The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants for 2012 entry (& Offers - for when they're given!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by gqie
Am kinda stuck between Sheffield and Bath for my firm. Any recommendations?

bath!
Reply 1781
Stuck between Nottingham and Manchester as firm choice? Any oppinions followed by reasons?
:s-smilie:
Original post by Pavol
Hi,

I have applied for Edinburgh, Dundee, Strathclyde and GSA for architecture this year. On the ~24th of feb EDI send me a message regarding my applicatiopn, that, unfortunately, I did not meet their minimum requirments (AAAA - BBBB at Higher - I got AAAAB in relevant subjects) and therefore they cannot consider me. This felt rather strange so I phoned them but they said I have to email to them, however I still didnt get any reply. Does anyone know what happened there?:confused:

So far, I got an offer from Dundee after an interview, sent portfolio to strahclyde on 20th of feb (but no reply since) and have not heard from GSA at all

Idk if they are just taking their time or they decided (especially GSA) not even to say anything...

Same with me: Applied to Edinburgh, Strathclyde, GSA and Bath (and Cardiff, but recieved my rejection early February); wrote an e-mail to Edinburgh (I am from Bulgaria and my GPA is 6.00, which is equivalent to A in all courses, and which should mean that I meet the minimum entry requirements), but recieved no reply.
And I still haven't heard anything from GSA and Strathclyde (I've sent my portfolio in January).
Bath requested me to send a certificate for two exams I have taken, but still haven't heard anything from then.

(And I am secretly jealous of all those who already have their offers:colone:)
Original post by gqie
Am kinda stuck between Sheffield and Bath for my firm. Any recommendations?

Well its up to whether what type of course suits you? Do you want a very technical or a mixture of both technical and creative course ?. Bath is a very technical and they don't even ask for a portfolio of your creativity work, theyre only concerned about u getting A*aa while Sheffield is a mixture of both tecnical and creativity. So it's up to you really, depends on what how you learn and what curriculum would suit you.

But I would personally choose Sheffield cause you get that element if creativity, fun yet there's also technical elements. Architecture should be fun
Reply 1784
Original post by ginacourteener
I'm stuck too between Liverpool and Newcastle!!!!!
Liverpool has a lovely studio, but the lecturers at Newcastle seem really enthusiastic (I was there on Wednesday!) and they really give you a massive insight into the course! :smile:

Thanks for the reply!

I'm leaning more towards Newcastle for now! still waiting a reply from Liverpool though. haha
I was reading through the comments for Newcastle and it seems like the environment there is pretty popular among students.

ranking wise its kinda the same isnt it?

I'm an overseas student so its kinda a disadvantage for me not being able to go for open day and stuff. :/
Anyone going to Bath offer day this Wednesday?
Original post by beinre
Thanks for the reply!

I'm leaning more towards Newcastle for now! still waiting a reply from Liverpool though. haha
I was reading through the comments for Newcastle and it seems like the environment there is pretty popular among students.

ranking wise its kinda the same isnt it?

I'm an overseas student so its kinda a disadvantage for me not being able to go for open day and stuff. :/

I'm in the same situation, not being able to decide! For me its between Newcastle, Liverpool and Edinburgh. I completely agree that the people at Newcastle seemed much more enthusiastic! At Liverpool they seemed a bit too enthusiastic about the sports facilities and not so bothered about the actual course. I've not had a chance to go to Edinburgh open day but I've heard it's great!
Original post by alex_2102k
Same with me: Applied to Edinburgh, Strathclyde, GSA and Bath (and Cardiff, but recieved my rejection early February); wrote an e-mail to Edinburgh (I am from Bulgaria and my GPA is 6.00, which is equivalent to A in all courses, and which should mean that I meet the minimum entry requirements), but recieved no reply.
And I still haven't heard anything from GSA and Strathclyde (I've sent my portfolio in January).
Bath requested me to send a certificate for two exams I have taken, but still haven't heard anything from then.

(And I am secretly jealous of all those who already have their offers:colone:)

I've got in to GSA and Edinburgh for architecture but I still haven't heard at all from Strathclyde too, which does seem weird as im pretty sure they said we'd know by end of February/early March? I think I might phone them up and find out what's happening.

And don't worry, im sure you'll do fine. Not hearing back yet doesn't necessarily mean anything :biggrin:
Rejection for UCL! Disappointed but I must admit, having had a look round, I massively preferred Manchester and I've heard bad things about UCL... Benefits being its location (the amazing London) and its lower grade requirements though.
Just gotta get AAA now!
Original post by singsongballadsmiles
I sent mine off late October, my deadline was the 4th of November. They did say they would reply mid-December but I only received my offer now...

Good luck! Is it the only one you're waiting for?

Yeah it is, and it's getting a little tedious waiting for them, since I think I had the exact same deadline as you! either that or the 6th or 10th of Nov... and I sent if off late October/early November too...

However not sure I'll go there anyway since I like the MEng Architecture course at Nottingham, but the crime rate is sort of worrying me, annoyingly...
Unconditional for Central Saint Martins!!

I have my Bartlett interview on Thursday, I've seen a lot of people mentioning its weird.. why is this?

Does anyone with offers have an idea of what kind of work they like to see..?
Original post by sillehcaptcha
Yeah it is, and it's getting a little tedious waiting for them, since I think I had the exact same deadline as you! either that or the 6th or 10th of Nov... and I sent if off late October/early November too...

However not sure I'll go there anyway since I like the MEng Architecture course at Nottingham, but the crime rate is sort of worrying me, annoyingly...

Yeah, I had to decide between Sheffield and Cardiff for my insurance, but in the end I'm going for Sheffield....

Anyway good luck! Hope you get the offer in the end.
Reply 1792
Original post by Ragnorock
I've got in to GSA and Edinburgh for architecture but I still haven't heard at all from Strathclyde too, which does seem weird as im pretty sure they said we'd know by end of February/early March? I think I might phone them up and find out what's happening.

And don't worry, im sure you'll do fine. Not hearing back yet doesn't necessarily mean anything :biggrin:

Oh well, when did you hear from GSA??? I have no nothing from them at all... Did they ask you for a portfolio? What grades did you have to get into edin? i am not sure y they said i didnt even meet the min requirments :frown:

but I must say I kinda hope to get to strathclyde :colone: cos GSA is apparently too "posh", dundee quite far away and edin said NO THANX
Original post by aeaeii
congrats for ur offer from Central Saint Martins!! :smile:
btw,, when did u hand in ur task and got interview offer from UCL?
cos I'm waiting for the answer after the task,,

I handed my task in on February 22nd and heard back on the 3rd of March.
The process is done in batches and it said for the people who handed the task in when I did the interviews would be between the 7-15th March, so I'm guessing you should hear back pretty soon after that hopefully!
Original post by aeaeii
Thx for ur reply ! :smile::smile: are u international student?

No problem, I'm an English applicant :smile:
Reply 1795
Original post by justdannyd
Unconditional for Central Saint Martins!!

I have my Bartlett interview on Thursday, I've seen a lot of people mentioning its weird.. why is this?

Does anyone with offers have an idea of what kind of work they like to see..?

Right having been to the interview, and still waiting on a reply, this is what i can say. It is weird because the conversation itself is really awkward, as in they never instigate the speech, they wait for you to say something all the time. Another thing is, if anyone has told you to prepare lots of stuff to talk about architecture, THAT IS WRONG, the only thing you might need to know is maybe the name of a single architect that you like and why, and perhaps your favourite city and why, but that will probs be the only stuff they will ask you on architecture if they ask you anything about it at all.

Most important thing i would say to plan, is BE ABLE TO TALK AT DECENT LENGTH ABOUT EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF WORK. As in actually prepare like a little bit of text you can try and memorise about each piece, because since they really want you to do a lot of talking, its important you can talk about your work and fill the time.

However if they start asking you about stuff you do outside of school and art etc. DON'T TRY AND BRING IT BACK TO TALKING ABOUT ART AND YOUR PIECES just go with the flow and talk about what you do in your spare time and relax.

