The Student Room Group

Shy people did you go through some kind of abuse or bullying

Scroll to see replies

Im the opposite
I was picked on and bullied, so they remain popular I would have to play the class joker. Saying or doing things no one else would

Till this day I cant help be cheeky or play jokes
Bullied for being shy, led to social anxiety and depression. When I meet people I show a different side of myself to them, which I think a lot of people do eg you wouldn't talk about personal things to classmates but you would with your best friend. I just do it to more extremes, like I have different versions of me.
It's hard for me to meet new people an make friends. I feel like I'm not good enough and have nothing to say that's valid. It's been years but I'm still struggling to get over bullying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say that my psychologically abusive upbringing both at home and school has made it difficult to be attractive to women. Also I have found that I have not been able to fit in at work which has narrowed my job options going forward.
I was fine through primary school but constantly got picked on at high school, I struggled to stand up for myself until the final year or so. Thankfully now, I'm at a really good college and people are so much nicer to me, as I am to them, I can feel myself getting much more confident and doing better in exams.
Throughout secondary school i was often sniggered at and alienated/spoke about. I think it was because i was introverted, didnt really belong in a particular group and was therefore an easy target. Although i think that childish behaviour probably isnt so prevalent as you get older. Its more of a petty school playground thing.
No, not really. I'm fairly sure it was because I randomly blushed at School one day and then after that, my confidence was never the same really :/ also it was probably because I should of gone out more when I was younger...ah well, can't change the past.
Tbh, not really. Most encounters I've had were people trying to help me get over it. I am the one holding myself back :s-smilie:
My twin sister is incredibly extroverted and good at sparking conversation, whereas I tend to stay quiet around people I don't know. We had practically the same childhood, so I don't suppose that's a major factor in this case. She spoke for both of us, though - her taking up a lot of space might have caused my introversion, or it might not have. Really, all you can do is speculate.
Some people it will be enviromental factors such as abuse which makes them shy/want to withdraw.

Others, it is their natural personality traits
Oh yeah. I suffered social anxiety and depression issues from age 14 to now at 24. I've learned to cope with them better but i still get tons of anxiety even when people show me they like me and it's especially the worst with girls. I got bullied both at school and at home. I still don't trust people and i expect them to let me down.

It's taken me nearly all of 10 years to get over it but i'm getting there slowly.I'm still introverted though and virtually invisible.
Well, I was bullied throughout primary school which made me pretty self conscious, so yeah, I guess that's what made me quieter around people, and especially awkward around people I don't know well.

I used to be outgoing, bubbly and happy all the time but that kind of diminished..
When I first started school I was if anything one of the most hyper and naughty kids at school. However by year two this changed and I started getting bullied. After being repeatedly bullied by one individual and a rather serious incident involving some older kids I was afraid of older children and adults for a while. I also became more reserved talking to fewer and fewer people, until it was the people who didn't bully me (aka two people in the class). From then I was seen as the nerdy, quiet kid who's surname rhymed with gay. My final year was okay because I had to repeat the final year due to being placed in a class a year higher than I should of and the main culprits going off to secondary school.

It continued slightly in year 6... but the vast majority had left, remarkably when I went to secondary school it stopped completely. This all left a weird situation where I was extremely confident around people I knew and seen as one of the most confident people in my friendship group. But when around strangers, especially those older than me, I was always extremely quiet. When I have a drink however my true naughty self still comes out and no-one thinks I'm shy in the slightest!

Now I'm 24 and I'm suppose to 'adult' I still get situations where I'm rather shy.... usually I have to look at myself and think "why am I being so silly" and then I usually get over it... just my face will go really red :lol:
Reply 52
I was really shy throughout high school but I was never really conscious during middle school, well that's a lie I used to get really red sometimes, but I had close friends (with both smart and athletic people) sat next to girls and got numbers etc, I had a few 'friends' in high school but it was never the same I guess? I've always been an unstable mix of anxious and confident, quiet and loud, stupid and smart, athletic and skinny. I don't remember being bullied but I was very shy for a few years, I worry I will slip back into it sometimes, because character is everything, and without confidence who am I?
I guess for me just as someone else said I'm quiet around people I don't not know however when I'm around my mates I'm not too shy haha. Also I do get shy around girls at times but I'm working on it. Before I used to be quite bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not so much anymore, but I was incredibly shy and introverted. Looking back, I had some severe anxiety issues which gave me panic attacks before any kind of situation, especially social. It was really the anxiety that made me shy.
What caused the anxiety? Idk, maybe I was born with it?
My childhood was mostly good, but I got ignored a **** tonne by my family, yelled at for being anxious, and genuinely spent my childhood wishing I was dead because I truly believed thats all anyone wanted. I have no idea whether the anxiety/depression I had came first and led to the thoughts leading to the shyness, or if the interaction led to the thoughts to the anxiety/depression and then to being shy.
I'm still introverted now. If I've been out all day, I'll come home and sit alone all night because I enjoy being by myself a lot.
There's a difference between shyness and introversion, though. Shy was not being able to talk to people. Introverted is being able to talk to people, just not always wanting to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply 55
I think I'm shy because my dad is too and my family's quite introverted, I've been shy for as long as I can
remember. I used to cling to my dad's leg when he dropped me off at nursery lol.

It used to bother me, but I've "grown into my self" over time and I'm pretty comfortable with me self nowadays. You just learn your limitations and what you're relaxed doing.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've always been really shy and quiet, but growing up I went through a period of sexual abuse and bullying and I ended up a lot more shy and quiet :redface:.
I was bullied a lot about how I look and as a girl I think it really made me very conscious around boys and so I don't try to draw attention to myself very much. This includes how I dress or how I do my makeup.

I was also sexually assaulted by two family members and that has made me very awkward and silent when I am with an older man alone or sometimes several older men. This is particularly bad at school, for example, if I ever have to go ask a male teacher for help I try take one of my friends or make it as short as possible.

With girls my age I am fine and confident but I don't go out clubbing yet or try to dress in a sexy way at all because I am scared of attracting more attention to myself than there already is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending