The Student Room Group

Very low paid studentships. Worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by evantej
Why have you completely ignored the posts in this thread? As a number of people have said, this is normal in Scotland for a number of differing reasons. :s-smilie:

Because you and that other person could possibly be wrong for this case? If it was funded by a research council I'd expect it to pay the same as doing a PhD in the UK. If it's funded by the university then it's up to them to underpay their students in whatever way they like.
Reply 21
Original post by RadioElectric
Because you and that other person could possibly be wrong for this case? If it was funded by a research council I'd expect it to pay the same as doing a PhD in the UK. If it's funded by the university then it's up to them to underpay their students in whatever way they like.

It was clear from the first post that it was not a research council studentship...
Reply 22
Original post by PerigeeApogee
Science PhD opportunities give rise to researchers in science, many of whom will make significant contributions to useful fields.

PhD opportunities in the arts gives rise to people who have intensive knowledge about fields for which there is no use whatsoever.

Most science PhDs themselves don't make grand contributions, but integrating the effect of PhD opportunities over the span of a career gives the result that they are infinitely more useful than those in the arts.

See I disagree because I know that my PhD in law (in itself also due to the nature of it) will lead me into a career where I will be advising health regulation (currently working on commercially available health care testing services) from a legal, bioethical and social standpoint. I can see the potential direct benefits of my research in society so I don't like brash comments that science is the only thing that's useful as I work really hard to make my research practical and directly relevant.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Science PhD opportunities give rise to researchers in science, many of whom will make significant contributions to useful fields.

PhD opportunities in the arts gives rise to people who have intensive knowledge about fields for which there is no use whatsoever.

Most science PhDs themselves don't make grand contributions, but integrating the effect of PhD opportunities over the span of a career gives the result that they are infinitely more useful than those in the arts.

As if your first comment was not bad enough, you continue with this incoherent nonsense. Go on. Cure cancer. Make humans live for 200 years. Solve world hunger. The problem of existence and life after death does not go aware just because some asocial scientist thinks he is making a useful contribution to humanity. It may come as a shock to you, but no one actually cares about the sciences, merely what they can get out of them, which is why you are the handmaiden to industry. Very little science is actually done for any benefit of humanity per se, rather the benefit of industry who seek to profit from it.

But just be aware that those useless humanities students you deride are the ones who subsidise your subject. They pay for the laboratory and tools that science students use without any thought for others. And they do so without any thought of financial reward unlike you.

Your division between the two disciplines shows historical ignorance of the highest order, not only of the humanities in general, but of science and how it developed as a subject. Go back to the shadows, troll.
Reply 24
ITT: Humanities students in denial about the value of their life's work.

I used to be a STEM student so your attempt to troll is water off a duck's back; I know the benefits and negatives of both disciplines, unlike you.
Original post by evantej
It may come as a shock to you, but no one actually cares about the sciences, merely what they can get out of them

It may come as a shock to you, but I (and I'm sure a great many others) care about the sciences - and not just because of what can be got out of them. Science graduates don't go into research and stay in academia for the money(!) but because they love their subject area - the same reason some humanities graduates stay in academia.

Disclosure: I'm a humanities/arts graduate returning to University to study science. I like both.
Which is more impressive, the motherboard of a laptop engineered to nanoscale perfection, or the philosophical treatise written on that laptop? The pixels of an e-reader screen, or the hopes and fears of the protagonists of a novel displayed upon that screen? Science - invaluable as it is - is nothing without the humanities. *prepares for neg onslaught*
Original post by brownbear88
Which is more impressive, the motherboard of a laptop engineered to nanoscale perfection, or the philosophical treatise written on that laptop? The pixels of an e-reader screen, or the hopes and fears of the protagonists of a novel displayed upon that screen? Science - invaluable as it is - is nothing without the humanities. *prepares for neg onslaught*

For me, the science aspects are far more impressive. It could be said that the humanities are nothing without the science to support them, because it is science that allows such ideas and thoughts to propagate throughout the world.
The same goes for so many things. Science of the sake of science often breeds spin off technologies which industries find useful... and not the other way about.

Absolutely.
Reply 29
Original post by el pollo diablo
For me, the science aspects are far more impressive. It could be said that the humanities are nothing without the science to support them, because it is science that allows such ideas and thoughts to propagate throughout the world.

You have things the wrong way round; you are committing a very basic philosophical error.

Youtube was created because people wanted to share videos more easily. Youtube did not precede the idea that propagated it. Likewise, its creators worked for Paypal. Paypal did not precede the idea of transferring money. Banks already existed. Paypal was created to share money online more easily. The key here is more easily. The problem has to exist before a solution can be found. Once a solution is found new problems arise, for example copyright issues and file-size issues with respect to uploading videos at Youtube, and the process continues.

While I suppose it depends upon your definition of science, and I do not personally equate what you are calling science with what is science (in the Greek sense, i.e. theoria (theoretical knowledge), where is the science in a discussion between two Greek philosophers talking about what constitutes essence? In this sense, engineering (i.e. 'the science aspects') is of small historical value in the grand scheme of things (i.e. the motherboard of a laptop in the example above), and I cannot help sense the irony in that it is often the humanities students who are generally among the only ones who actively champion the historical significance of engineered solutions, albeit in a superficial way sometimes.