In terms of artwork they like, i am pretty sure you can do pretty much any type, BUT THE TWO CRUCIAL THINGS I THINK THEY LIKE ARE:

1) Sketchbooks - If you have lots of sketchbooks, bring them, and bring them all, be able to talk through your whole sketchbook, and be able to communicate your ideas and your thinking behind most of your sketches. If you have sketchbooks, that is a MASSIVE plus.

2) Technical drawing ability - obviously this isn't something you can do a lot about right now, but what im saying is you don't need architectural technical drawings obviously, but you have to show them that you have reaaly good pencil skills. shading, accuracy, different types of sketching, really high quality drawing of anything, big or small will be good to take. If you havent got many, id say the most important thing is over the next 2 days try and sketch and draw as much as possible and get as many high quality drawings done as possible.

GOODLUCK TO YOU. Sorry the message is soooooooooooooo long. :smile:
Reply 1796
Original post by Amy-Margarita
I'm in the same situation, not being able to decide! For me its between Newcastle, Liverpool and Edinburgh. I completely agree that the people at Newcastle seemed much more enthusiastic! At Liverpool they seemed a bit too enthusiastic about the sports facilities and not so bothered about the actual course. I've not had a chance to go to Edinburgh open day but I've heard it's great!

heyyy! meaning to say you have been to Newcastle and Liverpool's open day? i have an impression from Edinburgh that they focus more on the technical aspect of arch rather than design though. but Edinburgh seems like the best choice out of Newcastle and Liverpool to me.

Have you seen either's facilities? (Newcastle and Liverpool)

(:
Reply 1797
Original post by Meodien
Hey how is the result of your other choices? Have you heard anything from them yet? :smile:

Well just one more offer from Brighton to study International Business so far, My other choices that haven't replied are starting to annoy me! you?
Reply 1798
Offer from Nottingham university for only 2 A's at A level!!
Original post by essien2
Right having been to the interview, and still waiting on a reply, this is what i can say. It is weird because the conversation itself is really awkward, as in they never instigate the speech, they wait for you to say something all the time. Another thing is, if anyone has told you to prepare lots of stuff to talk about architecture, THAT IS WRONG, the only thing you might need to know is maybe the name of a single architect that you like and why, and perhaps your favourite city and why, but that will probs be the only stuff they will ask you on architecture if they ask you anything about it at all.

Most important thing i would say to plan, is BE ABLE TO TALK AT DECENT LENGTH ABOUT EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF WORK. As in actually prepare like a little bit of text you can try and memorise about each piece, because since they really want you to do a lot of talking, its important you can talk about your work and fill the time.

However if they start asking you about stuff you do outside of school and art etc. DON'T TRY AND BRING IT BACK TO TALKING ABOUT ART AND YOUR PIECES just go with the flow and talk about what you do in your spare time and relax.

In terms of artwork they like, i am pretty sure you can do pretty much any type, BUT THE TWO CRUCIAL THINGS I THINK THEY LIKE ARE:

1) Sketchbooks - If you have lots of sketchbooks, bring them, and bring them all, be able to talk through your whole sketchbook, and be able to communicate your ideas and your thinking behind most of your sketches. If you have sketchbooks, that is a MASSIVE plus.

2) Technical drawing ability - obviously this isn't something you can do a lot about right now, but what im saying is you don't need architectural technical drawings obviously, but you have to show them that you have reaaly good pencil skills. shading, accuracy, different types of sketching, really high quality drawing of anything, big or small will be good to take. If you havent got many, id say the most important thing is over the next 2 days try and sketch and draw as much as possible and get as many high quality drawings done as possible.

GOODLUCK TO YOU. Sorry the message is soooooooooooooo long. :smile:

Thankyou veryyyy much :smile: The longggggg message is massively appreciated.. lots of detail :smile: I was hoping they would ask me to talk about my work more than anything else, I think i'd find that easier than reciting lots of architects and designs I like.

I have just zipped up my portfolio ready to try and take the awkwardness out of the conversation tomorrow.

thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending