The Student Room Group

Cheating consequences

Hi,

Does anyone know the consequences of getting caught copying up a pre-prepared essay in a language controlled assessment?

My friend is waiting to hear back from the exam board, she was caught copying up a an essay that she hid in her dictionary in her German exam and is really worried. They say the four options are:
1. That exam mark does not stand
2. That unit of work does not stand
3. You are failed in the subject
4. You get failed in all of your G.C.S.E exams!

Any past experience or knowledge would really help comfort (I hope) her....

Thanks
Reply 1
Shouldn't have done it, it's pretty serious so in the least she will be failed in the subject with possible disqualification from all exams with that exam board. That will teach them.
Reply 2
Original post by tateco
Shouldn't have done it, it's pretty serious so in the least she will be failed in the subject with possible disqualification from all exams with that exam board. That will teach them.

Wow, that seems really harsh but I guess that it is a suitable punishment for cheating.

I've never really understood what happens if you are disqualified from all exams - it has never happened to anyone I know. Do you just not get any G.C.S.Es? How would that work for applying to sixth form and university? I suppose you would re-take all your exams the next year?

I guess that there's not much I can say to comfort her, still, they don't actually disqualify anyone from all the exams do they? It seems to have been more of a threat to anyone else I know that has gotten caught. Perhaps it's for for cheating more than once....
Reply 3
Most likely number 4 i would say, it seems harsh but this is probably the worst kind of cheating, so yeah probably 4, she shouldnt have done it, simple as. They told us this back when i started my GCSE's, get caught and all are taken away from you.
Reply 4
My friend did something identical but in a French Exam and the marks from that unit didn't stand!!

So got a U in the controlled assessment bit.
Reply 5
Original post by brigden2009
My friend did something identical but in a French Exam and the marks from that unit didn't stand!!

Yeah, that's more what I would have expected. It seems that for all the talk of greater consequences the actually punishment is a lot less. It makes you wonder what you have to do to get disqualified from all exams...

Do you think they follow a standard procedure or take it case by case? I don't want to tell her about this case if they could give her worse. Surely she could appeal if she got worse than someone in the same position?
Depends on the exam board - some are harsher than others, which tbh I think is fair - everyone gets told so much about cheating, and people still do it :facepalm:
Reply 7
Original post by brigden2009

How many marks is there in a unit, for example in a science exam?
Original post by Shobz911

This thread was made in 2011, and the person you quoted has not been active since 2014. If you have a question, I suggest making your own thread in the appropriate forum in order to get faster and more accurate responses. In future please check thread dates to avoid bumping old threads.
Original post by Shobz911

It has come to my attention that you have posted on the 'Cheating Consequences' forum. As a result, you may be disqualified from all Edexcel GCSE examinations
^^ is edexcelofficial a troll
i did this my self and i got disqualified from all the subjects thet id did on the exam board german' history and geography
Original post by bluemuffin
^^ is edexcelofficial a troll

yes. The misleading username is enough for them to get banned, probably.
Original post by _gcx
yes. The misleading username is enough for them to get banned, probably.

Oh ok thanks I was getting worried 😂
Original post by james57301
i did this my self and i got disqualified from all the subjects thet id did on the exam board german' history and geography

Did you use a note sheet to copy the answers
You'll be put on the secret blacklist. The'll pretend like its ok so that when nothing in your life goes right from now on you wont know who to blame.
Original post by Top Hats
Hi,

Does anyone know the consequences of getting caught copying up a pre-prepared essay in a language controlled assessment?

My friend is waiting to hear back from the exam board, she was caught copying up a an essay that she hid in her dictionary in her German exam and is really worried. They say the four options are:
1. That exam mark does not stand
2. That unit of work does not stand
3. You are failed in the subject
4. You get failed in all of your G.C.S.E exams!

Any past experience or knowledge would really help comfort (I hope) her....

Thanks

hi can i ask what happened

Latest