The Student Room Group

Durham or Manchester for Medicine?

Poll

Where do you think i should go?

I need some advice as i'm very confused over what to do. I've had interviews for medicine at Glasgow, Manchester and Durham and although i havent had replies yet i want to get an idea of which one would be my firm or insurance etc. should i get any offers. Glasgow will definitely be my insurance because it is AAB however Durham and Manchester are both AAA and i cant decide which one i would favour over the other if i were lucky enough to get offers from both. Here is how i feel about both:

Durham - Ranked 4th in the country for medicine and i liked the structure of the course more therefore academically i'd say this one is better however i dont like the fact that you have to move over to newcastle after a couple of years to finish the course and when walking around durham it seems like a really small place with very little to do there and i worry that the sort of students it attracts is those that arent too interested in clubbing etc. which is the opposite to me.

Manchester - I liked the course (though not as much as Durham) and i also like the fact that the city is big and lively. The course has more people on it by around 200 extra which i like because i can meet more people etc. I also like the fact that it is so close to a variety of hospitals especially Manchester Children's Hospital because i think paediatrics is something i would love to do.

I doubt i will get offers from both however i want to have a bit more of an idea on which ones i prefer most as i am very confused at the moment so any advice would be greatly appreciated :biggrin: (sorry for this essay)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thought about the course structure? Don't know what Durham does but Manchester is PBL as you probably know anyway :tongue: and rankings count for nothing

Manchester is live :smile:
Durham ofc.
Reply 3
Original post by dmz
Thought about the course structure? Don't know what Durham does but Manchester is PBL as you probably know anyway :tongue: and rankings count for nothing

Manchester is live :smile:

Yeah, Durham is Case-led so its kinda like PBL, i love both of the courses but i do like Durham's more. I'd feel a little guilty if i went for Manchester based on its night life as fundamentaly i should be focusing on the course as that is why i'm going but when i was walking around Durham i saw only one pub and nothing else :s-smilie: i'd go crazy if there was no where good to go out :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ScarletMoon
Durham ofc.

Any reasons? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Durham is nothing like PBL at all! I know the courses differ slightly between Newcastle and Durham, but Newcastle is incredibly, incredibly traditional. At least with respect to other medical schools, imo.
Reply 6
Original post by Med16793
I need some advice as i'm very confused over what to do. I've had interviews for medicine at Glasgow, Manchester and Durham and although i havent had replies yet i want to get an idea of which one would be my firm or insurance etc. should i get any offers. Glasgow will definitely be my insurance because it is AAB however Durham and Manchester are both AAA and i cant decide which one i would favour over the other if i were lucky enough to get offers from both. Here is how i feel about both:

Durham - Ranked 4th in the country for medicine and i liked the structure of the course more therefore academically i'd say this one is better however i dont like the fact that you have to move over to newcastle after a couple of years to finish the course and when walking around durham it seems like a really small place with very little to do there and i worry that the sort of students it attracts is those that arent too interested in clubbing etc. which is the opposite to me.

Manchester - I liked the course (though not as much as Durham) and i also like the fact that the city is big and lively. The course has more people on it by around 200 extra which i like because i can meet more people etc. I also like the fact that it is so close to a variety of hospitals especially Manchester Children's Hospital because i think paediatrics is something i would love to do.

I doubt i will get offers from both however i want to have a bit more of an idea on which ones i prefer most as i am very confused at the moment so any advice would be greatly appreciated :biggrin: (sorry for this essay)

Durham. If you want to club you can go to middlesborough which is not too far from Durham. I dont care for clubbing, if you do though then go Manchester.
Any reasons? :biggrin:

"Located on a dramatic peninsula overlooking the River Wear, Durham’s unique Norman cathedral and castle form a designated World Heritage Site. Against this backdrop visitors can enjoy acres of tranquil woodland and peaceful parkland, as well as the beautiful River Wear as it winds its way through the City. Other attractions include the University’s Botanic Garden and Oriental Museum, and the pleasant parkland course at the nearby Mount Oswald Golf Course. And when it’s time to relax Durham can offer a unique array of excellent cafes, bars and restaurants.

Durham's location in the heart of the North East means great cities and stunning countryside are only a short distance away. Why not visit cosmopolitan Newcastle Upon Tyne or historic York? Or enjoy the splendours of the North Yorkshire Moors or Durham Dales?

Whatever your needs, Event Durham can offer a truly unrivalled setting for an unforgettable event. "
A guy that wants to do paediatrics? Gay.

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by Cheesecakefactory

Spoiler

How did you guess? :smile: any reasons for Durham?
Obviously Manchester! You'll fockin lov it.
Reply 11
Original post by Cheesecakefactory

Spoiler

Gay? Surely that'd be a guy wanting to do urology?

:getmecoat:
Original post by ScarletMoon
"Located on a dramatic peninsula overlooking the River Wear, Durham’s unique Norman cathedral and castle form a designated World Heritage Site. Against this backdrop visitors can enjoy acres of tranquil woodland and peaceful parkland, as well as the beautiful River Wear as it winds its way through the City. Other attractions include the University’s Botanic Garden and Oriental Museum, and the pleasant parkland course at the nearby Mount Oswald Golf Course. And when it’s time to relax Durham can offer a unique array of excellent cafes, bars and restaurants.

Durham's location in the heart of the North East means great cities and stunning countryside are only a short distance away. Why not visit cosmopolitan Newcastle Upon Tyne or historic York? Or enjoy the splendours of the North Yorkshire Moors or Durham Dales?

Whatever your needs, Event Durham can offer a truly unrivalled setting for an unforgettable event. "

All very lovely, but the medical school isn't even in Durham it's in Stockton...

I'd go where you think you'll feel happier from a social point of view. Caring about the course structure is all very well but it really only applies to the first two years - the clinical phases at most medical schools are pretty much the same. Rankings mean nothing - you'll learn what you need to know no matter where you go.

Durham is beautiful but the medical school is in Stockton. In short, pick the place you think you'd rather spend 5+ years of your life.
Reply 14
Just wait until you get the replies from both of them. Then decide.
Original post by Beska
Gay? Surely that'd be a guy wanting to do urology?

:getmecoat:

From my experience, the specialty with the most gay doctors seemed to be sexual health. Urology didn't seem that way at all...
Reply 16
Having had experience of Stockton from half of my family living near there it isn't the nicest of places but like all towns/cities it has its good and bad parts. Just imo Stockton has more bad than good.
Then again, Manchester would be busy as hell etc.
Reply 17
If you liked the course of Durham but you wanted a more lively environment, why didn't you apply to Newcastle?
Reply 18
Original post by Beska
If you liked the course of Durham but you wanted a more lively environment, why didn't you apply to Newcastle?

i havent exactly got the best application so i just chose the one i felt would be easiest to get in to

You do know the Durham course is in Stockton and not Durham, don't you?????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending