The Student Room Group

Independent student status- Do I qualify?

I am applying for independent student status, as I have supported my self since leaving school. If my application is successful this will mean I am eligible for a maintenance grant. I spoke to student finance on the phone, but they didn't really seem to know what they were talking about. The guy I spoke to implied I would needed to have earnt £7700 for the last three tax years to be eligible. I know this isn't true from the literature on the website, as it states earnings do not have to be in consecutive years. I am interested to know if this quoted figure of £7700 is also true, because I just fall short of this figure. Here is my earnings breakdown I obtained from the Inland Revenue.

2009-2010: £6549
2008-2009: £28984
2007-2008: £5844
2006-2007: £4809
2005-2006: £7560
2004-2005: 11293

This was as far back as the Inland Revenue could go, I am pretty sure I would have earnt over £7k in the 03-04 tax year but surely the above proves Independent status- I can't find any literature which describes the required earning threshold in order to be considered "independent"
Does anyone know if this is sufficient proof to be eligible for a independent student?
I doubt they'll accept 2007-08 as enough to be independent.
Reply 2
No, but they might accept 2005-2006 in it's place? The years do not have to be consecutive, so they would accept 2008-2009 & 2004-2005 but I am worried as to whether they would accept 2005-2006 as the third year ( I was a few hundred short of this £7700 threshold, if this is even true- i've seen different figures quoted?)

I guess i'll just have to send it off and see. If they don't accept it I will try and get evedence going back even further to the 2003-2004 tax year (does anyone know where I could obtain this)?

Just wondering If I have a case on the quoted earnings, and what the likelyhood of this evedence being accepted is. I think it's pretty clear I have supported myself for more than three years from that..

Original post by hypocriticaljap
I doubt they'll accept 2007-08 as enough to be independent.
Reply 3
The regulations do not state an exact figure, in actual fact they say that the student must demonstrate they were able to support theirself solely from their earnings. If you can do this, the figures shouldn't be as important. If they insist it's a set figure, they are in breach of The Education (Student Support) Regulations 2009.
That's interesting Taiko - I've recieved letters from them quoting a tax year must have been over £7500 to count. OP I've never heard the figure £7700 quoted, only £7500. In which case you should be fine because, as you say, the years do not have to be consecutive. I'm intrigued though, how did you pay rent etc in 2006-7 when you earned less than £5k??
Reply 5
I've read of this £7500 figure on here too- I was thinking prehaps they increase the amount in line with inflation and real wage prices. The actual figure he quoted was something like £7740 but I can't remember exactly.

I'm just going to send of that statement anyway and take it from there. But surely even if £7740 was now the threshold a hundred or two less in one year shouldn't be a problem?. For instance last tax year although I earnt less than £7.5k I supported myself on savings (I was at college). I did read on an old thread somewhere that the figures where just a guideline but there seems to be so little information on the subject. I'll be classed as an independent student next year anyway as i've just turned 25. It's just this year I have a problem with.

Original post by modgepodge
That's interesting Taiko - I've recieved letters from them quoting a tax year must have been over £7500 to count. OP I've never heard the figure £7700 quoted, only £7500. In which case you should be fine because, as you say, the years do not have to be consecutive. I'm intrigued though, how did you pay rent etc in 2006-7 when you earned less than £5k??
Reply 6
Interesting. I guess these figures are just used as a guidline then.. the guy did say "generally to be classed as independent we would requre you to have earnt £7740 in a tax year for three years prior to commencement of study"

I guess I can only just send my forms off and hope for the best. I would be absolutely gutted though if I was to lose out for being just a £100 or so below the threshold.

My university also gives a bursary of £3000 for mature students receiving the full maintenance grant so i'd be losing out on £6500 or so.

Original post by Taiko
The regulations do not state an exact figure, in actual fact they say that the student must demonstrate they were able to support theirself solely from their earnings. If you can do this, the figures shouldn't be as important. If they insist it's a set figure, they are in breach of The Education (Student Support) Regulations 2009.
Reply 7
Honestly, they shouldn't be.

When I was looking at assessments, we generally looked for it to be roughly inline with income support/JSA levels for the year. We wouldn't say a straight no to someone, we'd always invite them to provide further evidence on how they support theirself.
Reply 8
Thanks Taiko- so you think there is a resonable chance I may be deemed an independent student for this academic year, given my earnings breakdown over the years?

Original post by Taiko
Honestly, they shouldn't be.

When I was looking at assessments, we generally looked for it to be roughly inline with income support/JSA levels for the year. We wouldn't say a straight no to someone, we'd always invite them to provide further evidence on how they support theirself.
Reply 9
I believe you should be. It's not for me to decide though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending