The Student Room Group

(urgent) Heard anything about the City Internships Summer Program 2011 in London?

Has anyone heard anything about this program? I got a place on it and am wondering whether it's worth going. And i've got to decide whether to accept the offer pretty soon. Basically, it's £4,750 for two months, with a 2-month internship, accomodation, food and travel expenses in London included etc etc

Just wondering whether this program is purely for commercial profit or do interns actually have a prospect of getting hired, and whether its a fun experience? Thanks guys! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

where did you hear about them from? was it a long application process?
Reply 2
Hmm, so it's basically going to attract those who didn't/can't get onto summer internships/vacation schemes. I highly doubt any of the BB banks, big 4 or magic circle will be involved in such a programme. The website looks pretty rubbish as well. I'd like to hear from someone who's been on it before.
Reply 3
The uni sent an email around. Apparently many unis are doing that, even Harvard. so this organisation seems reliable. However, just thought it might be a commercial gimmick.

well, it's a much larger scale than normal internships because they are only for a week or two, whereas this is two full months. Its a whole new experience altogether rather than just a touch-and-go vac scheme. Maybe £4750 is reasonable considering that includes 2 months worth of food, accomdation, travelling to work, weekend trips away including Paris and workshops. Might not be much of a commercial profit, thinking about it.

Anyhows, commercial gimmick or not, two month internship is a great deal. Seems like fun from the prospectus actually but i dont know whether it'll be a good experience and if its worth the money and time. waiting for more feedback..
Reply 4
I got an offer as well! What kind of internship are you looking forward to do?
Reply 5
Original post by saenlt
The uni sent an email around. Apparently many unis are doing that, even Harvard. so this organisation seems reliable. However, just thought it might be a commercial gimmick.

well, it's a much larger scale than normal internships because they are only for a week or two, whereas this is two full months. Its a whole new experience altogether rather than just a touch-and-go vac scheme. Maybe £4750 is reasonable considering that includes 2 months worth of food, accomdation, travelling to work, weekend trips away including Paris and workshops. Might not be much of a commercial profit, thinking about it.

Anyhows, commercial gimmick or not, two month internship is a great deal. Seems like fun from the prospectus actually but i dont know whether it'll be a good experience and if its worth the money and time. waiting for more feedback..

normally an internship is for 3 months.
Reply 6
I spoke to my internship adviser on Tuesday.

She explained that they run the summer programme at cost, so the fee just covers the accommodation, food, daily travel to work, weekly seminars and some decent events and trips, etc, etc.

They earn their profit on the employer side by charging them a fee when they take their interns on as full time hires.

I'm going for an internship position with James Caird Asset Management (Top 30 Hedge Fund) and Close Brothers (asset management division) through their summer programme.

I should find out which of the two I'll be doing next week!
Reply 7
i just found out that i have been accepted but is nearly 5 grand worth it for two months ? seeing as i live in london anyway(no need for accomadation)!! what are the real prospects of a job to me if i do this?? and how much of a benefit will it be? and has anyone done it before isit genuine!
Reply 8
Original post by LAX Inc
I got an offer as well! What kind of internship are you looking forward to do?

do u think the offer is worth the money, or do u need to give them some deposit in advance, i'm considering the program too, and wondering whether its worth so much money and whether they can guarantee an internship , i am looking forward diong sth. relate to finance or investment area.
Reply 9
You have to pay for this internship? I thought working for free was bad enough.
Reply 10
Original post by Kittychang
do u think the offer is worth the money, or do u need to give them some deposit in advance, i'm considering the program too, and wondering whether its worth so much money and whether they can guarantee an internship , i am looking forward diong sth. relate to finance or investment area.

Same here. To be honest, (if you're rich or your family are willing to go for it) Then why not? However, I might not go for it as it very expensive. If you don't get any internship, they will refund your deposit.
Reply 11
I just accepted the city internship offer without accommodation.
Haha, what? You're paying them? Seriously? Kudos to City Internships, they've got a brilliant business plan.
Reply 13
Hey LAX, Inc, Isabel, was it worth it? Where were placed, did you get a job and overall how was it? I am thinking of it...the first time i saw it i disregarded it, sounded like a ponzi scheme, but now I am thinking about it actually
Reply 14
Yep... I'm joining my internship employer as a grad next summer. It was pretty good fun too.
Reply 15
ppl with one post, are fake, and trolls ignore!!!
Reply 16
Hey, can anyone tell me the experience??? I'm thinking to join this programme, but then I'm not sure if they are cheating for money or not?? could anyone please share something????
Reply 17
I'm a Econ student from Uni. of Copenhagen and thinking of an internship through city-internships, but can anyone tell of their experiences with them?
It seems impossible to get an IB internship through the normal recruiting process?

-J
Reply 18
Also considering the programme, but I've just called uni careers office and they've never heard of it - seems a bit weird that anybody with two grand to spare can automatically buy themselves into a career...
Reply 19
Original post by spark_
Also considering the programme, but I've just called uni careers office and they've never heard of it - seems a bit weird that anybody with two grand to spare can automatically buy themselves into a career...

Hi there,

Im considering applying for this internship too. Could you guys please share your experience of being selected for this internship. Many thanks for your help !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending