The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steerforth
You clearly do not understand the difference between revenue and profit. Obviously it pays staff, but with no shareholders it does not aim to make a profit, and any excess cash is does have left over will be ploughed back into the business, reducing prices for future exam takers.

So before you start moaning about how **** AQA is, at least do a little research.

I stopped the moaning, and asked a simple question. No need to act like a prick.
who agrees that the june 2010 was much easier?! :'(
Reply 1322
Original post by LaMode0914
SOMEONE POST THE BLODDY MARK SCHEME!! I'M GOING OUT OF MY MIND HERE!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but I''ve failed this paper just because AQA are nobs! Such stupid 1 markers trying to catch you out!!

i know how you feel ma head going mad for the mark scheme
Original post by TlanTlan
I said a vaccine would be counterproductive as it could lead to death by cardiac disease due to the immune systems cells being provoked to attack the heart muscle cells which have a similarly shaped antigen to the one on the chlamydia bacteria.

thats along the same lines as what i wrote! :biggrin:
hopefully it will get the marks now
Original post by RoadRunner
What did people put for the time atria ventricular valves were closed ?? And why ??

i said that ventricluar pressure was higher thatn atrial pressure so the valves close to stop backflow of blood.

what was the last question like the wording? i wrote nothing about microvilli and blood supply, i wrote about co transport and sodium potassium pump and carrier proteins and stuff cos it said how is glucose absorbed?
Original post by SpecialApple
I went in like :smartass: cos I'd revised LOADS and this was my re-sit.. and came out like::shock:
Maybe I'm just **** at life haha xD How did you think it went?!

SAME! I was like "lets do this..."
at the end: well that was a disaster.
June 2010 was much easier? Please agree!
The calculations were very difficult and lost all 3 marks there. Nothing written about carrier proteins for the last one, just villi and microvilli. nothing about mitochondria :'( forgot that.
Also forgot that the vaccine can attack the heart muscle thingi :'(
Haha, someone posted this on the AQA wiki entry:

They love to create vague exam questions and have dodgy mark schemes, they are a half-arsed examining body. Knob heads.
Reply 1327
Original post by lemar

Original post by lemar
do you think the could push the grade boundaries to 50/60 to get an A

No they wouldn't do that, because people won't have done aswell for the grade boundary to go up that high.
I like how everyone wanted an easy paper last night but now they want it to be considered harder than June 2010 :tongue:
Reply 1329
Original post by marijuana
Ive looked at the past 5 bio unit 1 grade boundaries and the highest for an A ive seen is 45/60 and lowest being 37/60. Rest of them ranging in the low 40s. Im predicting a boundary between 40-45/60, with 100 UMS being probably 48-53/60

i want it to be as low as possible
oh i'm so stressed over this exam, can anyone clarify if my answers are right?

fistly i know i messed up on the heart, and ALL the calculation questions...

1. for the emphysema i wrote about
- thicker alveoli walls, so longer diffusion pathway
- not much elastin so lungs can't expell air easily, making it harder to inhale air and therefore less diffusion.
- small surface area due to thicker alveoli walls

2. for the first and secon question i got hydrolysis and glucose

3. for the phagocyte question i got:
- phagocyte attracted to pathogen
- phagogcyte attatches and engulfs the pathogen
- vesicle forme
- lysocomes produce lytic enzymes to break down the pathogen
- absorbed into cytoplasm

4. for the pH question to maintain it i put that you should use a buffer solution

5. for the last questoon on absorbtion i totally freaked out, but i put
- microvilli increases surface area
- Contain mitochondria so there is ATP for active transport
(i hardly got any points for that last one :frown: )

6. for the lactose intoleance : water potention in the lumen is lower so osmosis occurs causing diarrhoea :/

im stressed!
Original post by ??????????????????
I like how everyone wanted an easy paper last night but now they want it to be considered harder than June 2010 :tongue:

Looking back at the exam paper, it was easier than most. But its just contained too many vague questions.
Is there gonna be someone whos gonna post the answers???

and what are people guessing the grade boundaries to be?
Original post by Wick3d
Haha, someone posted this on the AQA wiki entry:

LOL
Reply 1334
Original post by aaron1989
hi what did you guys put for galactose interfering with the hydrolysis of lactose?, something about enzyme inhibition

I put the that the galactose was the competitive inhibitor and it would bind to the enzymes active site but not form an enzyme substrate complex. It's not a permanent fixture so eventually detatches etc so the reaction is slowed down.
Maybe that's not right!...:confused:
Original post by xkate1019x
oh i'm so stressed over this exam, can anyone clarify if my answers are right?

fistly i know i messed up on the heart, and ALL the calculation questions...

1. for the emphysema i wrote about
- thicker alveoli walls, so longer diffusion pathway
- not much elastin so lungs can't expell air easily, making it harder to inhale air and therefore less diffusion.
- small surface area due to thicker alveoli walls

2. for the first and secon question i got hydrolysis and glucose

3. for the phagocyte question i got:
- phagocyte attracted to pathogen
- phagogcyte attatches and engulfs the pathogen
- vesicle forme
- lysocomes produce lytic enzymes to break down the pathogen
- absorbed into cytoplasm

4. for the pH question to maintain it i put that you should use a buffer solution

5. for the last questoon on absorbtion i totally freaked out, but i put
- microvilli increases surface area
- Contain mitochondria so there is ATP for active transport
(i hardly got any points for that last one :frown: )

6. for the lactose intoleance : water potention in the lumen is lower so osmosis occurs causing diarrhoea :/

im stressed!

Yes i got all of that :smile: That's right.
Original post by TlanTlan
I said a vaccine would be counterproductive as it could lead to death by cardiac disease due to the immune systems cells being provoked to attack the heart muscle cells which have a similarly shaped antigen to the one on the chlamydia bacteria.

In the passage it mentioned the protein was similar to the mouse heart muscle protein. It did not mention human response. I can't see this getting full marks. Possibly one though.
Original post by LaMode0914
SOMEONE POST THE BLODDY MARK SCHEME!! I'M GOING OUT OF MY MIND HERE!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but I''ve failed this paper just because AQA are nobs! Such stupid 1 markers trying to catch you out!!

NOT HAVING A GO HERE but their objective is not the 'catch you out'. Their objective is to differentiate the candidates who have done proper hardcore revision and know all the info and how to apply it from the candidates who just skimmed over the subjects. In all honesty though, I have for suuuure failed this!
Original post by Wick3d
Looking back at the exam paper, it was easier than most. But its just contained too many vague questions.

I'm not sure where but my sister's friend had a really big mess up of an exam and nearly everyone did so they discounted the question or something? Was either Jan or Jun 2010. Maybe 2009 probably 2010.

EDIT: January 2010
EDIT2: Was unit 4 :/
what did everyone write for the atheroma question? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending