The Student Room Group

Calling in sick at work... help?

Basically, at quater past two, I phoned in sick at work with D&V.

My shift starts at 6 o clock. The company handbook says I need to give two hours notice if I phone in sick.

My manager has told me, take some diacalm and just come in to work. I work for a large pub chain, so I obviously will be handling peoples food and drink.

They can't make me go in to work, can they?

I quote, "you've left us in the **** (lolpun) here, you are going to have to take some diacalm and come in because there's no way anyone will cover your shift".

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
that sucks. Dunno but if they cant get anyone they might sack u for not turning up although have to be a real tosser too do that
Reply 2
Erm...if you're working in the food industry my best guess is no.

Touching peoples food when you have D&V?
Gross for the people that are gonna eat it (and then get sick themselves....) :s-smilie:

Plus is pretty unfair to make you work if you feel like **** (lol)
Reply 3
Original post by Athena21
Erm...if you're working in the food industry my best guess is no.

Touching peoples food when you have D&V?
Gross for the people that are gonna eat it (and then get sick themselves....) :s-smilie:

Plus is pretty unfair to make you work if you feel like **** (lol)

that was such a **** joke... taxi!

yeah, it's pretty damn disgusting and I'm 99.99 % sure its illegal.
you shouldn't go in.. but i'm guessing you could have phoned in earlier unless you suddenly got it, i know it's not right if they state 2 hours, but they may see it this way
by the way i just wouldn't go in, will they sack you if you don't go in?
Do they know that if you touch the food it can get infected, the customers can get food poisoning and thus, your manager can get sued?
Reply 7
Original post by xbutterflyx
you shouldn't go in.. but i'm guessing you could have phoned in earlier unless you suddenly got it, i know it's not right if they state 2 hours, but they may see it this way

I've worked there for a year and a month and i have never once called in sick.

I tried to leave it as long as i could, i think ~4hours notice is pretty resonable..?
Reply 8
Original post by tommydeaks
that was such a **** joke... taxi!

:frown:

But seriously though, not only is making you go to work and infect customers illegal, but actually giving you medical advice over the phone? WTF :confused:
Sue her for that if nothing else!
Reply 9
Don't go in, you're entitled to take sick days - if they sack you you can take legal action. Especially considering you told them within the time period they set you and you are ill.
Reply 10
Original post by Vixen47
Do they know that if you touch the food it can get infected, the customers can get food poisoning and thus, your manager can get sued?

True. It makes m wonder why he would tell me to come in anyway if he knows this.
Reply 11
Get yourself to a doctor, get a doctors note and submit it. They have no legal leg to stand on if they sack you after that as:

a) you gave the required notice,
b) the company is meant to comply with food safety laws
c) you'll have documentary evidence from a qualified professional to say you weren't fit for work.

If they sack you after that, you can take it further through HR and kick up a real big fuss.

Your manager is either quite stressed out, which isn't your fault, or is being lazy and can't pick up the slack of one individual being unable to pull pints or serve tables (or whatever), and in such case is a prick. Certainly don't let them intimidate you or bully you whatsoever.

This is precisely the reason your manager is probably earning an extra 5k or whatever than normal staff - to deal with these problems.

Get well soon.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Athena21
:frown:

But seriously though, not only is making you go to work and infect customers illegal, but actually giving you medical advice over the phone? WTF :confused:
Sue her for that if nothing else!

:biggrin:

It's pathetic. They won't even give me less hours during exam time - their daughter does, as she is also an A level student and works there.

Considering just saying, er, shove your job. But I need the money.
Reply 13
Original post by ManicManc
Get yourself to a doctor, get a doctors note and submit it. They have no legal leg to stand on if they sack you after that as:

c) you'll have documentary evidence from a qualified professional to say you weren't fit for work.

If they sack you after that, you can take it further through HR and kick up a real big fuss.

Your manager is either quite stressed out, which isn't your fault, or is being lazy and can't pick up the slack of one individual being unable to pull pints or serve tables (or whatever), and in such case is a prick. Certainly don't let them intimidate you or bully you whatsoever.

This is precisely the reason your manager is probably earning an extra 5k or whatever than normal staff - to deal with these problems.

Get well soon.

Cheers mate.

I was considering calling the area manager and asking his advice - he is a nice guy.
Original post by tommydeaks
True. It makes m wonder why he would tell me to come in anyway if he knows this.

Maybe he doesn't know??
It's not just people that work with food who aren't allowed to go in if they've got D&V - teachers, office workers etc. too!
Reply 15
Original post by ManicManc

Get well soon.

Most GPs don't give out sick notes unless you've already had a week off.
I wouldn't even bother going in. If you want to be really safe you can ask for a Drs note but that's even if a Dr wanted to issue you one.

Don't go into work, you'll feel terrible and imagine how bad it'd look if you were carrying a punter's dinner and you had to rush off to expel yourself at both ends.

My bf was forced to come into work for a 14 hours shift (at a dental surgery) with a v bad chest infection and flu like symptoms) let's just say she was lucky I couldn't wing myself any time off otherwise I would have decked the bitch. Poor guy looked dreadful :mad:
Reply 17
Original post by TheNod
Most GPs don't give out sick notes unless you've already had a week off.

Pretty sure if you went in and said 'I'm in trouble with work because I had to take some sick leave at short notice but I'm genuinely ill with.... could I please have a short letter or note just to say that I was too unwell to come in?' that most doctors would do it with no real questions.

That's how it has been from my experience, and many others that I know have had the same treatment... :smile:
Is he not breaking the law at all? I ring in ill with vomiting among other things, not sure if it was food poisoning or just a sudden illness but my manager just said to not come in until I felt totally well again, and maybe one more day after that. Because I handle food and someone have something like that is too risky I think.
Reply 19
your ill stay at home. sounds a bit like bullying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending