The Student Room Group

Do I have the right to be depressed? My problems aren't very big!?

I really hate myself. I pretty much fail at everything I do. My life's actually quite good (not bragging). I come from a fairly well-off family, I've got friends etc. But I'm just rubbish at everything, even being a good person. I failed my A-levels, had to repeat them before I could get into University, and now I've failed to get a mandatory work placement, so have to redo another year again. I have friends, but I'm pretty much the clown of the group, but more laughing at me than with me. And I'm 21 and still a virgin, and never had a girlfriend, and the girl I love doesn't even speak to me anymore. I feel depressed, but don't think I have any right to be depressed as there are people who have it a lot worse in this world. But right now I just feel like the worlds biggest failure, and it seems there's nothing I can do about it. I've been applying to do other jobs, but still failed to get them. The fact that I'm from a fairly wealthy family just makes it feel even worse, cos I've had a headstart in life, and still managed to f**k everything up. I go to bed at night wishing I wouldn't wake up, cos I'm too much of a coward to actually kill myself. People say to compare your life to others and you'll that it's not that bad, but the fact that there is loads of problems in the world just makes me want to live in it even less as those people deserve a better life than me cos I'm a t**t. I've just lost all motivation. Last year I was still single, but I was on a good Uni course doing well and chasing after the girl I liked was the biggest motivation in my life, I did it all for her, when I was sad I just kept going cos of the thought I might be with her one day, now there's nothing.
Yes you have every right, depression is a feeling - if you feel it, you feel it. Everybody is different, you have to keep this in mind.
Just because you don't have terrible problems like some people doesn't mean you can't be depressed.
In truth I have a great life - I have very few financial problems, I'm doing well in my degree, I have great friends, yet I still get depressed every now and then. It's something I can't really control.
Reply 2
Original post by ralphieinker90
Last year I was still single, but I was on a good Uni course doing well and chasing after the girl I liked was the biggest motivation in my life, I did it all for her, when I was sad I just kept going cos of the thought I might be with her one day, now there's nothing.

The problem.
Reply 3
You can't help feeling depressed. Only idiots compare their depression to others tbh, if people do that I mean. :nothing:
Reply 4
Original post by Roo Bix
The problem.

Agreed.

I know this is going to sound heartless, but I don't think depression is a medical illness at all, and I don't really buy that excuse from anyone. Everyone gets depressed from time to time, but people deal with depression in different ways.

Maybe the thing to do is take a step back and realise what you have got instead of what you don't have. You said you're from a well-off family, you have friends, you're on a good course at a good university.

People are gonna make mistakes, it's a fact of life. It's how the person deals with the mistakes and how they go about correcting them which makes them a stronger person in the long run.

Stop craving sex or female attention, people who go round chasing girls are usually the ones that end up as creepy 40 year old virgins. If you do your thing, the right person will find you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending