The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Sculler
Maths (analyzing a certain function):

Me:and this shouldn't affect the roots, which should be the same as sin x
Him:Well I don't think they are actually
Me:OK, let's differentiate it then...

(fair point though, the roots were different :smile: )

ah well

Lol I applied to oxford, but since we don't have a thread like this...

My interviewer was obsessed with whiteboards and made me write my calculations down. I was doing fractions which came to be 1/24

him: are you sure that's right
me:yea i think so
Him: Check again
Me: (starts to panic and rubbed my answer off)
Him: oh wait...actually that was right

Me :mad:
Reply 61
At Jesus, Cambridge:

Him: It's not about your answers, it's about your ideas and how you think
Me: I see
Him: *long and complicated description of a biochemical process* "so why wouldn't you want X?"
Me: Sorry? Why would you want X?
Him: No, why WOULDN'T you want X
Me: oh! *long silence* ummm..........is it...?
Him: No
Me: maybe it's .......?
Him: No
etc.etc.
Him: Let's move on. I don't think you've grasped this problem
Me: I realise that.

Him: Was your stats test a 1 or 2-tailed test?
Me: What? Sorry? What's 1-tailed test?
Him: *starts to explain*
Me: *blank look*
Him: You know what, never mind, it's not worth it

lol. all 3 of my interviews were like this...whoops
Reply 62
**noooni**
its not going to be bad is it?!

what do you mean? you mean 'good for you' is bad? sarcasm?

why do you think the membrane is highly folded..

so they can produce much more ATP as most ATP are produced on the membrane of the mitocondria..

Yes Yes.. Good for you!
I am the ultimate classic fool:

I was given a long passage to read and make notes on, to which the interviewer asked me about the main themes.. i blablabla the whole thing cause i didnt get a single word the passage said.. well maybe the "and" and "but" parts!
Then she asked me what some word meant - that i got right. Then she asked me what another phrase meant (you had to figure this out from the general meaning of the passage) and she tried helping me out by telling me to look at the second sentence in the last paragraph. So i looked at the THIRD.. still had no idea what she was on about and spoke about the THIRD sentence. She tells me to look at the SECOND, i look at the THIRD.. then i check again and realize ive been looking at the wrong bloody sentence.. so i apologise and FINALLY get the right bloody answer!! AARRGGHH what an idiot! God knows what she thinks of me, actually i have a pretty clear idea of what she thinks of me!
Reply 64
Well, a mistake like that is nothing to do with your ability in English. Hopefully she'll see it was a silly mistake induced by nervousness, and listen to what you actually said. :smile:
Reply 65
My friend applied for medicine at cambridge a couple of years ago (wow I cant believe it was so long ago now lol) and when she finished her interview just as she left the room she turned around and saw the interviewer shaking his head... :rolleyes: She didnt get in as she suspected lol.
Lightning
what do you mean? you mean 'good for you' is bad? sarcasm?

why do you think the membrane is highly folded..

so they can produce much more ATP as most ATP are produced on the membrane of the mitocondria..

Yes Yes.. Good for you!

I mean stop panicking - 'good for you' means 'good for you' if they didnt like your answer they would have said 'thats wrong' l
Reply 67
jst be glad your interviewer didnt laf at you. (trust me he definatly wasnt laffing with me!)
maybe he laughed at you because you said 'lafed' :smile:
Reply 69
Jiffa
jst be glad your interviewer didnt laf at you. (trust me he definatly wasnt laffing with me!)

I know the feeling... strangely enough you feel proud of yourself... until you realise he is laughing @ you...

--------------

**noooni**
maybe he laughed at you because you said 'lafed' :smile:

People have as much right to say "laf" as others have to say "glars" (glass)

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 70
Bumblebee3
Incidentally, how are you getting on Rushda? You are a 2nd year now?

B xx

Wow, it's Haz! :eek:

First year :smile:
Reply 71
Wow....what a funny thread. Thing with most of these, is that it probably sounded alot worse at the time than they actually were. Dont panic so much guys!

So now imagine this mid-interview:
*DoS stares out of window looking bored*
DoS: So have you read any interesting maths books lately?
(at this point I felt really nervous,fed up and antagonistic)
Me : Do you actually care?
*brief pause*
DoS: No

Doh!!!!!!!! :frown:

I cringe everytime I think of it...why on earth did I have to open my big mouth? :redface:
Reply 72
^ That was brave of you ^
Adhsur
Wow, it's Haz! :eek:

First year :smile:

The one and only :biggrin: I hope all is going well and you have so far managed to avoid the Maypole on a Friday night...

--------------

Gemini
Wow....what a funny thread. Thing with most of these, is that it probably sounded alot worse at the time than they actually were. Dont panic so much guys!

So now imagine this mid-interview:
*DoS stares out of window looking bored*
DoS: So have you read any interesting maths books lately?
(at this point I felt really nervous,fed up and antagonistic)
Me : Do you actually care?
*brief pause*
DoS: No

Doh!!!!!!!! :frown:

I cringe everytime I think of it...why on earth did I have to open my big mouth? :redface:

This isn't necessarily bad - in my interview my DOS asked me 'if I give you an offer based on you retaking 1 paper and getting an A on it would that be ok?' and I said that it certainly wasn't ok and proceeded to vent all my stress about the stupid (then new) A' level system all over her. I think she was quite taken aback. worked though.

Latest

Trending

Trending