The Student Room Group

Treating me like a child..

Basically....im 21 and been in a relationship with my boyfriend for just over 6 months, we've known each other for 4 years.

My mum won't let us sleep in the same bed when he comes to visit, and she won't give me a reason as to why. I have younger siblings who are 15 and 16, but she said that it doesn't have anything to do with them or their age. What is the big deal?

She's always treated me like a child and I'm sick of it. This has really topped it for me, I told her that we would never have sex in the house at night, I just want to go to sleep in the bed with my boyfriend.

Anyone have the same issue?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel sorry for you im pretty lucky i was with my bf for 6months and he was allowed to stay i no its nice to just sleep together i like it too. I think the worse bit is the no explanation your 21!! you deserve an explanation this isnt fair at all =(
Reply 2
As bad as it is, whilst you are in your mothers house you must respect her wishes. If she doesn't want you two to share a bed, then you have two choices. 1. Don't live there or 2. Respect her wishes.
My parents were the same- it's their house so I guess you have to respect their wishes.
Reply 4
If I could move out, trust me I would, but I don't have the money to do it. Yeah I have to respect her wishes, just so I get to see him. His parents don't mind at all :/

Thankyou Amy - Leigh, its nice to have some sympathy and people that agree with me, I'm going insane at the moment lol
Reply 5
Original post by Desire101
If I could move out, trust me I would, but I don't have the money to do it. Yeah I have to respect her wishes, just so I get to see him. His parents don't mind at all :/

Thankyou Amy - Leigh, its nice to have some sympathy and people that agree with me, I'm going insane at the moment lol

It's not about not agreeing with you but rather than you have to respect the wishes of your mother whilst in her house.
Reply 6
Lol I didn't mean it like that.
Yeah I know what you're saying, but I wish I knew the reason why first.

I meant that its nice to have people on my side, because otherwise I feel alone in this.
Reply 7
Maybe she's embarrased that your lack of skills in bed will bring dishonour to the family.
Reply 8
Respect you're parents wishes under their roof. You may find that they will pay the same respect to you and let you do what you "sleep" with you BF because she trusts you.

I am 21 and my parents would let me sleep with my GF in my room, but i simply choose not to, because i respect them. It is slightly wrong for me to have a girl in my room, (doing inevitably what lovers do) in my parents home.

Just be patient, im sure your mum will come around
Reply 9
do you think it would make the situation any better if your boyfriend spoke with her about it? Depends on how set in stone on the issue she is but him maturely assuring her nothing will happen may help...you can leave it for when you stay at his.
Reply 10
Original post by The Troll

Original post by The Troll
Maybe she's embarrased that your lack of skills in bed will bring dishonour to the family.

Do you have fun ripping into other people's misery?
That really helps...thanks!
Reply 11
When I was younger my ex used to sleep over all the time, but once they found out we were having sex it was stopped. My family don't really like my current partner and also worry that my little sister will want to copy if my partner sleeps over so he has only officially been allowed to sleep over once; when my sister was away from home. I'm hoping when my sister goes to uni in September he'll be able to come over and hopefully sleep over more, but I very well may be in my own place by then. Ultimately, it's my parents home and I accept that their decision is final, even if I do think they're being unreasonable.
Reply 12
Original post by LewDacris

Original post by LewDacris
Respect you're parents wishes under their roof. You may find that they will pay the same respect to you and let you do what you "sleep" with you BF because she trusts you.

I am 21 and my parents would let me sleep with my GF in my room, but i simply choose not to, because i respect them. It is slightly wrong for me to have a girl in my room, (doing inevitably what lovers do) in my parents home.

Just be patient, im sure your mum will come around

I agree with you in some way. We would never have sex in the house, I think thats wrong, especially with my younger siblings around. I have told her this too, all I want to do is sleep in the bed with my boyfriend :/
If his parents are fine with it why don't you just stay at their house? There isn't really anything else you can do, it's your mum's house. I would want to know the reason behind it though, I could understand if you were 15 but you're 21! She must know that you're sensible enough to not get pregnant...
Reply 14
Original post by -honeybee-

If his parents are fine with it why don't you just stay at their house? There isn't really anything else you can do, it's your mum's house. I would want to know the reason behind it though, I could understand if you were 15 but you're 21! She must know that you're sensible enough to not get pregnant...

Exactly. I don't live there at the moment, I am at uni and live with my boyfriend and another housemate, have done for 2 years. My parents have met him on numerous occasions and we have stayed at my mums house once, but there was a lot of people over so we had to sleep on the sofa. But now uni is coming to an end and I'll be moving home, not only will it be hard enough without him most of the time, but now this... :frown:
Do you have fun ripping into other people's misery?
That really helps...thanks!

Stop being over dramatic. If not sleeping in the same bed as your boyfriend is misery, then I dread to think how you're going to cope when an actual problem occurs in your life. :rolleyes:
Reply 16

Original post by CB91
Stop being over dramatic. If not sleeping in the same bed as your boyfriend is misery, then I dread to think how you're going to cope when an actual problem occurs in your life. :rolleyes:

Seriously why are you here? To me..right at this moment in life, this is a problem. I know people have bigger problems, but for once in my life I am thinking about ME. You don't know what I've been through in my life, everyone deals with things differently, and once I move back from uni, not being with him will be extremely hard. Sleeping in the bed with him will be the only time I get alone time with him to cuddle or talk...there is no privacy in my house. So that is why its a problem at the moment. Either help or leave.
Exactly. I don't live there at the moment, I am at uni and live with my boyfriend and another housemate, have done for 2 years. My parents have met him on numerous occasions and we have stayed at my mums house once, but there was a lot of people over so we had to sleep on the sofa. But now uni is coming to an end and I'll be moving home, not only will it be hard enough without him most of the time, but now this... :frown:

I guess you'll just have to use it as motivation to get your own place. Are you close? Maybe you could try talking to her again. It depends on what she's like though, she may never agree to it. What does your dad think?
Reply 18

Its ok I agree you should respect people's wishes but when that person doesn't give you an explanation when your 21 years old then you cant be 100% respectfull to them xxxx good luck and just move in to his house ;P xx
Reply 19

I guess you'll just have to use it as motivation to get your own place. Are you close? Maybe you could try talking to her again. It depends on what she's like though, she may never agree to it. What does your dad think?

Yeah I guess so. I'd like to think we are close, but...its hard to explain. She seems to think I'm being selfish, and always tells me that I only ever think about myself. I know in myself this is not true, as I couldn't be more unselfish, and its so obvious as well, my boyfriend tells me not to listen to her. My dad just agrees with everything my Mum says.... :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending