The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why?
Apologises then if I misunderstood, who is saying they should coast then and when?

You should definitely not coast down hill, brake fade is nasty.
Yes, STEEP hills are very bad to coast down. The sort of hills I coast down aren't very steep at all. Just steep enough to keep me at a constant speed of about 40mph. Those are perfect. Or on an exit ramp.

The other sort of coasting is if say you're driving around at a low speed of 25-30mph and you know that you're about to come to a complete stop because there's a redlight or stopped traffic or whatever. Then I don't see a problem with coasting until you've stopped. Even at a slightly higher speed, if you coast from a long enough distance, it will slow down on it's until you get to very low speed at which you'd need to apply the brakes.

Another problem I have with engine-braking all the time (not around corners and on steep hills :rolleyes: ), is that the driver behind you won't see any brake lights whilst you're slowing down. This can be particularly bad if a speeding car behind you is tailgating you. If he doesn't realise you're slowing down, he may not hit the brakes in time. Unless ofcourse you fully trust the guy behind you and his attention span & reflexes. I don't, but hey...
Reply 23
I passed my test in 2001, so things might be different now, but my examiner warned me that I was coasting a bit on my test and I should get out of the habit - it wasn't enough to get any kind of fault, but I imagine it's down to the examiner's discretion.

As with anything on your test, if coasting results in your losing control of the vehicle or doing anything else unsafe, then obviously you will fail.
Reply 24
Solution to the problem with not having brake lights when engine braking is when you use engine braking just tap the break pedal gently to flash the break lights.
Good idea.

But one, using some of the same logic, might say you're not in control when you lift your right foot off of the acc. pedeal :rolleyes: I'm joking :biggrin:
Reply 26
Surely some of the logic about not coasting down a steep hill is that when you take your foot off the clutch again (whilst still moving along) you may be in the wrong gear, and your car will suddenly slow down, taking both you and anyone around you by suprise?
Reply 27
Thanks for ur help ( i dont coast around corners...used to....but just wondering :smile: ) I thought of sumthing else...in the test, if u were doing a manouvre on a downhill slop can u coast then, like doing a 3 point turn if u can move quick enough without gas, or do they expect u to bring the clutch up gradually, cos my instructor just says clutch down n use the brake.... :confused:
Cheers
Ghost
Surely some of the logic about not coasting down a steep hill is that when you take your foot off the clutch again (whilst still moving along) you may be in the wrong gear, and your car will suddenly slow down, taking both you and anyone around you by suprise?

Why would I be in the wrong gear?

--------------

Hey, the_face, I think your sig is supposed to be this:

You forgot to put the '/' slash before img in the last tag.

I'm not fully understanding your question. If you're doing a 3pnt turn, you'll be going so slowly, I don't think you can really call it coasting, it'd be more rolling.
Reply 29
hehe yea thanks for the sig help.
I mean can u just put it in first, keep the clutch down n roll forward doing the turn etc. then just reverse back like normal etc. It's technically coasting cos the clutch is down while moving but its for a manouvre and very slow so is that allowed?
Not sure. Sorry.
Reply 31
I was taught to keep one foot on clutch, one on brake - and to let the clutch out as required when doing the manouvres. If it is not required to let the clutch out, then probably you shouldnt - as doing so will just make the car move faster than you want it to.
Reply 32
My instuctor told me that the car turns into a giant rollerskate when coasting!
Magigy
My instuctor told me that the car turns into a giant rollerskate when coasting!

You're instructor likely smokes crack. :biggrin:
Reply 34
haha

Its not like hitting black ice, I still don't see why you'd do it when not stopping/maouvering/carpark driving. If your in the right gear you should be fine
Rollerskates you say?
Probably just the same thing as dogs turning into baby elephants in a crash.
Reply 36
Try rolling around a corner without the engine on and it feels like alot of your control is gone (imprecise steering-very understeery)! Its basically the same thing when you're coasting, only coasting is louder as the engine's on!
You need the engine braking to help you to judge your speed and have full control while cornering. Thats why that type of coasting (coasting at some sort of speed where the clutch doesn't need to be in) is a fault in your practical driving exam.
Nah, i just use my quick-release-boat-anchor for when i'm coasting, it flies out the boot and acts like a very slow acting and largely unnefficient brake. I don't really know why i do this...
Reply 38
You could be in the wrong gear after coasting because you may be coasting down a hill, have picked up speed, and when you take your foot off the clutch, you may be going way too fast for the gear you were in.
Well, just put in the right gear. Why would anyone put it in, say 3rd, if there doing 50mph? You should know what gear you're supposed to be in judging by what speed you're going, not just what order of gears you need to go through.

micDurand
Try rolling around a corner without the engine on and it feels like alot of your control is gone (imprecise steering-very understeery)! Its basically the same thing when you're coasting, only coasting is louder as the engine's on!
You need the engine braking to help you to judge your speed and have full control while cornering.
Thats why that type of coasting (coasting at some sort of speed where the clutch doesn't need to be in) is a fault in your practical driving exam.

That's just not true, who told you this? The only difference not having the engine on whilst turning makes is that you lose powersteering; it doesn't suddenly make you understeer. Do you know what understeer is? And this is NOTHING like coasting around a corner. I don't agree with coasting around corners, I think it's wrong, but this is definately not a reason why, it doesn't make sense.

Latest

Trending

Trending