What is worth applauding is the theoria behind the engineered solution. And contrary to the opinions on this thread, the theoria is not exclusive to science nor is it distinct from the humanities in any meaningful sense.
Reply 30
Not to mention that he completely got the relationship between science and industry wrong.

Most of the technologies that have made our modern world what it is do not exist because industry told science that it could make money out of it, and demanded that science put its research efforts into making them.

For example, laptops, mobile phones, smart phones, ipods, ipads, PDAs, e-readers, etc, etc, etc are all possible because of the miniturisation of electronics.

This didn't occur because industry demanded that science made it happen. Most of the efforts in miniturisation of technology came from the space race, when it was paramount that the electronic systems used to control the shuttle were small enough to be launched into space. And the space race certainly wasn't a directly industrially relevant affair. That was about scientists saying... okay, let's push ourselves and see if we can do something really interesting.

The same goes for so many things. Science of the sake of science often breeds spin off technologies which industries find useful... and not the other way about.

I did not get the relationship between science and industry wrong at all, and I fail to see how any of this disproves my suggestion that science is the handmaiden of industry? Your second sentence is not grammatical so I am unsure what distinction you trying to make. But if you are suggesting that the reason that a mobile phone exists is because of science (i.e. [miniaturisation] of electronics) then you are wrong. They exist because people wanted to talk over long distances more easily. A solution was engineered as a result. Likewise, the miniaturisation of electronics in the space race did not come about through science either. It came about because two countries wanted to dominate one other symbolically; the actual engineering solution involved is completely superfluous to humanity, which was why it was seen to be unsustainable. But it does prove that there are very few large-scale science projects that are for the benefit of mankind; the collaboration involved in CERN is purely for financial reasons.

If any science was involved (i.e. theoria) then you would find that almost all research is financially unsustainable because you cannot commodify theoria, but you can commodify science (i.e. engineered solutions); for example, I doubt Issac Newton profited financially from his Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica. Likewise, Tim Berners-Lee did not profit financially from the internet, and there is a part of me that suggests he could not have profited from it it was to be successful. But God knows humanity profited from both.

You may think I am overemphasising the distinction between the two (and being cynical), but the distinction needs to be made. Because with it, you find that almost all research done is completely superfluous, and I doubt any scientist in a UK university would say that their department and all the research they do there is wholly beneficial to humanity.

Stem-cell research and theoretical physics, for example, is theoria. Pharmaceutical research is not. The latter might save some peoples lives by developing medicines, but its main prerogative is and will always be to generate wealth; it is a short-term solution to short-term problems, and in this sense it cannot just be struck off because proper scientific research takes a long time; the likes of Nicolaus Copernicus do not spring out of the ground every generation. That is also not to say theoria cannot be profited from (nuclear physics is a good example of a way in which it can), but research development should kept out of the classroom, so to speak.

I hope you find this sort of discussion more to your liking. It would be interesting to know what areas of research you are involved in.
Original post by evantej
You have things the wrong way round; you are committing a very basic philosophical error.

Youtube was created because people wanted to share videos more easily. Youtube did not precede the idea that propagated it. Likewise, its creators worked for Paypal. Paypal did not precede the idea of transferring money. Banks already existed. Paypal was created to share money online more easily. The key here is more easily. The problem has to exist before a solution can be found. Once a solution is found new problems arise, for example copyright issues and file-size issues with respect to uploading videos at Youtube, and the process continues.

While I suppose it depends upon your definition of science, and I do not personally equate what you are calling science with what is science (in the Greek sense, i.e. theoria (theoretical knowledge), where is the science in a discussion between two Greek philosophers talking about what constitutes essence? In this sense, engineering (i.e. 'the science aspects') is of small historical value in the grand scheme of things (i.e. the motherboard of a laptop in the example above), and I cannot help sense the irony in that it is often the humanities students who are generally among the only ones who actively champion the historical significance of engineered solutions, albeit in a superficial way sometimes.

What is worth applauding is the theoria behind the engineered solution. And contrary to the opinions on this thread, the theoria is not exclusive to science nor is it distinct from the humanities in any meaningful sense.

Youtube and Paypal could hardly be qualified as scientific advancement in the field of CS.

That's advancement :
http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/18/ibm-brain-science-technology-breakthroughs-supercomputer.html even if a bit useless at first sight.

Or that :
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110401085103.htm

If my command of English was better I will slap you as you tried to slap him, but sadly I can't.

However this debate seems a bit stupid and useless. From human perspective History or Politics must be as important as Physics or Computer Science just in a different way.
Reply 32
Original post by violenti
Hi there ! I just stumbled upon your post, and am really pleased to see that there is a fellow MPhil/PhD Law researcher at Bristol who is doing research that will have real and relevant commercial application to the subject matter they are researching , as opposed to much of the turgid, irrelevant grot produced by most PhD researchers! What year are you in, and how are you finding it generally? I am due to upgrade in October 2011. Also my research is primarily to do with corporate governance and regulation in the professions, with more than a smattering of Econometrics thrown in too!

Hey, I'm not at Bristol, based in London. What are you researching? Good luck with upgrade, mine was at the beginning of this month!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending