The Student Room Group

What can I do in life? Serious question?

I am 21 years old and studying Finance. I will probably end up in a career in finance though I don't want to feel like I've missed out on an opportunity to make the most of my talents and interests. I have an immense knowledge of most sports. I can sing. I love learning about new cultures and people. I know the national anthems of 12 countries and can also mimic 15 accents from around the world in addition to being able to mimic politicians and sportspeople from around the world. I can mimic a person within 10 minutes of meeting them.
Also, I have a good sense of humour and can understand jokes from most parts of the world. Plus, i'm great with languages.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Join a comedy society or something?
Reply 3
Original post by Rzc
Join a comedy society or something?

Yeah that would be temporary, anything I can do for my whole life? I mean, I don't want to waste this.
Societies are always a good way of exploring your interests and seeing if you can acquire enough skills/contacts to branch out into that area. I don't know much about Finance degrees and whether you'd actually have to stick with it in the job market, but transferable skills are always handy! Plus you never know where uni ECs might be able to lead you :smile:

Specific career-wise, have you thought about journalism, broadcasting or diplomacy? Your interest/knowledge of languages and cultures could be handy there :yes:

Or the secret service? Though for that I get the impression you'd be headhunted rather than applying? :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
What is it you want to do?
Reply 6
Original post by Roo Bix
What is it you want to do?

Anything but a boring career in Finance.
Have you gone to your uni careers dept and asked for their help?

Did you ever want a career in Finance, out of interest? :smile:
Original post by confusedperson
I am 21 years old and studying Finance. I will probably end up in a career in finance though I don't want to feel like I've missed out on an opportunity to make the most of my talents and interests. I have an immense knowledge of most sports. I can sing. I love learning about new cultures and people. I know the national anthems of 12 countries and can also mimic 15 accents from around the world in addition to being able to mimic politicians and sportspeople from around the world. I can mimic a person within 10 minutes of meeting them.
Also, I have a good sense of humour and can understand jokes from most parts of the world. Plus, i'm great with languages.

Become an impressionist comedian?

Go on X-Factor?

Become a sports pundit?

Study anthropology and become an archeologist?
Reply 9
Join Wagner in his global conquest.
Reply 10
This just sounds like you're trying to show off your "talents", in my opinion.
Original post by TheRevolution
Become an impressionist comedian?

Go on X-Factor?

Become a sports pundit?

Study anthropology and become an archeologist?

Can you seriously become a sports pundit despite not having played a sport competitively?
Reply 12

Think about this now. What would you like to be doing, as a career, and enjoy? Stand-Up comedy? Singing?
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Have you gone to your uni careers dept and asked for their help?

Did you ever want a career in Finance, out of interest? :smile:

Well yeah, a few years ago. I have an Asian background so unless you're asian you probably won't understand what that's like. Kind of forced into either doing engineering, medicine, law or finance.
Original post by Roo Bix
Think about this now. What would you like to be doing, as a career, and enjoy? Stand-Up comedy? Singing?

Something that combines all these things. Cos I'm a good singer but not good enough to be a singer.

So this less of a general 'What Can I do with my life?' and more of a 'I've spent 3 years doing the wrong degree, I hate my potential career path and there's nothing I can do about except turn away from it and try and use my other skills to pursue a career I enjoy... NOW WHAT CAN I DO WITH MY LIFE!?'

No? :P
Can you seriously become a sports pundit despite not having played a sport competitively?

In some sports I think so.

There are definetley some tennis ones and some cricket ones. Even football you could be a commentator w/out a playing career like john motson. perhaps it isnt the best option idk
Original post by shahedul
So this less of a general 'What Can I do with my life?' and more of a 'I've spent 3 years doing the wrong degree, I hate my potential career path and there's nothing I can do about except turn away from it and try and use my other skills to pursue a career I enjoy... NOW WHAT CAN I DO WITH MY LIFE!?'

No? :P

Kind of :P
Reply 18
Original post by TheRevolution
In some sports I think so.

There are definetley some tennis ones and some cricket ones. Even football you could be a commentator w/out a playing career like john motson. perhaps it isnt the best option idk

Commentary isn't a bad idea, actually. You enjoy learning about new cultures, enjoy sports, and have a sense of humour.
Reply 19
do a lil' wayne impression :wink:

make a youtube account and make videos of you doing impressions of people. are you any good at writing songs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending