempt to just keep traffic down? Each of my uni choices all had great public transport around the area, so is there any need?

Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

If there's great public transport, then you've just answered your own question. Just save the cash and take the bus instead!
At Brookes, in the first year you're not allowed a car, provision of the Accomodation contract. Not sure whether it's like that for other uni's/ cities but I'm guessing you probably don't, no.
Most unis don't allow you a car in your first year if you're at halls. I have a car at uni and whilst I don't need it it sure is convenient and cheaper for me.
Reply 4
Yeh one Uni stated I wouldn't be allowed one, but the others advised me not to bother. Cheers guys, was just wondering.
About 2 people at my uni had a car and that was for the whole 4 years. You definitely don't need one, the majority won't.
I'm not bothering with one. I was considering taking driving lessons in January, but I figure that as long as there's a decent public transport network or the uni is within walking distance then it doesn't matter.
Reply 7
At De Montfort I didn't need a car but I took mine anyway.

At Nottingham I needed one and so I took it with me.

Plus it was great for weekends when I fancied going to another city or some obscure place where it's difficult to get to using public transport.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by hothedgehog
Most unis don't allow you a car in your first year if you're at halls. I have a car at uni and whilst I don't need it it sure is convenient and cheaper for me.

So some Unis actually say, no you're not allowed a car? Wow, that's ****...

My Uni (Hull) actually encouraged it in our first year by offering free parking in a massive car park just outside their main accomodation. They had good public transport roots too...

No you don't need one, but it helps...
Reply 9
If are allowed to have one, most unis have a car parking fee, also i heard when you tell your insurers, theyll up your insurance, because you have your car at uni, a higher risk category..
Not if you're in halls, nope :smile: Particularly if you live on campus.. but most unis have busses regularly from campus to halls so you'll most likely be fine.. not really worth the insurance tbh while you're there.. plus you'd be used a lot as a taxi service, as hardly anyone takes their car to uni.
Original post by zKlown

My Uni (Hull) actually encouraged it in our first year by offering free parking in a massive car park just outside their main accomodation. They had good public transport roots too...

Yeah, some uni halls won't accept cars on their hall campuses.

Also, I know southampton has a very strong policy of no cars on campus. There's barely anywhere around here to park and definitely not enough car parking space for everyone who works at the uni.
I think parking is expensive.
essex have said we are not allowed cars, if i get a car i am going to ge something easy to sell to someone in september.
When they say you are not allowed a car, I assume this means you are not allowed to bring a car onto campus?
I don't see how they could forbid you from bringing a car to uni and parking it legally on a public street or car park.
The only person throughout uni that I met that had a car was because she needed it.

She was a nurse and had to do placements all around the city so it was pretty vital that she had a car. For most other students there is no point at all really! Unless you travel home a lot!
Reply 16
Original post by zKlown

Hardly suprising HULL encouraged it. The place is a ****hole.
Yet another stupid post about Hull by someone who thinks they're being so clever. Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by notanumber
Yet another stupid post about Hull by someone who thinks they're being so clever. Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!

But hull is a dump?
Reply 19
Original post by TravelGuru
Hardly suprising HULL encouraged it. The place is a ****hole.

Why is it hardly surprising? Your statement makes no sense, why would they encourage students bringing cars on the basis the place is a ****hole? GTFO

Loooooool

Where you from/live BTW?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending