The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants for 2012 entry (& Offers - for when they're given!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peanutbutterlove
well i have AABBB already, and i've been predicted ABBC :/ the thing i'm worried about is that i don't have maths or physics which is fine for dundee but for other places they want one of them :P

I guess you should emal unies to ask if they would require Maths or Physics.
So, have you already graduated college and now taking a gap year?
Reply 181
Original post by Danjela
do u think they would let you on to the course if u dnt have gcse english at a c
and Quoting my tutor ''universities are going to find it hard to fill places on courses cause of the new fees'' if this statment is true would they?

Normally on the entry requirements they specify a grade c in english and maths so it's worth checking when you apply. I think even if they don't specifically ask for a c you'd be at a great disadvantage against those who do, so i'd resit. It also means you're more employable after as they're likely to ask for it.
Original post by young_architect
I guess you should emal unies to ask if they would require Maths or Physics.
So, have you already graduated college and now taking a gap year?

yeah i've been doing that, Dundee don't need either which is good :biggrin:
no, i wish! i'm doing my final year of school now :smile:
Reply 183
So when is everyone submitting their applications?
Original post by Meh_

I was thinking end of October/start of November, I wanna get it in as soon as but not rush it 'cos i'm scared i'll change my mind :L!

What about you? Have you written your personal statement yet?
Reply 185
Original post by Meh_

Mines going in Monday, but Im applying to Cambridge so its not early as such in regards to their own application deadline.
Reply 186
Original post by peanutbutterlove
I was thinking end of October/start of November, I wanna get it in as soon as but not rush it 'cos i'm scared i'll change my mind :L!

What about you? Have you written your personal statement yet?

Yep just finished my ps, but I'm a bit scared that Baths and Cambridge will reject me straight away cos apparently it comes across as too 'arty farty' according to my teacher. :redface:
I'm planning to send off the application next week, feeling strangely excited:cool:
So where are you applying to?
Original post by Meh_
Yep just finished my ps, but I'm a bit scared that Baths and Cambridge will reject me straight away cos apparently it comes across as too 'arty farty' according to my teacher. :redface:
I'm planning to send off the application next week, feeling strangely excited:cool:
So where are you applying to?

Cambridge, that's fancy!
I must say, i'm quite jealous! Not even started my ps :frown:
GSA, Dundee, Strathclyde, and Edinburgh I think ? Yourself :smile: ?
ok guys, Im doing Photography, IT, and Biology. Do i have the complete wrong A-Levels to change my mind, and do Architecture?
Original post by charlie_perkins
ok guys, Im doing Photography, IT, and Biology. Do i have the complete wrong A-Levels to change my mind, and do Architecture?

Not necessarily, people do get on good courses with strange subjects. You'll find it much more difficult though, especially nowadays. If your portfolio focus is photography you won't get very far, you'll need to put time into doing fine arty type stuff. Maybe consider a foundation year.
Yeah, in general if you have the option to take an Art subject your best off doing this since most uni's are focused on Art as an entry requirement, either as a qualification or as a portfolio. To not do it is really limiting the uni's that will take you as doing a portfolio without having much previous training/experience in an Art or Design subject is not the easiest thing to do and will often show through against those that have been trained. As I have said before I don't see why they focus so heavily on Art and Portfolios since you can easily do Architecture without it as Architecture is more Design based than Art Based so if you are good with a pencil and ruler this is more handy once you are on the course. Also, there is often no telling who has done the portfolio so I don't know why they use it, it makes it unreliable as an entry criteria, but I guess they don't know what else to go on and nearly every other uni does it so they do to. Would be better to ask candidates to come along and design something on the day then at least they would know it was their work. Anyway, that's just how it is if you want to get on an Architecture course but I would'nt bother if you are having to pay 9K to do it as with the levels of unemployment out there at the moment mean that even many of the students that work real hard are on a hiding to nothing.
Reply 191
Any other overseas applicants for Part 2? I'm finding the process very frusterating. Many of the schools I've spoken to say that in-person interviews are required and that telephone/skype/etc. are not an option. Yet, they all want to do interviews on certain days (different from school to school). I have to go to London in (probably) December to sit my RIBA Part 1 exam, so I've suggested going for interviews then as I'm already in the UK, yet they don't want to do that because they don't want to process applications until I pass the exam (ie. they don't want to waste time interviewing me in case I fail). Obviously, I can't go back and forth between Canada and UK to attend several interviews. Gahhhhhhhhh. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Has anyone applied yet? Any answers? Also, do you know if Manchester has started sending off the drawing task?
Reply 193
Original post by singsongballadsmiles

Original post by singsongballadsmiles
I'm applying to UCL, Cambridge, Sheffield, Cardiff and Bath. I guess the fact that I've been doing art means yes! Otherwise, still need to catch up on a few things to include :biggrin:

what are you predicted?
does anyone know what "sketches at a city scale" might mean?
Reply 195
My referee has sent my UCAS form now, I am applying to Sheff Hall, Not Trent, Portsmouth, DMU and Leeds Met, how long do you normally wait for a response??
does it really matter that the course at edingburgh is not yet validated by the RIBA
Reply 197
Original post by luckycharm
does it really matter that the course at edingburgh is not yet validated by the RIBA

According to the ARB website, Edinburgh provides exemption to the RIBA Part 1 and Part 2 exams.

http://www.arb.org.uk/qualifications/schools_and_institutions_of_architecture/part_1/edinburgh/default.php

http://www.arb.org.uk/qualifications/schools_and_institutions_of_architecture/part_2/edinburgh/default.php
Hei, has anybody heard anything from UCL yet?
They start after the first Ucas Deadline! you'll probably hear from them by the end of October, if they like your application they'll send you a life drawing test and essay to do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending