The Student Room Group

Very low paid studentships. Worth it?

Hi,

I've found a great PhD studentship at UWS (University of West of Scotland) with a really good project I would love to do, however, the studentship is only £6000 per annum. This seems a ridiculously small amount, for a PhD as you'll be too busy to do part time work. I've got a maxed out £2500 overdraft as well as a nearly maxed £500 credit card, do you think it's possible to live on £6000 given my current financial status.

Also, it's not just specific to the project I like it seems to be all of them on offer at UWS.

Anyone doing a PhD there?

Cheers,

Scroll to see replies

Thank you for your replies, i did a bit of looking around on their website and it seems they expect people not to be able to live off £6000 a year, I found this:

Hardship
Any enquiries about the Research Student
Assistance fund should be directed to
[email protected].

Please note that only those Home/EU
students in receipt of a £6000 stipend are
eligible.
Original post by DendritesAreCool
Hi,

I've found a great PhD studentship at UWS (University of West of Scotland) with a really good project I would love to do, however, the studentship is only £6000 per annum. This seems a ridiculously small amount, for a PhD as you'll be too busy to do part time work. I've got a maxed out £2500 overdraft as well as a nearly maxed £500 credit card, do you think it's possible to live on £6000 given my current financial status.

Also, it's not just specific to the project I like it seems to be all of them on offer at UWS.

Cheers,

Does this studentship include fees?

If you could find reasonable accommodation, it might be worth it. Remember that living costs in Scotland are lower than elsewhere in the UK.
Original post by tigermoth99
Does this studentship include fees?

If you could find reasonable accommodation, it might be worth it. Remember that living costs in Scotland are lower than elsewhere in the UK.

Yeah it includes fees:

Successful candidates will receive a £6000 stipend and payment of tuition fees (current value £3400).

Surely it can't be 1/2 as expensive to live in scotland can it? PerigeeApogee posted from the glasgow website saying you'd need at least £8,400 (and glasgow must be one of the cheapest right?)

Thanks so far guys,
Reply 4
These sorts of scholarships are quite common in Scotland; even St Andrews offers them. I suppose it depends upon your own circumstances, and I personally would not have any issue taking one if I was offered one.
UWS accommodation is £70 a week. Assuming a 36 week contract, you'd still have about £2,400 left for food and other costs.

So it would be doable. If you did some teaching at the uni and got some cash from that, you'd be sorted.
Reply 6
This isn't strange at all.

Some universities decide it is best to effectively split their studentships, offering two £6000k studentships in the place of one £12k one. This is actually fairly common, I know several people who have completed PhDs at russell group universities on half studentships. For masters courses it is basically the standard.

Everyone I know who has done it has found it hard, and had to spend a significant amount of time either at home or living rent free with a gf/bf. Whether you can make it work really depends on what you're like with money.
Unless you're in a severely underfunded field you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one that gives a reasonable stipend. I'd jog on. From your screenname I'm guessing you're in neuroscience or similar; if so you shouldn't find it too hard to get other projects with funding that doesn't take the piss.

"UWS accommodation is £70 a week. Assuming a 36 week contract, you'd still have about £2,400 left for food and other costs."

36 week contract on a phd ahaha
aha
maybe if your phd is in humanities, computing or something like that and you can work from home. good luck trying to persuade a supervisor on a lab based phd to give you 36 weeks.
Reply 8
Original post by PerigeeApogee

Perhaps it's more common than I first thought, then.

But still, I think it's an awful strategy. UWS are saying they're offering 100 studentships at £6,000 stipends plus fees.

The way I see it, they're only going to get 2nd rate students takign up those positions, as top students will find it somewhat easier to acquire a full stipend elsewhere and will probably make their decision on where to go based almost solely on that factor.

For a place like UWS, which should be trying to build a reputation in its early stages as a university, they really should be offering full stipends to attract the best talent.

At the very least they should have 75 studentships available - 25 at the full rate for top students and 50 at the half rate.

Yeah I don't think its a good idea, but its not unique
Reply 9
In addition, here's a breakdown of the cost of living for a PhD student as recommended by the University of Glasgow:

"In addition to tuition fees, you must take into account board and lodgings, books, stationery and equipment, clothing, travel, holidays and entertainment.

We would recommend allowing £8,400 for a single student per year and a minimum for £12,000 for a married couple. For each child, add £2,000 per year.

Please note that the following is only a very rough breakdown of costs per month for a single student in self-catering accomodation:

Accomodation: £350
Food : £170
Clothes: £60
Bus, underground, train fares: £30
Laundry, stationery, stamps, toiletries: £30
Entertainment: £60

In addition, you should include the following amounts annually:

Books - £300, Travel - £200."

I think you would have a terrible, terrible time living on £6,000 a year for 3-4 years. As if getting through a PhD isn't difficult and stressful enough without adding in massive financial barriers.

That's still nowehere near enough for some places e.g. London. I get about £16,000 and that barely covers anything. Fortunately teaching will bulk it up an extra couple of grand.
Reply 10

And I'm talking about the sciences/engineering, not humanities or anything where the funding SHOULD be drying up.

What BS! Some of the science PhD projects I've come across are utterly obscure and ridiculous, though that's symptomatic across all fields. There is no way that science PhDs are more "useful" than non-science PhDs.
Reply 11
Original post by LawQueen
What BS! Some of the science PhD projects I've come across are utterly obscure and ridiculous, though that's symptomatic across all fields. There is no way that science PhDs are more "useful" than non-science PhDs.

I know. The attitude that science is the only knowledge worth funding really angers me too.

LOL?
Reply 13
Original post by OdinsThunder
LOL?

Oh please I've had the unfortunate job of trawling through tonnes of scientific research as part of my health policy research and it's like reading stuff written by five year-olds sometimes with lots of really limited and basic understanding of ethical, social and policy issues. Get mad but it's us who advise the law and proposed scientific projects (all of which require ethical approval) which in turn governs your research so play nicely.
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh please I've had the unfortunate job of trawling through tonnes of scientific research as part of my health policy research and it's like reading stuff written by five year-olds sometimes with lots of really limited and basic understanding of ethical, social and policy issues. Get mad but it's us who advise the law and proposed scientific projects (all of which require ethical approval) which in turn governs your research so play nicely.

You have a limited understanding of the breadth and purpose of scientific research if you think it is all subject to the legal wranglings which concern you.

Why the **** do I need your approval to interpret a data feed from a satellite or solve some differential equations lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
You have a limited understanding of the breadth and purpose of scientific research if you think it is all subject to the legal wranglings which concern you.

Why the **** do I need your approval to interpret a data feed from a satellite or solve some differential equations lol

It's called research ethics, duh. And even if you don't need formal research ethics approval you still have to prove the usefulness of your research.

In regards to your former point, pot kettle black :wink: You blatently have a huge misunderstanding of research that takes place in arts and humanities. The research I carry out affects the everyday person just as much as science does so get of your high horse.

Ps being locked up in a room solving equations is just as abstract and philosophical as well, philosophy itself (not that I'm dampening the use of philosophy as it has contributed significantly to our society).
(edited 12 years ago)
It's called research ethics, duh. And even if you don't need formal research ethics approval you still have to prove the usefulness of your research.

In regards to your former point, pot kettle black :wink: You blatently have a huge misunderstanding of research that takes place in arts and humanities. The research I carry out affects the everyday person just as much as science does so get of your high horse.

Ps being locked up in a room solving equations is just as abstract and philosophical as well, philosophy itself (not that I'm dampening the use of philosophy as it has contributed significantly to our society).

“The theoretical broadening which comes from having many humanities subjects on the campus is offset by the general dopiness of the people who study these things...”Richard Feynman

Perhaps there is some usefulness in a small proportion of research in arts and humanities, but to say it stands on equal ground to the benefits science has given us is completely laughable, and when it comes to economic benefits there is no comparision. In fact there is a good argument that for nation like the UK, which has little natural resources and costly labour/manufacturing base, our continued economic prosperity is almost completely reliant on progress made in scientific and engineering fields. Much of the unecessary bureaucracy that can be introduced with your humanities research can only serve to build obstacles for progress where they need not exist.

PS The relationship between the physical realm and mathematics while is open to various philosphical interpretation, has made countless predictions about the world before they were observed experimentally.
(edited 12 years ago)
“The theoretical broadening which comes from having many humanities subjects on the campus is offset by the general dopiness of the people who study these things...”Richard Feynman

Perhaps there is some usefulness in a small proportion of research in arts and humanities, but to say it stands on equal ground to the benefits science has given us is completely laughable, and when it comes to economic benefits there is no comparision. In fact there is a good argument that for nation like the UK, which has little natural resources and costly labour/manufacturing base, our continued economic prosperity is almost completely reliant on progress made in scientific and engineering fields. Much of the unecessary bureaucracy that can be introduced with your humanities research can only serve to build obstacles for progress where they need not exist.

PS The relationship between the physical realm and mathematics while is open to various philosphical interpretation, has made countless predictions about the world before they were observed experimentally.

10/10
Original post by DendritesAreCool
Hi,

Cheers,

Just a silly question, but are you certain that it isn't a part-time PhD? That would be a normal stipend for somewhere that's expecting you to also have a part-time job.
Reply 19
Original post by RadioElectric
Just a silly question, but are you certain that it isn't a part-time PhD? That would be a normal stipend for somewhere that's expecting you to also have a part-time job.

Why have you completely ignored the posts in this thread? As a number of people have said, this is normal in Scotland for a number of differing reasons. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending