The Student Room Group

Durham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Normandy114
Did anyone else get a weird blank email this evening from Durham University?

Yes - my teenager did. Probably went to those who didn't get offfers and most of those won't watch this thread now.
Original post by parentlurker
Yes - my teenager did. Probably went to those who didn't get offfers and most of those won't watch this thread now.

Ah thanks, just found it a bit strange to get such a weird email.
Ah thanks, just found it a bit strange to get such a weird email.

Yes it was peculiar. I guess they'll send some sort of apology sometime.
Reply 403
Hi . I want to ask a question about medical collage . Majored period when it exactly begin after graduated or during the course

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by CdnBrad
I called the University on Monday and spoke with them, they said that we should hear back about accommodations in August.

Thank you! I was about to resort to calling them. Which college did you apply for? I went for Stevenson.
Thanks again!
Reply 405
Original post by goldilocksa
Thank you! I was about to resort to calling them. Which college did you apply for? I went for Stevenson.
Thanks again!

I'll be with Stevenson as well. I applied for the Mezzino accommodations, I think it will suit me better there because I'm a mature student.
Thanks again!

Original post by CdnBrad
I'll be with Stevenson as well. I applied for the Mezzino accommodations, I think it will suit me better there because I'm a mature student.

Fantastic choices you two. Look forward to seeing you in September and make sure to get involved with the fresher events - there's quieter and louder nights to choose so whichever you'd prefer.

Original post by B brine
Hi . I want to ask a question about medical collage . Majored period when it exactly begin after graduated or during the course

Hmm, I'll take a stab at this. In the UK, medicine is an undergraduate degree (although there is a 4-year accelerated course for post-graduates [it is, however, still the same undergraduate degree]). It's also a vocational degree so it doesn't come with an honour classification, nor does it use a major and minor system.

On that score then, the actual medicine part - If I'm understanding what you mean by majored - begins during the course. Most post-degree qualifications are gained while working as a doctor.
Reply 407
Hi guys, sorry if this has been addressed already, hopefully someone will see it. I've accepted an offer to go for Med at John Snow, booked onto the campus tour which is supposedly tomorrow. Despite numerous attempts to contact the college/campus, and after speaking to someone who said I was on the list of people, I still don't exactly know where or when these tours start. Anyone help me out? No information has been sent out, or to me at least.
Just to check I've filled out the Student Finance correctly- I can't find an option for Durham Medicine Phase 1 (Years 1 and 2), but I could find an option for Newcastle Medicine Phase 2 (Years 3-5). At the moment my registered course is Newcastle Medicine (Years 1-5), just to check this is right? Thanks in advance for any help!
Just to check I've filled out the Student Finance correctly- I can't find an option for Durham Medicine Phase 1 (Years 1 and 2), but I could find an option for Newcastle Medicine Phase 2 (Years 3-5). At the moment my registered course is Newcastle Medicine (Years 1-5), just to check this is right? Thanks in advance for any help!

I would have thought so, since officially Medicine at Durham is just a campus option of Newcastle. Just to be safe though I'd give Durham an email/call, they'll know what to put down :smile:.
I would have thought so, since officially Medicine at Durham is just a campus option of Newcastle. Just to be safe though I'd give Durham an email/call, they'll know what to put down :smile:.

Surprisingly (at least I thought so as I had the same idea as you) the student finance option is 'DURHAM A100 5 YEARS', even though only Phase 1 is taught at the Stockton Campus
Thanks for your advice :smile:
Reply 411
Congrats to everyone whos got in. It really is a fantastic uni and you're going to love it! Out of curiosity any indians coming to Durham? If anyone has any questions feel free to send them to me, and I'll try my best to answer them
Original post by ct09
Congrats to everyone whos got in. It really is a fantastic uni and you're going to love it! Out of curiosity any indians coming to Durham? If anyone has any questions feel free to send them to me, and I'll try my best to answer them

Ohhhhh you, I bet I can guess who this is. Love, your husband :P
Reply 413
Original post by Blorcyn
Ohhhhh you, I bet I can guess who this is. Love, your husband :P

Lol you love me so much! I'd laugh if one of the kids we get is from here too.
Reply 414
Hey! Does anyone know about this as12 thing? I received an email a couple of days ago about registering with newcastle university, but nothing from Durham so far, so I rang up John Snow and they said I need to send an email to [email protected] to formally accept my offer? Anyone know anything about this? So confused.
Original post by abhi1393
Hey! Does anyone know about this as12 thing? I received an email a couple of days ago about registering with newcastle university, but nothing from Durham so far, so I rang up John Snow and they said I need to send an email to [email protected] to formally accept my offer? Anyone know anything about this? So confused.

I remember this. It's to formally say you've achieved the results? Just send an email and see if you get a reply.

It's all explained in the college welcome pack that you get (I only got mine yesterday and a few people on here haven't received it yet). You have to email them saying whether you accept the place at the uni, quote your course code, UCAS number and Unique PIN (which I think you get in the welcome pack so this isn't really much use, sorry :frown: ) It also explains how/when to enrol with Durham Uni.
I got an email from Newcastle also about registering but it was sent in error as we're off to Durham :smile:
I guess if it doesn't come within the next few days you could always check with John Snow (I chose Stevo but can't imagine the process is much different).
Good luck, hope it all gets sorted for you :smile:
Reply 417
It's all explained in the college welcome pack that you get (I only got mine yesterday and a few people on here haven't received it yet). You have to email them saying whether you accept the place at the uni, quote your course code, UCAS number and Unique PIN (which I think you get in the welcome pack so this isn't really much use, sorry :frown: ) It also explains how/when to enrol with Durham Uni.
I got an email from Newcastle also about registering but it was sent in error as we're off to Durham :smile:
I guess if it doesn't come within the next few days you could always check with John Snow (I chose Stevo but can't imagine the process is much different).
Good luck, hope it all gets sorted for you :smile:

Hey :smile: thanks for the reply! I actually have my PIN, it came with some of the letters they sent in the first place. I just wondered if I had missed something as I am so confused! In the process of sorting it all though. Also about Newcastle, I rang Durham and apparently we have to register with both since the degree is run by Newcastle? :confused:
Hey :smile: thanks for the reply! I actually have my PIN, it came with some of the letters they sent in the first place. I just wondered if I had missed something as I am so confused! In the process of sorting it all though. Also about Newcastle, I rang Durham and apparently we have to register with both since the degree is run by Newcastle? :confused:

Yeah it all seems a bit confusing at the moment! I can't seem to access the online college accommodation agreement contract thing either :/ on the AES (Stephenson) I'll be giving them an email tomorrow, I think.
'You may have received an e-mail in the last few days giving you instructions about registering with Newcastle University. This e-mail was sent in error, as you will be studying with Durham University for the first 2 years of your programme you only need to register with Durham at this time. If you have registered with Newcastle, don’t worry, we will amend your record and you do not need to do anything else.' I got this from Newcastle last week, which sounds to me as if we only have to enrol with Durham at the moment(?)
Have you got your College Welcome Pack yet? :smile:
Hope everything gets sorted!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 419
Do Durham have a cut of point for the UKCAT?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending