The Student Room Group

hows life after uni ?

i am guessing pretty much that after uni its all over. You will basically do a 9 to 5 job which u dont like. finish work and just go to bed because your too tired. this will continure from mon-friday and you get the weekend off.
everyone will be busy. they have to pay their rent etc so no more parties or fun as used to be in uni. bascally a boring life

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
9-5 Mondays to Fridays and party during the weekends!! I was actually in Tiger Tiger last night :smile:
If only you could get that job! Not you in particular, in general. And people still have fun!
Reply 3
Its bloody awful
Reply 4
Original post by IcEmAn911
9-5 Mondays to Fridays and party during the weekends!! I was actually in Tiger Tiger last night :smile:

yeah but do you still have same fun as you had in uni ?
yeh, it sucks.

Going back to do a masters to regain my sanity (and coz i'm having a career change!)
Original post by tigertiger
i am guessing pretty much that after uni its all over. You will basically do a 9 to 5 job which u dont like. finish work and just go to bed because your too tired. this will continure from mon-friday and you get the weekend off.
everyone will be busy. they have to pay their rent etc so no more parties or fun as used to be in uni. bascally a boring life

Not neccessarily, it is more monotonous and more expensive, less spontaneous, finances and activities need planning. 9-5 jobs are hard to get hold of at the moment. I'm pretty happy though, i have a perfectly house-trained boyfriend who cooks and cleans, i work 23 hours a week which is just enough to keep us in food and rent. Plus i have time to pursue hobbies which i didn't have time for at uni.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Go travelling or do a TEFL and see the world. Just avoid working in a **** London job for £18k pro rata, you will end up hating it.
Reply 8
It sounds amazing...

Weekends where you're free to do whatever you want without stressing about deadlines and essays and exams. :drool:
Reply 9
I think a 9-5 would be worth doing if you didn't ever have to take your work home with you in the evenings and weekends.
I can just get on with my hobbies and enjoy life.

As shocking as it may sound to many students - there is FAR more to life than getting pissed every other night.
Reply 10
Well, I don't particularly enjoy what I'm doing at the moment (call centre work) but this is only a stop gap whilst I assess what I want to do which, at this moment in time, is go travelling again and live and work abroad. I don't want to continue my education to masters level and I don't want a "cushy" well paid graduate job doing something I hate. I'm not at all bothered about earning a lot of money if I can do something I enjoy... but at the moment I'm not earning very much money doing something that I don't like but it is just about bearable... just about.
Reply 11
Well I haven't graduated yet but I studied what I liked and the best thing about what I am studying is the range of jobs it offers and there is a short fall currently particularly abroad. So I would like to think that I am going to enjoy my life after I graduate, after all why did you go to uni? to get the job you want.
I have devised a master plan to avoid this-

1) Go to uni and have fun
2) when you graduate, enter the euromillions lottery
3) win loads of cash and never have to work!

Completely foolproof.
Reply 13
Original post by bluesky42
It sounds amazing...

Weekends where you're free to do whatever you want without stressing about deadlines and essays and exams. :drool:

i am sure there are deadlines for work too. lol sorry to burst your bubble
Reply 14
It sounds amazing...

This, absolutely this. I've done a load of 9-5 summer jobs and internships and, believe me, having properly structured free time is bliss along with actually having enough money to enjoy it.

You think you have all the free time in the world at university, but believe me, you don't - it's an illusion, and it's not proper "free time" if you've got something you should/could be doing. You've always got something to work on, something to read, something to prepare for, and no properly structured day in which to do it. At work, 5pm hits and you walk away and leave it all behind you until the following day, although there are a few exceptions to this.
(edited 13 years ago)

How'd you come to these conclusions? Everyone has periods where they don't like their jobs, that's normal, but on the whole it shouldn't be that bad.

You just need time management to have fun after work I've found.
Good question....

*watches thread* :ninja:
Work 9-5 and go out at the weekends. I have loads more money than I did when I was a student and have a structured day. It's the perfect life for me at the moment really :smile:
Reply 18
i am sure there are deadlines for work too. lol sorry to burst your bubble

I'm sure there are. I was referring to the typical 9-5 job where you can leave your work behind you and come home to free evenings and weekends. No "homework" is kind of what I meant.
It sounds amazing...

you're only just applying to uni now? so how can you answer without knowing uni life?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending